• Grealish
    • El Ghazi
    • Watkins
    • Chukwuemeka (Traoré 73)
    • Ramsey (El Ghazi 79)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 25/05/21 at 22:59

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

Good performance against a team that's better than us and had something to play for.

Martinez - man mountain.

Konsa - hard afternoon, lost his man for their goal, but not bad.

Hause - he's turned into a really solid Prem defender. A lovely interception in the first half which he then turned into a lovely long pass for Watkins to break stunned good day up.

Mings - absolute rock.

Targett - hard day at the office given the way Chelsea played but another solid performance and underlined why he's the players player of the season.

Nakamba - fantastic game. Man was everywhere, running down everything, being a huge nuisance, probably the best game he's had for us.

McGinn - as ever, the engine room. Really would have scored a chance he made himself from nothing by just hassling his opponent.

Grealish - quieter game purely from us being in the backfoot, but still involved in both goals

Traore - the enigma. Defensively lax, the customary moments of being world class immediately followed by looking like he's never seen a football. And then he scores an exquisite goal, and gets a pen.

AEG - some solid running and the man can take a penalty absolutely emphatically.

Watkins - the usual from Ollie, none stop running and hassling.

Chukwuemeka - couldn't really get into the game but glimpses of him being up to this standard.

Ramsay - little to do.

Good end to the season.

Can't remember the last penalty taker with Anwar's assurance. 

• Like 2

Interesting step up for Nakamba. I was/am advocating spending a good chunk of our budget an a new DM.

Marv is still progressing though, which perhaps makes that purchase slightly less vital. 

Good on him, really hope he becomes the player next season we all hoped he would be!!!

UTV!!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

Interesting step up for Nakamba. I was/am advocating spending a good chunk of our budget an a new DM.

Marv is still progressing though, which perhaps makes that purchase slightly less vital. 

Good on him, really hope he becomes the player next season we all hoped he would be!!!

UTV!!!

I don't think it does. Marvel can continue to develop, but we need to upgrade.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Fantastic day. It's so good to be back, there's something about it that feels like the end of something and the start of real life again, when the players first came out there was a big roar of applause and noise and there was something genuinely moving about it - a reconnection of so many things, fans and players, people and life. There was an almost celebratory feel about the game, the players seemed to enjoy it and the crowd responded. My throat was gone after about ten minutes, my smile is still here.

Chelsea are horrible; getting onto the ref early and constantly, niggly fouls, nasty fouls, standing over players, Rudiger shoving Watkins in the box, Kovacic fouling then threatening Grealish, Mount launching a dive that would have seen him clear a VW beetle and their skipper leading from the front, snarling, stopping the game for long arguments with the referee, pushing, threatening and fouling players, then eventually getting himself sent off. For ninety minutes they were aggressive, unpleasant and right on the edge of what the rules allow. 

I still hope they beat United.

There were some lovely moments:

El Ghazi left waiting for four minutes to take his penalty while seemingly every Chelsea player gave their opinion on it, planted it with utter confidence and then got a load of love with the best singing of "ain't nobody" that I've heard - when he was substituted later he looked genuinely delighted with the ovation he got as he walked around the pitch - a bit of love goes a long way - and he deserved it.

Emi giving out waves on request, and not half hearted hand raises, but proper waves where it looked like he was trying really hard to make sure he'd included everyone in the ground - he's an absolutely diamond that one.

Tyrone Mings being the best big brother in the world when Azpilacueta decided that Jack needed a slap was fantastic - he was on his way over there to sort it out and woe betide anyone that felt like getting into it with him, We could all do with a Tyrone Mings from time to time.

Singing Tammy Abaraham's song when Havertz came on was great, and it's amazing that Tammy has taken the time to say he appreciated it - I'm not sure Chelsea did and I do not care.

The gaffer had his name sung loud and often and responded with a couple of sub-Maritnez waves, he looked like he loved it. Today was a good Smith day.

On the field, the game was strange, Chelsea created a lot of chances, but I never felt that we were panicked - we're unusual in this league, we can defend and not just defend, we can defend by defending - not by keeping the ball or just being organised, we can defend with blocks, tackles and headers, by defenders putting their heads in, putting their bodies on the line and beyond all that by having a goalkeeper that keeps out just about anything you fire at him. I thought we planned to defend and then hit them on the break and that's what we did.

