Old Fashioned Traditions

Sid4ever

8 minutes ago, useless said:

I remember when everything used to close at midday on Wednesday.

I remember when Tesco (now Sainsburys) in Moseley village was a big supermarket. 

Now its a "local" convenience store. 

10 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

To my horror he informed us that non-Muslims are not allowed to touch the Quran itself and if they do the book has to be disposed of. 

How does one convert to Islam if one can't read the small print in the contract prior to signing up?

7 hours ago, bickster said:

How does one convert to Islam if one can't read the small print in the contract prior to signing up?

The rule only applies to text in the original language.   (Arabic?)

English language translations may be handled by all.   A Muslim friend gave me a copy once.  With a wry smile he told me to put it in my hand luggage when going on holiday.  

• Haha 1

Don't really hear about chair sniffers anymore, do you? 

A long standing tradition of the office workplace in the 80s and 90s, but a dying art now.

I suppose health and safety would have something to say about it in the modern era, but surely if you can still run down a bloody great hill after a big piece of cheese, then you can sniff a chair or two? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 18/05/2021 at 15:35, sidcow said:

Writing letters.  It's really just showing off now.  Oohhhh, look at my lovely handwriting and my flowery paper. 

Send an e-mail you clearing in the woods. 

Piggybacking on this, how about writing in cursive? Seems totally antiquated now and I wonder if kids are even taught it in school.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hogso said:

Don't really hear about chair sniffers anymore, do you? 

I worked with this Irish woman at a bar, lovely gal. I entered the break room as she was getting up off a chair to leave. She told me "I wouldn't sit there, Mike, I've got the bean gas".

"The bean gas"

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

Just the name alone is antiquated. Maureen, Kathleen, Colleen. All old timey now. 

Oireland says bejeezus. Even there these names are no longer fashionable. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

My middle granddaughter is called Bridie. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I worked with this Irish woman at a bar, lovely gal. I entered the break room as she was getting up off a chair to leave. She told me "I wouldn't sniff there, Mike, I've got the bean gas".

"The bean gas"

Ah I see, so your chair sniffing exploits were infamous at this establishment, I take it? Good of her to warn you...although amongst connoisseurs of this ancient past time, I believe that a deeply encrusted stench is part of the attraction. 

So the bean gas was probably a good thing. 

For some people anyway. Probably. I don't know. It's just something someone told me about. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Not convinced. Coleen at least is still fairly popular (Rooney's missus) and I always assume all Irish Kaths are really Kathleens

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Not convinced. Coleen at least is still fairly popular (Rooney's missus) and I always assume all Irish Kaths are really Kathleens

Less than six Colleen/Coleens registered in 2020. Less than 15 Kathlene/Kathleens and less than 3 Maureens. I hate that you made me do that. 
https://www.cso.ie/en/interactivezone/visualisationtools/babynamesofireland/

Baby Names of Ireland

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Less than six Colleen/Coleens registered in 2020. Less than 15 Kathlene/Kathleens and less than 3 Maureens. I hate that you made me do that. 
https://www.cso.ie/en/interactivezone/visualisationtools/babynamesofireland/

Shows what I know, absolutely zero for Coleens in UK in 2019, only 3 Maureens but 32 Kathleens!

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Shows what I know, absolutely zero for Coleens in UK in 2019, only 3 Maureens but 32 Kathleens!

My guess is those sort of names have been relegated to the middle. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

I was on my bike yesterday and was passed by an old Mercedes just belching fumes in my face. They should be rewarded .

fixed  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â