Players departing Aston Villa 2021

AvfcRigo82

12 hours ago, tomav84 said:

i can personally see hourihane and elmo still being AVFC players next season. guilbert is not rated at all by the coaching staff and will likely be sold/loaned out and i can see elmo being given another year and i can't see decent money coming in for conor

engels will only leave if we get a bid in and he wants out.

I can very easily believe that Guilbert isn't rated by our coaching staff.  The chap is undoubtedly a trier and seems to have.a sound attitude, but he's very much a lower level full back.  Maybe even quite outdated in terms of a Premier League with an increasing premium on quick interplay and technical proficiency.  Something of a Luke Young, as much as I enjoyed Luke Young for what Luke Young was.  I just don't think he fits in where we want to be.  Guilbert would not only languish as an obvious liability in a formation surrounded by players of much greater ability, he also simply doesn't have the chops to fly when we need to fly.  Which will hamper our collective dynamism and fluidity.  As much as its nice to cheer for a crowd-pleasing 'all-action' marauder, I have a strong feeling our set-up won't tolerate a player not really sharp or precise enough to elevate our performances.

Picture the kind of fluid, electric football we have seen at our best this season.  Can you picture Guilbert functioning in any of that action?

Even as a back-up I can't see him deemed to be of much use, unfortunately.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I hope not.

I think he is good enough for us, it's just unfortunately he has not been given enough game time.

I feel if he was given a decent run in the team we would discover what a real workhorse he is in breaking up play in that defensive midfield zone.

How does he get more games next season though? I just don't see it unless we do something like 4-3-1-2 and just scrap getting any wingers in.

Far too easy to write off Doug who's been indifferent last few months but largely pretty good in last 12 months and simply a player who has so much more potential to scale up than Nakamba, McGinn will continue to play every minute near enough while DS is still here and he's been excellent in last month which will hopefully continue into next season and far too easy to just write off Sanson unless the manager has.

Perhaps Ramsey will get loaned out but then Carney will just replace him in the squad and get his minutes next season.

Really can't see how he starts 20 prem games next season unless we get massive injuries in that area so we have decision, two years left and value not too bad given he's done o.k in most of his starts or just have another year of him bench warming and then we can't sell him for much next summer as teams will just wait for him to go on a free with a year left so will just lowball with bids.

That's the conundrum now. We need to be a bit more ruthless than just keeping every single squad player because they've had the odd good game in the season. I'd make the exception for Hause but we can't be doing it for every other squad player.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I hope not.

I think he is good enough for us, it's just unfortunately he has not been given enough game time.

I feel if he was given a decent run in the team we would discover what a real workhorse he is in breaking up play in that defensive midfield zone.

Agreed and he's worth keeping for that smile.

Happy Premier League GIF by Aston Villa FCsmile marvelous smile...

6 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Agreed and he's worth keeping for that smile.

Happy Premier League GIF by Aston Villa FCsmile marvelous smile...

I'm sure Smith mentioned the other week that Marv would be one for next season? Can't remember where but I'm sure he did. Somehow I don't see us letting him go yet. The Spurs game showed there is value in keeping him around at the moment. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I can actually see Nakamba being moved on, to accommodate a higher caliber CDM/CM, a better version of himself.

Probably not good enough to start all games, but good enough to start somewhere else IMO.

Ideally you'd like to keep him around but it will be increasingly difficult to keep everyone happy, and I feel he deserves more playing time.

Other than the error that lead to their goal, he had a pretty solid game vs Spurs. Every appearance this season has been effective, I think he is very unlucky not to have played more. I really like him, i’d play him ahead of Luiz at the moment, I feel McGinn plays better, it’s a better balanced team. He is one of a handful of players I hope they can coach into fulfilling a more effective role (traore also) to realise their potential. It would be such a waste if he left, I bet he would kick on on and we would regret it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Not making a case for them to stay, it is their time, but will be slightly sad to see Hourihane, Elmo and even Taylor leave.

It's just the opposite for me. I'm delighted to see those players go because they are all championship standard players, we aren't a championship club and never should have been one. They did their best but it was soul destroying watching them wear the same claret and blue that world class players like Sid, McGrath and Platt wore. European nights against the likes of Inter Milan or Athletico Madrid is where we belong not slumming around with small heath watching Elmo balloon crosses into the stands from the halfway line. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, handsworthvilla said:

Yes it was absolutely soul destroying watch all 3 of them play in our record breaking 10 game winning streak and play off final success. Awful memories

Indeed, imagine if Champions and Premier League winner John Terry felt it was " Soul destroying "  joining a Championship club.

I don't get this mentality.

• Like 1

On 21/05/2021 at 06:10, useless said:

As well as being a player Neil Taylor is apparently also working as a mentor to some of our youth players, that's why you sometimes see him at some of the youth games.

Especially to Raikhy - they share South Asian heritage 

Neil Taylor is a PFA Asian Inclusion mentor.

PFA mentor, Taylor said: “It’s what’s needed from the bottom going up.

“The mentoring is the bare minimum we can do for the upcoming players as we’ve had a career in the game. Less than 1% make it right to the top and it’s important we instil the right mentality to the players from a young age.

“I’ve been talking to the scholars, academy players and their parents on this programme about the player pathways and some of the potential pitfalls they may face along the way. If we are to make a mark, and send the right messages to those who want to take up football as a career, this is a step in the right direction and it hasn’t been done before.”

THEPFA

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Shomin Geki said:

I can very easily believe that Guilbert isn't rated by our coaching staff.  The chap is undoubtedly a trier and seems to have.a sound attitude, but he's very much a lower level full back.  Maybe even quite outdated in terms of a Premier League with an increasing premium on quick interplay and technical proficiency.  Something of a Luke Young, as much as I enjoyed Luke Young for what Luke Young was.  I just don't think he fits in where we want to be.  Guilbert would not only languish as an obvious liability in a formation surrounded by players of much greater ability, he also simply doesn't have the chops to fly when we need to fly.  Which will hamper our collective dynamism and fluidity.  As much as its nice to cheer for a crowd-pleasing 'all-action' marauder, I have a strong feeling our set-up won't tolerate a player not really sharp or precise enough to elevate our performances.

Picture the kind of fluid, electric football we have seen at our best this season.  Can you picture Guilbert functioning in any of that action?

Even as a back-up I can't see him deemed to be of much use, unfortunately.

Wow, I disagree entirely old man, your slew of opinions are skewed towards utter twaddle and a simplistic over statement of obscure nonsense.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Wow, I disagree entirely old man, your slew of opinions are skewed towards utter twaddle and a simplistic over statement of obscure nonsense.

Agreed, I really like watching Guilbert on the ball and very much hope he’s here as competition/backup next season. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

Already got this chiselled on my gravestone, partner. 🙂

• Like 1

Engels recently said he is happy here and will knuckle down to get back in the team.

Seems to have a very godi attitude. 

I would keep him too

Wr need cover at left back and id keep guilbert 

I don't think Engels or Freddie are going anywhere. And we'd be nuts to sell Nakamba, Hause or El Ghazi. Our squad has been thin this season. We want a deeper squad, but also want quality. That means we might only be looking at signing 2 or 3 players, so I've no idea why people are talking about selling players that have made fantastic contributions like AEG, Marv or Hause.

Â