Emiliano Buendía

Delphinho123

1 minute ago, Villaphan04 said:

The interesting thing with Arsenal imo is what you said here. They already have 5 players who play in forward positions (Willian possibly leaving) and Odegaard on loan who they also seem keen on. I don't see why they or Buendia would go there without assurances of first team football, and even then they only have domestic games to worry about, so that's already less rotation for the players.  

And they have Willock returning. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I would think Norwich would want to get this wrapped up asap so they have time to find and bring in reinforcements.

We have a chance, I don’t see why we should be intimated by Arsenal and believe they are automatically the front runners…

I was going to say he obviously has some loyalty to Norwich and you would hope he wants to get a deal done early to help them get on with what they need to do.  Arsenal fannying about may not go down well. 

Hopefully Martinez is in his ear. 

Our owners are massively ambitious and I'm sure will have a compelling vision to sell of what he can achieve with us...... The same vision which convinced Jack to stay. 

I don't care what anyone says, Arsenal are a team on the decline.  Who says they can even afford him? The will have eye-watering wages, they are probably still paying for The Emirates, their lack of fans and London commercial income would have hit them much much harder than our lack on non TV revenue, they will almost certainly have budgeted for Euro football they aren't going to get.   I bet their finances are pretty dire, we may well be able to out bid them and offer better wages. 

Edited by sidcow

48 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Let's not tempt fate.

Agree.  Whilst it's bizarre to think we will be in a relegation battle for anyone that understood our season, for those that haven't followed it closely (and I assume Norwich fans haven't) you can see why the might think this was a one season blip for us. 

They're also probably, thanks to the sh!tfest internet media, assuming that Jack will leave us, and our form without him was indeed relegation battle territory.

They don't know Jack isn't going anywhere,  and probably aren't familiar with the fact our owners are up there with the wealthiest and most progressive owners going, with a fantastic track record over a very short period of time.

As such, to us it seems a joke,  to then it seems deadly serious.

But all that said, wecould suffer a recurrence of Jack's injury and being without him for an even longer period could well see us struggling, especially if combined combined other injuries.  It is not impossible, just unlikely. 

Edit: if we sign Buendia then it becomes extremely unlikely as we'll have an alternative creative maestro. So signing him negates their argument even more. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

Buendia would be an absolutely top top signing if we could pull it off.

So much so I almost can't believe we will, or that we are realistically even in for him.

Fingers crossed though, but trying not to get my hopes up tbh.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

Who says they can even afford him? The will have eye-watering wages, they are probably still paying for The Emirates, their lack of fans and London commercial income would have hit them much much harder than our lack on non TV revenue, they will almost certainly have budgeted for Euro football they aren't going to get.   I bet their finances are pretty dire, we may well be able to out bid them and offer better wages. 

Based on their incoming revenue and FFP limits:

Arsenal potentially have £370 million per year to spend on transfers and wages. Even with a massive Covid hit of say £70m to revenue, they can still spend £300 million.

Aston Villa have £130 million per year to spend on transfers and wages.  Let’s say a much smaller hit of £20m for Covid, we still only have £110m to spend.

Arsenal at their worst can spend almost 3 times as much as Villa every season if they so desired.

Edited by ender4
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Arsenal have £370 million per year to spend on transfers and wages. Even with a massive Covid hit of say £70m, they can still spend £300 million.

Aston Villa have £130 million per year to spend on transfers and wages.  Let’s say a much smaller hit of £20m for Covid, we still only have £110m to spend.

Arsenal at their worst can spend 3 times as much as Villa every season.

110 mil on transfers and wages? We have spent 240 mil on transfers in the last 2 seasons. Even a Conservative estimate of our wage bill puts it at 30 mil a year. Most likely 40-50 (Sportrac have it at 50 mil). So at the very minimum 150-170 per year over the last 2 seasons and I'm anticipating more spending this year with security knowing we won't be relegated which will let us inflate our wage bill. 

And if you look at arsenal their current wage bill before signing anyone is 115 mil. And whilst people claim they have 300 mil to spend each year. In case you hadn't noticed they don't. Who did the sign last season Party and Gabriel so like a total outlay of 80 mil combined. So 200 mil. Them spending all that money on Pepe was an anomaly and they probably won't do it again. 

Essentially our budgets are very similar the only thing they have going for them is that they are arsenal and are a London club. But then we have a player who is signed with his agent who can say arsenal won't give you game time and won't respect your accomplishments if they can use a big money signing in martinez. 

36 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I was going to say he obviously has some loyalty to Norwich and you would hope he wants to get a deal done early to help them get on with what they need to do.  Arsenal fannying about may not go down well. 

Hopefully Martinez is in his ear. 

Our owners are massively ambitious and I'm sure will have a compelling vision to sell of what he can achieve with us...... The same vision which convinced Jack to stay. 

I don't care what anyone says, Arsenal are a team on the decline.  Who says they can even afford him? The will have eye-watering wages, they are probably still paying for The Emirates, their lack of fans and London commercial income would have hit them much much harder than our lack on non TV revenue, they will almost certainly have budgeted for Euro football they aren't going to get.   I bet their finances are pretty dire, we may well be able to out bid them and offer better wages. 