In the first half particularly, I thought a lot of our best moments came from McGinn and Nakamba terrorising Kovacic and Jorginho - they were at em like seagulls on chip paper - closing them, hitting them and coming away with the ball on a number of occasions - and I can tell you friends, they do not like it up em.

Traore is even more Traore in person - he gets the ball out wide in a little bit of space and what follows could be absolutely anything, beat three men, sublime touch, fall over the ball, shuffle it about and play a forty yard backpass, outrageous no look rainbow flick, who knows? Anything. Absolutely anything. I don't think he knows and I haven't got a clue. Once you get used to forgiving the bad touches, it is so much fun to watch him play.

It was good to hear Traore, Emi and Watkins get their names sung - I'm sure when we're full we'll get a bit more imaginative, but they knew they were appreciated.

With twenty minutes left, Chelsea were playing the strangest formation, a sort of 4-1-5 with James their only real holding midfielder - when they were on the ball, Pulisic, Ziyech and Mount behind Werner and Havertz was scary, but we didn't flap always carried a threat.

When they scored, the lack of away fans, and therefore the lack of reaction to the goal, gave us the surreal sight of the Holte End still applauding what they thought was an Emi save with Chelsea's players halfway back to the half way line to restart. These are strange times.

Grealish isn't quite fluent yet, but the little dribble he did to relieve the pressure on us with a few minutes left that lead to Azpilacueta's sending off was something that very few players can do. He makes everyone else in claret and blue happier, more confident and a better player.

I've never seen a game change so suddenly as this one did on ninety minutes - when Chelsea got the news that Spurs were winning, they just stopped - I think Kepa was booked for time wasting in added time - they'd been frantic, charging around everywhere for most of the half and it was like someone had switched them off for the five added minutes - weird.

I thought that while the stats will tell you Chelsea dominated and had lots of shots, we deserved to win - that was our plan - they came at us, we bent but didn't break and every time we went forward we looked a threat. There's fight and guts and character and talent in this side - they need some reinforcements, but what we have is very good, there's ambition, there's a plan and there's the will to progress and grow.I loved being back at Villa Park today. I think the players loved it too.These are good times to be a Villa fan and there is a very big future ahead.

You will hear us singing from the stands of Villa Park. 

Thanks. I’ve been waiting for proper match day detail from those who were there. Sounds like a great day! 

6 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Just to add Tuchel is a horrible man and it seems his Chelsea team is molded to reflect that.

To watch Tuchel he was irksome, harassed the officials at every opportunity and bemoaned every decision with his arms outstretched.

He looked like a spoilt child.

At the end of the game you could hear him shouting at the ref while speaking to him should be banned for it

6 minutes ago, gaffer85 said:

At the end of the game you could hear him shouting at the ref while speaking to him should be banned for it

Yeah I saw that he looked like he was taking it too far as the referee seemed a bit shocked.

Many have been saying what a great guy he is, from what I can see he's a word removed!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

When they scored, the lack of away fans, and therefore the lack of reaction to the goal, gave us the surreal sight of the Holte End still applauding what they thought was an Emi save with Chelsea's players halfway back to the half way line to restart. These are strange times.

Only tangentially related but do you remember this one win against Stoke at VP 10-11 years ago where they had a first half goal somewhat spuriously disallowed for a push on Stephen Warnock, and their fans went so mental celebrating it that they still hadn't noticed it was disallowed until like a minute after play had been restarted? Never seen anything like it to that level.

It was like our fans went from winding them up over it to like, desperately trying to get their attention to let them know because it was getting kind of weird

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

I thought Grealish could have been substituted in the last twenty, he was out on his feet and was struggling to track back.

I think he will have asked to stay on for 90 so Southgate sees he can last a match.

I don’t often watch MOTD, but I will be doing tonight. Just hope we get some credit and it’s not just all about Chelsea qualifying for CL despite not really deserving it. It probably will be, but I’ll still enjoy our goals going in. 

A great result to finish a season of great progress.

There is a very solid core to this squad which only needs some top drawer reinforcements to push us into top six. 

Will be a very interesting summer.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I've never seen a game change so suddenly as this one did on ninety minutes - when Chelsea got the news that Spurs were winning, they just stopped - I think Kepa was booked for time wasting in added time - they'd been frantic, charging around everywhere for most of the half and it was like someone had switched them off for the five added minutes - weird.

On the TV feed they showed the Chelsea boss telling them to stop once he had heard the Spurs score.  Lot's of "its over , don't worry " type of hand gestures.

Good write up as per.

• Like 1

Â