Old Fashioned Traditions

Sid4ever

21 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Sunday opening hours.

I can remember when pretty much everything except churches was closed all day on Sundays. I thought it was a complete drag and a stupid anachronism. Nowadays, I find  myself slightly nostalgic for it. Not for any religious reasons (obviously), but I just kinda miss having a day that's not the same as every other day. Admittedly, it's easier for me as a retiree, as I can go to the shops anytime, but the relentless pressure for constant commerce sometimes gets a bit dispiriting. 

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Flowers are an apology, if you're buying flowers you've **** up 

I know people who buy men flowers for occasions like father's day or birthdays. Just because you are 'supposed' to. 

1 hour ago, GarethRDR said:

Sunday opening hours.

This. Was mannheim 2 yrs ago and walking down the near deserted main shopping areas on a Sunday morning was bliss 

One that we discussed after the passing of my mum last week was the old tradition of leaving all the curtains drawn between the death and the funeral. I remember we did it when I was younger when a neighbour passed. When did this stop being a thing?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

There's 2 here that seem stupid to me, you can't put your washing out on the balcony or put glass in a bottle bank on a Sunday 

My wife still can't show me which page of thr bible that shit comes from 

Count yourself lucky. Where I’m from, the council paid someone to lock up the swings in the park on a Saturday and not unlock them until Monday morning. Don’t think they still do that but it was still a thing until fairly recently. 
You were only allowed to do two things on a Sunday - go to church and come back from church. Man, those Sunday’s used to drag. 

8 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Any connection between religion and the state.   

That includes Sunday Opening Hours, having God in the national anthem,  the monarch being "Protector of the Faith",  witnesses swearing on a bible/holy book, etc.       

Two bits of pedantry:

Having a monarch in the first place is a bit ridiculous, regardless of what job description you give them.

You don’t have to swear on the bible or any other religious text in court if you don’t want to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Any connection between religion and the state.   

That includes Sunday Opening Hours, having God in the national anthem,  the monarch being "Protector of the Faith",  witnesses swearing on a bible/holy book, etc.       

Just religion full stop for me.  So many people killed over it, so many wars.  So many people oppressed and having their liberties removed.

Then again they would just have to make up another make believe reason for violence and wars instead of pretending it's about religion.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

You don’t have to swear on the bible or any other religious text in court if you don’t want to.

Correct.  Its only an option.  But why is it even an option?  If I was religious I could solemnly swear to tell the truth without needing to name my god or hold a certain book.  

Funny Story >>

At the start of my career we were taken to a Crown Court and shown the entire Court process from behind the scenes.  I got there a little early and was having a look around.  I noticed the Quran which was wrapped in a cloth cover.  I took it out and had a good look at it.  

Later that day we were being shown the various holy books and the trainer asked why the Quran was in a cloth cover.  To my horror he informed us that non-Muslims are not allowed to touch the Quran itself and if they do the book has to be disposed of.    

I confessed.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I can remember when pretty much everything except churches was closed all day on Sundays. I thought it was a complete drag and a stupid anachronism. Nowadays, I find  myself slightly nostalgic for it. Not for any religious reasons (obviously), but I just kinda miss having a day that's not the same as every other day. Admittedly, it's easier for me as a retiree, as I can go to the shops anytime, but the relentless pressure for constant commerce sometimes gets a bit dispiriting. 

Norwegian shops are, with a few exceptions like garden centers and newsagents, all closed on sundays. I like that. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Correct.  Its only an option.  But why is it even an option?  If I was religious I could solemnly swear to tell the truth without needing to name my god or hold a certain book.  

Funny Story >>

At the start of my career we were taken to a Crown Court and shown the entire Court process from behind the scenes.  I got there a little early and was having a look around.  I noticed the Quran which was wrapped in a cloth cover.  I took it out and had a good look at it.  

Later that day we were being shown the various holy books and the trainer asked why the Quran was in a cloth cover.  To my horror he informed us that non-Muslims are not allowed to touch the Quran itself and if they do the book has to be disposed of.    

I confessed.    

Your story, but me.

Not the Quran, but prayer mats. Not touching them as such, more big dirty site boot footprints diagonally across the entire room. But only showing up on the mats, so it looked to the casual observer like I’d jumped from mat to mat.

I did not confess, I was off site and up the road before the inquest began!

Re: Wanting to go back to old style shops closed on a Sunday. People who do shift work may have a word to say about that one. 

24 hour supermarkets may be a sign of the times now but my favourite time to go to my nearest Tesco Superstore is at 23:00 on the night. Pretty much the whole place to myself save for staff and a few fellow shift work zombies ambling around. No kids screaming and running around. Pensioners asleep at home. Bliss. 

1 minute ago, Ingram85 said:

Re: Wanting to go back to old style shops closed on a Sunday. People who do shift work may have a word to say about that one. 

24 hour supermarkets may be a sign of the times now but my favourite time to go to my nearest Tesco Superstore is at 23:00 on the night. Pretty much the whole place to myself save for staff and a few fellow shift work zombies ambling around. No kids screaming and running around. Pensioners asleep at home. Bliss. 

I bet there is still some Representative for Wellingborough who leaves their trolley diagonally across the aisle though.:suspect:

living somewhere where the shops are shut on a sunday i can tell you that its shit, they're all completely shut on bank holidays too

what it does result in is later opening hours in the week, most places are open to 8pm here, opening at maybe 10am or 11am

the UK needs to do whatever it can to bring back independents and im not sure what the answer is bar banning supermarkets from taking over towns, every thing just seems to play in the hands of the likes of tescos and the big chains

I saw some programme once (can’t for the life in me remember what it was about) and it had Ann Widdecombe on saying how she felt we should go back to everything being closed on Sundays.

Since then I’ve been very much of the opinion that everything, everywhere, should extend their operating hours on a Sunday. I’d be willing to sacrifice “Songs of Praise” to help fund it.

• Like 1

Â