Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

8 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Not sure why in a World Cup cycle anyone would expect a player to reject a call up and the chance to make his debut for his national team

I get your point but at some stage in the process, there should have been a conversation along the lines of…

’Am I going to play? If not, do you think it’s worth it considering there is a global pandemic and the consequences of international travel are extremely detrimental to my employer. I’m happy to come and work really hard if it means I’ll get my cap but can we just be open and honest seeing as it’s a really delicate situation’.

If Buendia had played or was an Argentine regular then fair enough, but he isn’t and calling anyone up who wasn’t going to play was beyond stupid in my book.

Edited by Delphinho123

13 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I get your point but at some stage in the process, there should have been a conversation along the lines of…

’Am I going to play? If not, do you think it’s worth it considering there is a global pandemic and the consequences of international travel are extremely detrimental to my employer. I’m happy to come and work really hard if it means I’ll get my cap but can we just be open and honest seeing as it’s a really delicate situation’.

If Buendia had played or was an Argentine regular then fair enough, but he isn’t and calling anyone up who wasn’t going to play was beyond stupid in my book.

I'm fairly confident Emi thought that he would at least get a shot. He probably thinks he needed to go to have a shot at being selected for the World Cup which is around the corner. I really can't begrudge him that as I'm sure it would mean the world to him to represent his country at an international tournament.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Not sure why in a World Cup cycle anyone would expect a player to reject a call up and the chance to make his debut for his national team

Exactly.

They would only do the same thing themselves if they were in the same position Buendia was.

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Should he have had a conversation with Smith before the Everton game and asked if he was going to play? And if not, stayed at home?

if he didn’t take his place in the squad, someone else would’ve.  And he’d probably never get called up again.

He’s not Messi that he can call the shots.  There’s probably another 30 players like him out there willing to give their left nut to get a chance of being called up.

He’d likely never recover from turning down a call up.

He made the right call.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

’Am I going to play?

I think the fact the Buendia has yet to play for Argentina is more reason for him to travel than if he was a regular in the team. He obviously wants to get in the team and get a ticket on the place to the WC in Qatar. Refusing to turn up when selected would surely damage his chances of that

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Thug said:

Should he have had a conversation with Smith before the Everton game and asked if he was going to play? And if not, stayed at home?

if he didn’t take his place in the squad, someone else would’ve.  And he’d probably never get called up again.

He’s not Messi that he can call the shots.  There’s probably another 30 players like him out there willing to give their left nut to get a chance of being called up.

He’d likely never recover from turning down a call up.

He made the right call.  

You missed my point (or I didn’t get it across properly!). I totally agree that most players would love the chance to be called up and wouldn’t want to miss out.

My point in this debate is that the Argentina manager and FA should have had the common sense to limit the amount of players they were calling up to those they knew were going to play and feature at some stage. They probably should have also checked on the rules given the farce that occurred in Brazil. 

I don’t blame Buendia for necessarily wanting to go (albeit it annoyed me tbh), I’m more angry at the national team for making fringe players go to all that trouble for a couple of training sessions.

TBH, it’s been a bugbear of mine for a while - the amount of players called up to  national teams. You don’t need squads of 26 and 28 for a couple of games of football where you can use a maximum of 14 players in each match. Seems daft to me. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

My point in this debate is that the Argentina manager and FA should have had the common sense to limit the amount of players they were calling up to those they knew were going to play and feature at some stage. They probably should have also checked on the rules given the farce that occurred in Brazil. 

Why would the Argentina manager elect not to have his strongest squad available. He is judged only on how Argentina perform and not the clubs the players play for. I can't see why any international manager would allow players to stay with their club for a very important set of WC qualifiers.

1 hour ago, Peter Griffin said:

Why would the Argentina manager elect not to have his strongest squad available. He is judged only on how Argentina perform and not the clubs the players play for. I can't see why any international manager would allow players to stay with their club for a very important set of WC qualifiers.

