FA Youth Cup Final vs Liverpool (24th May 19:45)

lexicon

Just seen that we had the three top scorers in the competition Chukwuemeka with 7, Young 6, and Barry 5.

Aaron Ramsey scored three, if he'd have been fit for the quarter and semi final and to start the final good chance he would have had a few more.

Aren't there a few sets of relatives in the U18 and 23 squads? The Ramsey ones are the ones I know. I'm sure there are a few more?

Great victory by the kids! Felt really proud seeing them lift the cup. Especially with an all brummie front line! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I went to an u21 game when Luke Moore was called up. 

Carlton Cole looked like Lukaku combined with Ronaldo and Aaron Lennon looked like he was going to be the next Diego Maradonna.

I remember seeing an England under 21s game on TV against Italy and Massimo Maccarone looked like some kind of footballing god.  I was SO jealous when Middlesbrough signed him, I was convinced he was going to be a huge star.  Well the rest as they say is history. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I remember seeing an England under 21s game on TV against Italy and Massimo Maccarone looked like some kind of footballing god.  I was SO jealous when Middlesbrough signed him, I was convinced he was going to be a huge star.  Well the rest as they say is history. 

Yeah I remember that and feeling the same. 

Mad, how great some players can look at that level. 

• Like 1

The thing about having a top quality academy is not just about having players come through to the first team. 

If you can develop enough talent it can also generate a lot of revenue.  Just think how much money Chelsea have made down the years on selling academy products. 

Even if you have a player on loan at somewhere like Nottingham Forest and they like what they see, you might get £2m, £5m or even higher. I mean how much would we have paid for Tammy if Chelsea hadn't fancied getting him back? 

Not sure how much Wet Spam eventually paid for Carlton Cole. For example but just one of those a season will probably fund the academy before you even think about how many first team players you end up with. 

Investing in the academy just makes sense on every level. 

• Like 1

Enjoyed game, loved the way they always tried to play.  Raikhi was pick for me, closely followed by Young and Revan.  Barry showed grealish esque control and seems to glide across pitch, Youngs running was very Ollie like - Chuck although not his best game just has that awe about him.  No one let themselves down, like many have said not all will make it, but by the way we have started to conduct our business we are increasing the odds.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Xela said:

Aren't there a few sets of relatives in the U18 and 23 squads? The Ramsey ones are the ones I know. I'm sure there are a few more?

There's also Dominic & Seb Revan (Seb the left-back in the final, Dominic is older, was out on loan at Weymouth since Jan), and the O'Reilly's (who were on the bench) are also related I believe. I'm sure there are others too.

• Like 1

The O'Reilly's aren't related as far as I know, Aaron O'Reilly is from Ireland and moved here from there last summer, whereas Tommi O'Reilly is English and has been with the club from an early age... Myles Sohna and Harrison Sohna are twins, although seems as though Harrison is going to be released.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, useless said:

The O'Reilly's aren't related as far as I know, Aaron O'Reilly is from Ireland and moved here from there last summer, whereas Tommi O'Reilly is English and has been with the club from an early age... Myles Sohna and Harrison Sohna are twins, although seems as though Harrison is going to be released.

Ah, thanks! I stand corrected. Had completely forgotten about the Sohna's as well.

• Thanks 1

It dawned on me yesterday how all our different teams had good ends to the season, the men won their last two beating two beating Tottenham and Chelsea to finish with our highest premier league points total since the O'Neill days, the women's team were unbeaten in their last five and got an improbable draw away to Arsenal to secure safety meaning they didn't have to rely on other results, U18s won their last game of the leage season, as did the U23s, and then the FA Youth Cup team obviously won that competition to make it a very good season all round.

• Like 1

On 25/05/2021 at 08:18, useless said:

Based on the July 1st cut off point these are the ones from our current U18s/U23s that will qualify to defend the trophy next season...

Josh Lane, Oliwier Zych, Frankie Ealing, Sil Swinkels, Aaron O'Reilly, Seb Revan, Ben Chrisene, Lamare Bogarde, Edward Rowe, Taylor-Jay Hart, Tommi O'Reilly, Chisom Afoka, Kahrel Reddin, Carney Chukwuemeka, Dewain Sewell, Ruben Shakpoke... Barry and McBride will miss out by a matter of days, not sure if Chukwuemeka will take part if he's more involved with the first team squad...

As well as those there will presumably be a few new signings and the players promoted from the U16s.

Having looked at the rules for the season just gone as long as a player was between the ages of 15 and 18 on August 31st then they were allowed to take part, so next season Barry and McBride will be okay presuming the rules aren't changed.

Technically we could also use Aaron Ramsey, Kesler, Raikhy, Young next season as they will still all be 18 on August 31st... but given that we didn't use Philogene-Bidace this season despite him still being 18 on August 31st, it seems we probably have a stance of not using players if they turn nineteen whilst the competition is in progress, which I think is good, because if you go and win it no one can say you did so using older players.

Edited by useless

2 hours ago, useless said:

Having looked at the rules for the season just gone as long as a player was between the ages of 15 and 18 on August 31st then they were allowed to take part, so next season Barry and McBride will be okay presuming the rules aren't changed.

Technically we could also use Aaron Ramsey, Kesler, Raikhy, Young next season as they will still all be 18 on August 31st... but given that we didn't use Philogene-Bidace this season despite him still being 18 on August 31st, it seems we probably have a stance of not using players if they turn nineteen whilst the competition is in progress, which I think is good, because if you go and win it no one can say you did so using older players.

I think the reason behind it is for the reasons our owners gave when they came in...

If you're using 23 Year olds in your u23, something is going very wrong. That needs to be filled with 19 and 20 yr olds, and the 21+yr olds need to be on the first team bench or better.

I imagine a lot will move to be primarily u23,  and a few will go out on loan too.

On 24/05/2021 at 23:06, HanoiVillan said:

Please do . . . I know he got teased a little bit at times, and I hope there are no hard feelings, but I personally miss his genuine enthusiasm, and I hope he joins us again whenever he's ready.

I've spoken to him and he's fine. He has been advised to stop posting on here and has decided to take a break for the foreseeable future. However, he really appreciated the fact so many of you missed his presence and says there are no hard feelings at all.

• Like 3

Â