Spurs pre match

Demitri_C

as long as wolves lose to everton then at least there is zero consequence to what happens in either of our last 2 games

Edited by tomav84

35 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

For Spurs, a good season is finishing in the top six, as high as they can and holding off the chasing pack, but their expectation is an enemy to them - they think they're title challengers.

Looking at the Dean Smith thread, I don't think Spurs are alone. 

We are still playing Snakes And Ladders as we attempt to catch up... whilst several clubs above us have already moved on to playing The Game Of Life instead. And then, there's 3 or 4 are now playing Monopoly instead. 

Hope we smash this scum in to next week, Kane won't fancy getting injured and they are bang average when he doesn't contribute, take the cheating scum out the game early on.

Ollie brace and a Jack dream goal. Emi to break the record. 

0-3 UTV

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Hope we smash this scum in to next week, Kane won't fancy getting injured and they are bang average when he doesn't contribute, take the cheating scum out the game early on.

Ollie brace and a Jack dream goal. Emi to break the record. 

0-3 UTV

Maybe chuck in a Kane red card for diving or endangering an opponent in the air? (Crazy talk, I know).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Here's a thing - I've just seen Spurs manager on the TV, talking about Spurs having had a poor season but being committed to whatever tournament they end up being in next season and  being committed to having a better season next season - and I can't help but think, what is it they're expecting?

They're sixth now - they aren't going to be better than City, Utd, Chelsea or Liverpool next season - so they're essential one position away from what I reckon is the best season they can have in 2021-22. 

This isn't a bad season for Spurs, they've had a couple of seasons of Champions league and lost their perspective I think.

For Spurs, a good season is finishing in the top six, as high as they can and holding off the chasing pack, but their expectation is an enemy to them - they think they're title challengers.

I really think there's a vulnerability to Spurs; this is the team we should be chasing, this is the team Everton should be chasing, Spurs are the marker.

If they appoint a good manager next season and finish where you'd pretty much expect hem to, they'll consider it bad and they'll put themselves under all sorts of pressure.

I'm not expecting a win tonight, but I think Spurs can definitely be the measure by which we judge our future progress.

They overachieved under Poch when they regularly challenged for the title and they mistakenly think that's their level. I agree we should be looking to overtake them in the next few years.

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

Unfortunately we’ll get out muscled in midfield again, and I’m expecting a loss by a couple of goals. Spurs are too big and physical for our little weaklings, whilst we’ll play the neater football we’ll ultimately lose to power. We’ve maybe an outside chance of a surprise element if we bring in one or two fringe youngsters later in the game that could catch Spurs unawares. I don’t envisage that, though. I’d like to see Raikhy, Barry, and Chukwuemka all make the bench…….but again, can’t see that happening. Those 3 would be my pick of the youngsters who could surprise Spurs with 20-30min cameos. 

41 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

I’d like to see Raikhy, Barry, and Chukwuemka all make the bench…….but again, can’t see that happening. Those 3 would be my pick of the youngsters who could surprise Spurs with 20-30min cameos. 

Me either, sadly. If DS lacks anything, it's a surprise element. The last 5 games have been a missed opportunity to look forward to next season and see what we have in reserve.

• Like 1

they form part of the list of teams we have a hideous curse against, we could field an entire team of the best players in the world and we'll still give them a pathetically soft penalty, or ridiculous defensive gaff that hands them the points.

we'll probably score first then lose 4:1

Their fans represent everything that is wrong in football, completely undeserved arrogance and expectation.

2 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

Their fans represent everything that is wrong in football, completely undeserved arrogance and expectation.

Yep and made even more irritating by fact we always roll over for them. Just once, please can we win... 

5 minutes ago, birdman said:

Yep and made even more irritating by fact we always roll over for them. Just once, please can we win... 

Barring Arsenal (which shows the decline they're in), modern era Villa roll over and easily capitulate like good little also-rans to all the expected teams. It's absolutely maddening. I've always loathed this side of Villa.

2 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

To be fair, this is exactly how fans across the country see us, and they probably have a point.

Finding it hard to get excited about us playing for the first time in ages. Maybe it’s just because it’s the end of the season and not much left to play for, or maybe it’s because I feel like we can’t win against these rocket polishers... 

Don't think it matters what team we put out to be honest - we will only have a chance of getting something from tonight if our attitude is right.

Hoping to see a much improved performance from the Palace game, but expecting a comfortable Spurs win and the inevitable Kane w***fest.

Hopefully Mings back in for Hause (for his presence alone) and I would start Jack to give us a bit of a lift.

I'd go - Emi; Elmo, Konsa, Mings, Targett; Luiz, McGinn, Barkley; El Ghazi, Watkins, Grealish.

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Here's a thing - I've just seen Spurs manager on the TV, talking about Spurs having had a poor season but being committed to whatever tournament they end up being in next season and  being committed to having a better season next season - and I can't help but think, what is it they're expecting?

They're sixth now - they aren't going to be better than City, Utd, Chelsea or Liverpool next season - so they're essential one position away from what I reckon is the best season they can have in 2021-22. 

This isn't a bad season for Spurs, they've had a couple of seasons of Champions league and lost their perspective I think.

I really think there's a vulnerability to Spurs; this is the team we should be chasing, this is the team Everton should be chasing, Spurs are the marker.

If they appoint a good manager next season and finish where you'd pretty much expect hem to, they'll consider it bad and they'll put themselves under all sorts of pressure.

I'm not expecting a win tonight, but I think Spurs can definitely be the measure by which we judge our future progress.

I am reluctant to agree with the early part of you post......Very early season, when Man City, was not totally in their groove, I thought Spurs could have a good chance to challenge.

Liverpool have had a disastrous season by their standards, but could finish in a champions league place, Leicester could easily settle for 6/7 /8 without too much pressure on them.

My point is this league is all about pressure and drive and expectation....Pep could go to any League in the world, but the best strive for this kind of pressure, they embrace it and love it....Jack loves it, Andy Gray wallowed in it....the top players do.

I will be staggered, if our owners, do not have very ambitious expectations for our club, they are not amongst the richest in our league for being shrinking violets, they are hard nosed and we will see it in the future, I am sure of that.

Expectation is far from an enemy, its is to be embraced, and nurtured but it has to be mastered too.....setting low targets breeds complacency and passiveness....setting high targets, stretches sinews and nurtures thought and smartens brain power, it puts folk on their toes as oppose to their heels and it brings success.

All the top teams do it....They also attract the personnel, like " flies on dung ".....it creates action and excitement, its breeds camaraderie....I accept is can be brutal, to those that can't match the standards.....but thats what sets them aside, from the also rans.

Success is not a given.....It has to be fought very hard for and you need the personnel to thrive on that, not baulk at it.

PS I have never understood the accusations aimed at Villa Fans in general for being mean with their expectations or fickle in their support......I think they have been extremely patient over the years and possibly short changed if anything, for their loyal support.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1