Ratings & Reactions: Crystal Palace v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/05/21 at 22:59

Yeah that was shocking. We invited them on to us in the 2nd half, which we seem to be doing quite a lot lately, and were rightly punished for it.

We need reinforcements in every area of the pitch, except GK.

Smith has to take responsibility for this one, both in the way we setup and how he managed the game when it was clear that things were going to shit. It was almost like his only gameplan was to get to 60 mins and then look to bring Grealish on. Everything else was secondary.

• Like 1

Just now, allani said:

Luiz spent 40 minutes trying to cover 3 midfielders.  Ramsay and McGinn both hold their man up, wait for him to lay the ball off and then just let him run straight past them into space.  Doug can only cover so much ground.

Yeah, like I said in the Smith said I think McGinn is by far the worst one. Offered nothing. 

Frankly embarrassing. End of season, doesn't matter so if you want to put in that little effort then put on a load of kids.

Elmo, Hause and Davis aren't Premier League players.

Luiz is on an awful run of form.

Ramsey isn't close to being ready, mostly physically.

Grealish didn't have any impact, Watkins was quiet and Konsa struggled with Hause next to him.

I said to my wife I'd be calm whatever as it doesn't matter... But I was fuming at that second half, it was embarrasing how little quality and effort there was. That's on Smith.

Completely destroyed in midfield. McGinn, Luiz and Ramsey just not good enough. One of them at most should keep their place next season. Maybe Luiz with better players beside him. McGinn needs to be on the bench. Sansson needs to step up and be better next season. Otherwise, we have another 6/10 in a position we are loaded with the same. 

Konsa casually allowing Zaha to turn on the edge of the box was a death wish. 

• Like 2

We should have changed the formation maybe because palace cut out McGinn and Luiz maybe Nakamba could have come on because we were poor in midfield in the second half.

Watkins was clearly fouled in the build for their second. Cahill climbed all over him and they scored from it. Mitchell the jammy git shouldered it in. No one played well in the second half. We needed fresh legs as McGinn was huffing and puffing after 50 minutes as usual.

• Like 1

Just now, est1874 said:

People annoyed because we threw away a 2-1 lead against a poor team and didn't adapt at all when they inevitably changed things up in the second half?

I'd call that plain old 'reacting', mate.

It was a very poor second half and it's right for people to be critical. I'd call the "Smith out" reactions a bit OTT, however.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Or let the  blind faith defending of smith commence.

Never his fault

The same people that had blind faith for McNeil, Lambert & Bruce. How did that turn out for them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Zaha and Eze run the show. Lost too many physical battles, too weak and slow in central midfield. On that performance you would question whether Oli is stong enough to play as a central striker. McGinn was ok Ramsey is too young and weak, Luiz is not and never will be a CDM. We missed Cash today, thought ElHamody should have done better for the last 2 goals. Their attack looked better than ours.

Hause , apart from his passing, defended well, as did Targett, Konsa was ok.

Just finish above Wolves

I'm annoyed with that performance more than I should be maybe. Maybe not.

It was extremely disappointing. Slow, ponderous, tactically naive or nonexistent, nervy. It was pathetic.

• Like 1

Palace started with a very attacking line up and played with real freedom so not surpised at all to see them score a few goals - particularly with us missing both Cash and Mings from our defence.

For us poor overall and I can't see us getting another point to be honest!

We need to strengthen a lot of positions but centre midfield surely must be the priority area as we're so weak there.

Anyway, not the end of the world and I think we'll probably finish 11th regardless of today and the remaining matches.

UTV.

2 minutes ago, allani said:

Luiz spent 40 minutes trying to cover 3 midfielders.  Ramsay and McGinn both hold their man up, wait for him to lay the ball off and then just let him run straight past them into space.  Doug can only cover so much ground.

Indeed. He is also the only one who ever comes short for the ball. Why don't we have multiple players come short so there are options and we aren't so predictable. 

The ref was diabolical! Without tuning the volume down there should be an option for no commentary ( like you can for the crowd noise) as that was just as one sided today! 

2nd half we were garbage, some of that blame has to fall on Smith,, even Stevie Wonder could have seen the system was not working! 

Looks like 11th or possibly 12th now, as I can't see us getting anything from our last 2 games. 

Â