First computer game you played?

KenjiOgiwara

On 28/05/2021 at 10:56, Designer1 said:

You've sent me down a 'Spectrum and C64 Isometric games' rabbit hole now 😃

Some truly innovative titles around that era - Knightlore / Fairlight / Knightshade / Alien 8 / Quazatron to name a few.

To create games with such depth of gameplay and story, using the technology available at the time was mind blowing.

I loved Knight Lore on the Spectrum, but then Ultimate were a brilliant games developer. Their 16K games like JetPac and Tranz Am were really playable, but then Sabre Wulf and Knight Lore seemed like they took gaming on in huge leaps. Knight Lore was immense, and paved the way for other superb 3D isometic games like Ocean's Batman and Head Over Heels.

• Like 1

The first one I played was Pong on my cousin's Pong Machine.

The first one I played which I owned was Defender II on the 2600:

Edited by Beastmix

On 28/05/2021 at 07:48, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Anyone remember Ant Attack on the 48k Spectrum.  I am sure this was way ahead of its time.

All 3D,  I was super impressed by that game.  Very early after the Spectrum was released I think ?

Yep I remember it. I was really shit at it (I was probably too young to appreciate a game like that) but I remember it well

• Like 1

On 29/05/2021 at 10:45, KenjiOgiwara said:

The visuals of the cover and such was more important back in the day wasn't it? You sort of had to use your imagination before playing to get into it. These days the games are so well made, you get all your senses triggered in game so to speak. 

Yep. You rarely got reviews of games or anywhere near the amount of build up and coverage games get these days. So you were often buying games on a whim.

Probably the reason why movie/cartoon based games used to do so well back in the day. You'd buy it just for the name alone

first console game I ever played as a kid was the first Sonic game. Remember being anxious af about running out of air on the water level:

Sonic Mania - Labyrinth Zone

First proper PC game that wasn't Minesweeper or SkiFree (classic!) that I remember really loving and as one of the first ones I played was Little Big Adventure:

ski free awesome old pc game | samissam   Amazon.com: Little Big Adventure - Relentless: Twinsen's Adventure:  Appstore for Android

Edited by osmark86
  • Like 1

On 04/06/2021 at 14:11, osmark86 said:

Remember being anxious af about running out of air on the water level

To this day the most stressed I've ever been playing a computer game.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

To this day the most stressed I've ever been playing a computer game.

I know! that bloody music is worse than the theme to Jaws.

Would have spent hours trying to input code into a zx81 but never once for any of them to work so I suppose the first for me would have been Atik Atak on my mates spectrum. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/05/2021 at 23:27, Ingram85 said:

Alex Kidd built in on Master System II. 

The single most brutal game I’ve ever played.

Yes. My first ever console and this was the first game I played. It was awesome.

Bomber Raid was also another I spent many days on in my youth.

I probably played on some spectrum game, but don’t remember it. However, I had an Amiga 500+, an amazing computer for its time. I’d say Fast Food Dizzy would’ve been one of the first on there I played. Or maybe Xenon 2

First game was a text adventure game on the c16 plus 4. I can't remember the name of it, but you start off in a room with a curtain blowing in the wind and there is a lever you have to pull down.

Â