I agree, we are in a much healthier position and on the way up, we’re on a journey of constant progression. We have no debt, credible and highly wealthy owners who are continually working to improve all areas of the club, we’re not wasting funds on exorbitant wages for ageing, declining players, we have one of the very best players in the league and some other standout players such as Emi (among the best GKs), Konsa & Watkins. Anyone with a sensible and neutral mindset could analyse us and would only see positives… same cannot be said for Arsenal. They can’t sustain the debt and the complete waste of funds esp. on wages… what a disastrous move signing Willian was for example and I don’t think it was particularly wise to give Aubameyang an expensive new contract. I mean these are the fools that gave Ozil a £350,000 pw contract and didn’t even play him! 

Literally, the only appeal I can see from their side is “the London factor” which, for some reason, is always an attraction for players.

We have the progression and financial muscle to compete now, we will not be intimidated, it’s down to the player…

They have been constantly relying on past glories and holding on to that to retain some form of reputation but they have been in decline for absolutely ages… I can’t see how they are an attractive club… I wouldn’t be surprised if the likes of Partey are regretting moving there…

I’m sure Emi will have words with him and could well have some influence.

If he actually wants to achieve things, we are the wiser choice…

We shall wait and see…

8 hours ago, ender4 said:

Arsenal have £370 million per year to spend on transfers and wages. Even with a massive Covid hit of say £70m, they can still spend £300 million.

Yes, but what's their current wage bill? 

10 hours ago, Awol said:

Agreed. It would be really interesting to speak to some current Prem footballers, agents etc and get an unbiased take on how Villa is currently viewed by people in the game. Our manager, squad, owners etc.

It’s clear from reading fans of other clubs that they haven’t really caught on to the extent of our owners wealth and ambition, Just wonder if that extends to potential employees, too? 

I'd wager we're not thought of as highly as some of our fans would think - though I imagine this season did our image a lot of good in the footballing world. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

I'd wager we're not thought of as highly as some of our fans would think - though I imagine this season did our image a lot of good in the footballing world. 

To many in their 20s we will be seen as on a par with others that have come up or other perennial bottom half clubs. The sort of people who have never heard of James Cagney. In the world of football we are no where near Arsenal....... YET!

Agree with the comments about us not being as attractive as the Sky 6 etc. However the day we start to beat these clubs to players' signatures that's when other players will take notice. 

If we continue to consolidate and then improve I think we will genuinely compete with the sky 6 in about 4/5 seasons in the transfer market. 

9 hours ago, ender4 said:

over the last 5 seasons arsenal's net spend has been just over 440m (source: transferleague.co.uk), so average about 50m per season. their wage bill is 130m a year (source: spotrac.com). so not sure what these figures of 370m per season that are being quoted because that would give arsenal a transfer budget of 240m and they dont spend anywhere near that.

our wage bill is around 50m giving a transfer budget of 80m (which we have exceeded in both years we've been back up) based on your figure of 130m (again not sure where that's been quoted) so i'm curious to know why you believe they have 160m to spend more than us? europa league wouldn't have generated a huge amount of income for them this season. do they really get that much in sponsorship?

they're under the same FFP regulations we are. and we have richer owners.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ender4 said:

Arsenal might be able to spend that much under FFP, but they don’t.

Our budget, on the other hand, is the maximum that we are allowed to spend whilst complying with FFP.

I’d be fairly confident in competing with Arsenal over any transfer at this moment and also convincing a player to join us over them. And if anyone isn’t able to see a club’s current trajectory vs Super 6 status then they probably don’t have the attitude we desire anyway.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

over the last 5 seasons arsenal's net spend has been just over 440m (source: transferleague.co.uk), so average about 50m per season. their wage bill is 130m a year (source: spotrac.com). so not sure what these figures of 370m per season that are being quoted because that would give arsenal a transfer budget of 240m and they dont spend anywhere near that.

our wage bill is around 50m giving a transfer budget of 80m (which we have exceeded in both years we've been back up) based on your figure of 130m (again not sure where that's been quoted) so i'm curious to know why you believe they have 160m to spend more than us? europa league wouldn't have generated a huge amount of income for them this season. do they really get that much in sponsorship?

they're under the same FFP regulations we are. and we have richer owners.

Thanks for the info. 

Yes, i was stating what they could spend under FFP with the financial power they have. 

Of course, if the owner chooses not to spend the money they have, then that's great news for us 🙂 

59 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

over the last 5 seasons arsenal's net spend has been just over 440m (source: transferleague.co.uk), so average about 50m per season. 

Is their average not close to 90m per season? 

It would still suggest they're not breaking the bank this window, especially given their average includes 5 seasons with European football, and over 3 without covid restrictions.

So you would expect their spend this window will be a lot less than the average.

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Thanks for the info. 

Yes, i was stating what they could spend under FFP with the financial power they have. 

Of course, if the owner chooses not to spend the money they have, then that's great news for us 🙂 

i think if it was a straight financial battle, i'm confident we would win

as others have said there are other factors so will depend on the player himself. he and our emi might have the same agent and might play for the same country, but buendia might think martinez is a bellend for all we know and not care less what he thinks about villa! or they could be besties and would love to play at the same team....fingers crossed for the latter!

Â