But Buendia wasn't even in the squad. Surely they knew that before?

You can't have it both ways. If you want the young and hungry stars of world football then you will have to deal with them getting called up to their national team. 

I bet the PL relegation champions of 2015 didn't have this headache. Pretty sure none of us want to go back there. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

The Matchday squad..
Come on man, you know what I mean. 

How would he know he wouldn't be in the match day squad over a week before the game? Argentina could easily have injures or suspensions which could have given Emi an opportunity. 

7 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Is the same going to happen with the next international break? Or is Argentina no longer on the red list?

Most of Sth America in on the Red List, some countries are on amber. Tbh, I suppose it depends on whether the games are home or away. Either way it looks bad for us. I hope we the countries come off the Red list. We also have the African Cup of Nations from Jan 9th to Feb 6th. That is long enough and then add a couple of weeks isolation to that. I think it is just Nakamba and Traore that impacts

25 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

How would he know he wouldn't be in the match day squad over a week before the game? Argentina could easily have injures or suspensions which could have given Emi an opportunity. 

Let's just agree to disagree. Your rebuttal is always going to be, 'Well, he could have played'.

Ultimately, Buendia travelled to Argentina for a couple of training sessions and didn't make the match-day squad for either game as many predicted would happen and I believe happened at the Copa America. If you can't see the absolute nonsense in him travelling then there is no point discussing it. Surely, someone, somewhere along the line could have stepped in with some common sense and not made the players who were only going to get game time if they had 13 injuries travel.

Oh, and if he had played in the Brazil match, he'd have been deported like Martinez and co. were but that's a completely different farce. 

34 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

You can't have it both ways. If you want the young and hungry stars of world football then you will have to deal with them getting called up to their national team. 

I bet the PL relegation champions of 2015 didn't have this headache. Pretty sure none of us want to go back there. 

So, we can't be unhappy about our record signing travelling to Argentina for a couple of training sessions and subsequently missing two PL games because we were sh*t in 2015? 

Sorry, don't see the logic there. 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

So, we can't be unhappy about our record signing travelling to Argentina for a couple of training sessions and subsequently missing two PL games because we were sh*t in 2015? 

Sorry, don't see the logic there. 

I just used the 2015 squad as an example. Pick any sh*t team and the fact is still the same.  The issue you are complaining about is true for any team with top tier talent. If you don't want this issue then go follow a conference team. No worries of international call up there. 

I'm not sure why we're still arguing about the Argentina thing. The club, players and Argentine FA reached a compromise that everybody (on the outside) seemed fine with. That's the end of it I am sure. 

Buendia isn't being punished. Martinez walked straight back into the team, for one. 

18 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

I just used the 2015 squad as an example. Pick any sh*t team and the fact is still the same.  The issue you are complaining about is true for any team with top tier talent. If you don't want this issue then go follow a conference team. No worries of international call up there. 

Again, you've missed my point. I am NOT against International call ups, in fact, I think it's f****** great we have internationals in our side. What I am against, is nobody using common sense in a global pandemic where travel between countries is severely restricted and quarantine rules apply almost explicitly for anybody who crosses a border. 

Argentina did not have to call up Emi Buendia if they had no intention of playing him, which they didn't. This daft idea that he could have played if 10 other players got injured is just ludicrous. He was made to fly out to South America for two training sessions and as a result we lost our record signing for 2 matches and potentially more due to lack of match fitness. That's without factoring in the human element where a man has travelled from a pretty severely hit Covid region to several others..

Notice how I am not arguing this case for Martinez? Why? Because I get that. They were WCQ's and they wanted one of the best goalkeepers in the world in their side to help them win. I mean, they completely f****** that up too seeing as the match was called off against Brazil after ten mins but at least I (kind of) understand that. 

You won't change my mind on it. Buendia shouldn't have travelled. It was a completely pointless exercise in my view in a world where everyone is making crazy sacrifices and getting by under some pretty stringent restrictions. 

• Like 1

Â