Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

8 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'm not sure why we're still arguing about the Argentina thing. The club, players and Argentine FA reached a compromise that everybody (on the outside) seemed fine with. That's the end of it I am sure. 

Buendia isn't being punished. Martinez walked straight back into the team, for one. 

There was absolutely no way Aston Villa were fine with the compromise. Our hands were completely tied. I imagine the people running this massive investment were not happy we lost Martinez and Buendia for the Chelsea match (and possibly more). Who's to say we wouldn't have beaten Chelsea with Martinez in the side? 

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

There was absolutely no way Aston Villa were fine with the compromise. Our hands were completely tied. I imagine the people running this massive investment were not happy we lost Martinez and Buendia for the Chelsea match (and possibly more). Who's to say we wouldn't have beaten Chelsea with Martinez in the side? 

I am using 'fine' in the loosest sense of the word. Fine with the compromise itself rather than the actual facts of the matter. Aston Villa have virtually no control over when FIFA schedule international football matches and they absolutely must understand their players desire to represent their country. If they don't, then what signal does that send? 

So fine is not the optimum word for it, but use your imagination. 

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Again, you've missed my point. I am NOT against International call ups, in fact, I think it's f****** great we have internationals in our side. What I am against, is nobody using common sense in a global pandemic where travel between countries is severely restricted and quarantine rules apply almost explicitly for anybody who crosses a border. 

Argentina did not have to call up Emi Buendia if they had no intention of playing him, which they didn't. This daft idea that he could have played if 10 other players got injured is just ludicrous. He was made to fly out to South America for two training sessions and as a result we lost our record signing for 2 matches and potentially more due to lack of match fitness. That's without factoring in the human element where a man has travelled from a pretty severely hit Covid region to several others..

Notice how I am not arguing this case for Martinez? Why? Because I get that. They were WCQ's and they wanted one of the best goalkeepers in the world in their side to help them win. I mean, they completely f****** that up too seeing as the match was called off against Brazil after ten mins but at least I (kind of) understand that. 

You won't change my mind on it. Buendia shouldn't have travelled. It was a completely pointless exercise in my view in a world where everyone is making crazy sacrifices and getting by under some pretty stringent restrictions. 

I agree with most of this right up to the point where you are seemingly blaming Buendia. It's odd, because otherwise you seem to understand that the situation was ridiculous and the lad himself had no real say or choice if he wants to be considered for his country in the future. 

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Again, you've missed my point. I am NOT against International call ups, in fact, I think it's f****** great we have internationals in our side. What I am against, is nobody using common sense in a global pandemic where travel between countries is severely restricted and quarantine rules apply almost explicitly for anybody who crosses a border. 

Argentina did not have to call up Emi Buendia if they had no intention of playing him, which they didn't. This daft idea that he could have played if 10 other players got injured is just ludicrous. He was made to fly out to South America for two training sessions and as a result we lost our record signing for 2 matches and potentially more due to lack of match fitness. That's without factoring in the human element where a man has travelled from a pretty severely hit Covid region to several others..

Notice how I am not arguing this case for Martinez? Why? Because I get that. They were WCQ's and they wanted one of the best goalkeepers in the world in their side to help them win. I mean, they completely f****** that up too seeing as the match was called off against Brazil after ten mins but at least I (kind of) understand that. 

You won't change my mind on it. Buendia shouldn't have travelled. It was a completely pointless exercise in my view in a world where everyone is making crazy sacrifices and getting by under some pretty stringent restrictions. 

You're using hindsight to make your point. It's only a bad decision because he didn't play. So now Buendia is only allowed to travel if he is going to make the match day squad.  Problem is he doesn't know if he makes the squad unless he travels. So now you have Buendia in a catch 22 where only you get to be right. 

Really I think you are just looking to have a moan and after a 3-0 win finding a scapegoat isn't easy. Dean, The Club and Buendia all seem pretty satisfied with how everything turned out. The only person unhappy with this situation is you.

13 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

You're using hindsight to make your point. It's only a bad decision because he didn't play. So now Buendia is only allowed to travel if he is going to make the match day squad.  Problem is he doesn't know if he makes the squad unless he travels. So now you have Buendia in a catch 22 where only you get to be right. 

Really I think you are just looking to have a moan and after a 3-0 win finding a scapegoat isn't easy. Dean, The Club and Buendia all seem pretty satisfied with how everything turned out. The only person unhappy with this situation is you.

Lol.

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

overall it hink he did great.

some great bits, some not so great bits, but worked really really hard, and a lovely penalty at the end.

He was poor for most of the game. Genuinely don’t know what game you were watching. He needs to get fit and get on the weights 

Just now, WHY said:

He was poor for most of the game. Genuinely don’t know what game you were watching. He needs to get fit and get on the weights 

well i question what game you were watching if you thought he was poor.

Yeah he wasnt amazing, but he certainly wasnt poor, yes he was a bit up and down in terms of passes etc, but on top of that he worked his a** off right until the end.

He will get there i have no doubt.

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

Yeah he wasnt amazing, but he certainly wasnt poor, yes he was a bit up and down in terms of passes etc, but on top of that he worked his a** off right until the end.

Work rate was certainly there but didn't really show his quality today. 

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

He looked miles off it for the most part. He took one free kick that went straight out in a good position. Didn’t do anything of note for 90 minutes. He will get better but let’s not try a pretend he was great because we paid £30 odd million for him.

Edited by WHY

Hasn't he been injured for quite a few months before signing for us? Will take time to get settled and get his match fitness back. I've noticed he does plenty of clever layoffs and backheels where his teammates simply isn't on the same wavelength. Give it some time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â