Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

7 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

What's wrong with Steer? Has he done anything to deserve this lack of faith? He was good for us in the Championship, helped us get promoted. Many people thought he should have been given a chance as our number one for our first season back in the Premier League. I don't remember him having any howlers for us. Ok he's not as good as Martinez but as a back up and filling in for a few games a year, surely he is fine.

I think some people just assume he's terrible because they haven't seen him play for ages and he's not our first, or sometimes even second choice. Having a second top class goalkeeper sitting on the bench all season is not going to be realistic unless we have European competition to rotate them in. So wait until next season and give Steer a break for goodness sake!

He’s 28 and barely ever played above league 1 level. He’s a top lad Jed and he’s given us a couple of cracking moments but he is not a PL level keeper in a million years. I will be amazed if we don’t sign another keeper.

5 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

What's wrong with Steer? Has he done anything to deserve this lack of faith? He was good for us in the Championship, helped us get promoted. Many people thought he should have been given a chance as our number one for our first season back in the Premier League. I don't remember him having any howlers for us. Ok he's not as good as Martinez but as a back up and filling in for a few games a year, surely he is fine.

I think some people just assume he's terrible because they haven't seen him play for ages and he's not our first, or sometimes even second choice. Having a second top class goalkeeper sitting on the bench all season is not going to be realistic unless we have European competition to rotate them in. So wait until next season and give Steer a break for goodness sake!

Personally I never rated Steer. I said on the train after the play off win that in order to stay up one of the most important signings would be a keeper. Steer just never seemed to have the confidence of the players, they just seemed more nervous around him. Then he had a couple of mistakes in him, I’m sure even against Albion where he saved the penalties, he nearly gifted them a goal with a kick out that went directly to a striker. 

Ive just noticed it’s the Buendia thread, so getting in topic, he’ll grow into the team especially with Traore and Bailey running the wings outside him.

2 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

If they stay for Bolivia (10/09) & it's a WC Qualifier so I expect they will. They'll miss Chelsea (11/09) and Everton (18/09) but be back for Man U (25/09)

If they come back after Brazil (05/09) and miss the Bolivia game they will miss Chelsea only.

Dougie has the exact same situation. Argentina 05/09 and Peru 10/09. Hopefully he isn't allowed to go considering he was at the Olympics or isn't selected.

As is Leon Bailey. In Jamaica (05/09) playing Panama and playing then Vs Costa Rica (9/09). Costa Rica is also on the Red list.

Chelsea game becomes a bit of a write off. As if all selected we'll be missing: Martinez, Buendia, Dougie and Bailey.

Jesus Christ. This can't be allowed to happen.

37 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Mad that at one point we had Heaton, Steer, Nyland, Kalinic, Sarkic and then Reina on loan

That's nothing. Arsenal have Leno, Ramsdale, Runarsson, Okonkwo, Hein, and the ghost of Emi Martinez in goals.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

FIFA says PL clubs can’t withhold South American players from going off for international duty. Villa have no choice in the matter.

Liverpool and City aren’t allowing it. Unless some sort of agreement is made then neither should we. 

Let these players go off on internationals and we might as well just hand over 6 points now. We’ve still got a couple more international breaks to go through as well in coming months it’s ridiculous 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villan-scott said:

Would we join the band of Merry men?

I think we should. Clubs pay the players wages. They can’t afford to lose them for so many games. That’s without mentioning the safety aspect. Any country that is on the red / Amber travel list should mean players can’t travel. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

30 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Would we join the band of Merry men?

tbh, if they need to isolate, meaning they miss club games, i would 100% ban players from going on international duty.

There needs to be some sort of compromise that allows them to not isolate (such as testing etc).

If these restrictions continue, which seems likely, players will be missing so many games on international duties, they may as well not play for their club!

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

Tough one when one of our key selling points has been that we have a good track record of getting players into their International squads.

We have no CL or Title challenge to offer. It's a pretty big selling point of joining us. To then ban them all for World Cup qualifiers (especially after just celebrating them all so publicly last week too). I'm not sure we will.

Bailey aside (probably Martinez too but he did only win his spot this summer) our players aren't guaranteed first choices for their International Squads in the way that City & Liverpools mostly are. Our players will want to fight for their spot, which may be handed a little easier to the likes of Fabinho, Jesus, Ederson and Alisson.

Think it's a tougher call to make than we at first think

Edited by HalfTimePost

1 minute ago, HalfTimePost said:

Tough one when one of our key selling points has been that we have a good track record of getting players into their International squads.

We have no CL or Title challenge to offer. It's a pretty big selling point of joining us. To then ban them all for World Cup qualifiers (especially after just celebrating them all so publicly last week too). I'm not sure we will.

Bailey aside (probably Martinez too but he did only win his spot this summer) our players aren't guaranteed first choices for their International Squads in the way that City & Liverpools mostly are. Our players will want to fight for their spot, which may be handed a little easier to the likes of Fabinho, Jesus, Ederson and Alisson.

That’s all fair and I think they would all choose to go. I hope there aren’t too many other breaks like this, with the isolation periods as well, we could lose them for 5-10 games per season. 

23 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Sorry but this isn't a normal circumstance. If City and Liverpool aren't releasing their players then no way should we. They will understand. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

Sorry but this isn't a normal circumstance. If City and Liverpool aren't releasing their players then no way should we. They will understand. 

I'm not so sure they would understand. Especially if part of our sales pitch was that we'd get them into their national squads.

They might reluctantly accept it, or they might go on strike as its against FIFA regs and they might then be well within their rights to exit their contracts with us. 

Going to be interesting to watch the fallout from this one, not sure it's as straight forward as you're making out.

• Like 1

Â