First computer game you played?

KenjiOgiwara

Pong.  1973 in the lobby of our hotel in Las Vegas.  Mesmerized.   Mom and Dad left my brother and I a bunch of quarters to play while they went off and gambled.

• Like 1

I was something on a ZX Spectrum at my mates house in about '93, probably. It was his dad's, and at the time I recall thinking it was terrible...the waiting for the thing to load perhaps. It wasn't until I had my own gizmos (a GB followed by a SNES) that I actually started playing games and enjoying them.

Probably Fire in the Nintendo Game and Watch. My dad worked abroad and bought us all these clam shaped games things. First on a  computer and that is a long forgotten text adventure on a BBC B. 

The original Super Mario on the NES for Christmas one year. Also came with Duck Hunt the shooting game. 

A few other NES games around thta time but Eye of the Beholder on the PC is one that sticks out. Also, Sid Miers Colonisation, loved that game. 

My first ever console was SEGA Megadrive - So Sonic the Hedgehog was the first game I played that was my own.

I probably played Mario or Asteroids or something at a friends house / arcade before that point but not from memory.

7 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

My first ever console was SEGA Megadrive - So Sonic the Hedgehog was the first game I played that was my own.

I probably played Mario or Asteroids or something at a friends house / arcade before that point but not from memory.

Didn’t SEGA also have NFL and NHL? Seem to remember playing with my uncle

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Anyone remember Ant Attack on the 48k Spectrum.  I am sure this was way ahead of its time.

All 3D,  I was super impressed by that game.  Very early after the Spectrum was released I think ?

I loved that game! And yeah, graphically it was good for the time (not 'pure' 3D though, it was Isometric 3D). 

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Anyone remember Ant Attack on the 48k Spectrum.  I am sure this was way ahead of its time.

All 3D,  I was super impressed by that game.  Very early after the Spectrum was released I think ?

You've sent me down a 'Spectrum and C64 Isometric games' rabbit hole now 😃

Some truly innovative titles around that era - Knightlore / Fairlight / Knightshade / Alien 8 / Quazatron to name a few.

To create games with such depth of gameplay and story, using the technology available at the time was mind blowing.

• Like 1

The visuals of the cover and such was more important back in the day wasn't it? You sort of had to use your imagination before playing to get into it. These days the games are so well made, you get all your senses triggered in game so to speak. 

• Like 2

Not even remotely the first game I played, but Might and Magic MIandate of Heaven was absolute class.

That and Heroes of Might and Magic 3 was something I spent waaaay too much time on.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

We had an Atari first of all (2600?) so either Space Invaders or Asteroids on that. The first home computer game I played was 3D Monster Maze on my mate's dad's ZX81. Not long after that we got a ZX Spectrum 48K and the first game I played on that was The Hobbit, as it came with the computer.  I wonder how kids today would deal with 10 minute loading times, which often failed if you didn't have the tone button just right, and single pages of graphics that took several minutes to fill in line by line.

Â