Old Fashioned Traditions

Sid4ever

On 18/05/2021 at 21:48, sidcow said:

Bonfire night can **** right off. 

clearings in the woods chucking dangerous explosives about. 

Kids maiming themselves. 

Babies woken up. 

Pets petrified. 

The damage to the environment. 

People dying due to bad storage. 

FFS we have 3D TV with surround sound now.  Do we really need to watch coloured lights in the sky going BANG? 

I am liking these new drone displays though. I can see some real innovation in entertainment coming along soon with non of the above issues. 

I agree but it used to be fun when I was a kid and we would make our own bonfire in the back garden. roasted chestnuts and potatoes on the fire. It was a great night and nobody got hurt, but i guess people behave irresponsibly and get hurt so yes should be stopped. 

One I’ve heard of, but weirdly only through Australian and New Zealand shows/films is when walking with a female companion, the man should walk on the side of her that the road is on. The idea being you’d shield her from mud flying up from passing horse & carts or nowadays, cars. 

I guess this would be more of a chivalrous tradition.

And for those interested, the Australian/New Zealand reference points I’ve heard it from are -

Neighbours (the character of Lance said he would endeavour to do it - this was the first I’d ever heard of it)

The film “Chopper”

And this clip from Flight of the Conchords 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

One I’ve heard of, but weirdly only through Australian and New Zealand shows/films is when walking with a female companion, the man should walk on the side of her that the road is on. The idea being you’d shield her from mud flying up from passing horse & carts or nowadays, cars. 

I guess this would be more of a chivalrous tradition. 

British. I was taught that as a small boy by my mum. I still do it today, totally without having to think about it. 

Similarly, going upstairs or getting on a bus - ladies first. But going downstairs or getting off a bus - gentlemen first (to catch them if they stumble). 

• Like 4

Just now, mjmooney said:

British. I was taught that as a small boy by my mum. I still do it today, totally without having to think about it. 

Similarly, going upstairs or getting on a bus - ladies first. But going downstairs or getting off a bus - gentlemen first (to catch them if they stumble). 

Yeah I can completely believe it having it’s roots over here, but for whatever reason I’ve only ever seen it referenced “down under”. 

Not heard the bus one before.

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yeah I can completely believe it having it’s roots over here, but for whatever reason I’ve only ever seen it referenced “down under”. 

Not heard the bus one before.

It's worth repeating that I was born in 1954 and my Mum was born in 1914 - I'm something of an expert on old fashioned traditions!  :)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

British. I was taught that as a small boy by my mum. I still do it today, totally without having to think about it

Same.  I am not sure if I do it now though, I will have to study myself more. 

Note so self - must educate son in this although being 18 he won't.give a shit and think I'm mental. 

Edited by sidcow

15 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

So by random chance, Colleen has issued an album today!

image.jpeg.7ec9810f783fe4a1ffc919de3c6a0d60.jpeg

I’m going to wait until she teams up with Maureen for the supergroup.

VillaTalk swear filter works on images too?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Manual cars

38 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Prefer 'em to automatics, mesself. 

I’ve never driven an automatic. To me, driving is basically knowing how to change gears. Once you’ve learned that, you’re pretty much there (ok, maybe around 50% there).

The idea of driving without having to do that seems more alien to me than it should.

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

I’ve never driven an automatic. To me, driving is basically knowing how to change gears. Once you’ve learned that, you’re pretty much there (ok, maybe around 50% there).

The idea of driving without having to do that seems more alien to me than it should.

I've never owned an automatic, but since having driven them as hire cars for weeks at a time, if I buy another car, I'd get an auto. For most of today's traffic conditions and journeys, a manual is (to me) less user friendly and a bit anachronistic.

• Like 2

I have an automatic. I felt that after spending 1 and a half to 2 hours sat on a motorway in bad traffic in a manual my left knee was hurting after I got out of the car. I had a ridiculously heavy clutch. 

• Like 2

Just now, Seat68 said:

I have an automatic. I felt that after spending 1 and a half to 2 hours sat on a motorway in bad traffic in a manual my left knee was hurting after I got out of the car. I had a ridiculously heavy clutch. 

Yep, it was commuter traffic that converted me. That and Mercedes couldn’t shift a 3 year old auto C Class Estate they had.

I’d gone in to test drive an A Class, there was a mix up and the A Class was parked up and ready for me… on a different site. So whilst they went and got it, they gave me an Auto just to waste some time in ‘for a laugh’.

Bastards knew exactly what they were doing. There had been a model change, so the C Class Estate was the same price as an A Class. First bit of traffic congestion I got to, I realised I was buying an auto.

• Like 2

After renting mostly with manuals, when my partner passed her test only a couple of years ago, we got a couple of automatics occasionally and the ease with which she found driving - being of a nervous disposition - made it a no brainer when we got a car last year. There are times I miss going up through the gears manually, but pootling around town, with loads of roundabouts not having to bother with all that fiddly stuff, yeah won't go back. 

…and the very best of luck with all your future electric manual cars!

Messageboard full of Luddites.

I can pull out on a junction, whilst turning the stereo up whilst also eating a pastie. Try doing that in a manual.

• Haha 1

Â