Ratings & Reactions: Crystal Palace v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/05/21 at 22:59

And tell me, why were we not soft, weak an bullied earlier in the season? We were the bullies at times. Shouldn’t overlook all the factors and disruptions during the season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vreitti said:

Slightly odd maybe, but as I've grown older, I find myself less and less concerned by the results. Don't get me wrong, I want us to win, but it's not the be-all and end-all, that it used to be in my 20s. I suppose for the time being, I'm just happy as long as we are competitive, likeable and exciting to watch. And for me, we are all those things in abundance, irrespective of recent patchy form. 

To be fair, 20 points out of the last 63 available, at a rate of less than 1 point per match, is probably a little worse than "recent patchy form". It's hard to see how much of the football we have played in 2021 could be described as enjoyable.

Edited by briny_ear

52 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

To be fair, 20 points out of the last 63 available, at a rate of less than 1 point per match, is probably a little worse than "recent patchy form". It's hard to see how much of the football we have played in 2021 could be described as enjoyable.

Is it really worthwhile to get into this debate again? I prefer to use a slightly longer (than half a season) perspective in my analysis. I fully accept that others may have different point of view, more short-sighted perhaps. Each to his own I suppose. 

Seeing as we seldom agree on anything, it's really not a surprise that we also have differing view on what's enjoyable and and what isn't. That's fine too. I've immensely enjoyed watching us this season. Actually thought we were quite scintillating, first half against palace. Shame we crumbled in the end. There are better days to come, trust me :popcorn:

• Like 2

23 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I look forward to next Christmas so I can tell you to wipe that egg of your chin.

I sincerely hope you are right.  Unfortunately history doesn't lie, and is more in favour of the former than the latter

3 hours ago, Jas10 said:

And tell me, why were we not soft, weak an bullied earlier in the season? We were the bullies at times. Shouldn’t overlook all the factors and disruptions during the season.

It's when the going gets rough you get to see the true mentality in a team.

It's easy to perform when you're flying high. Much harder when things are going a little against you.

Everyone get injuries. Leicester has had tons of devestating injuries this season. Leeds too. West Ham also.

You have to try to get on with it.

1 hour ago, flashingqwerty said:

I sincerely hope you are right.  Unfortunately history doesn't lie, and is more in favour of the former than the latter

More in favour of the egg than your chin?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, vreitti said:

Is it really worthwhile to get into this debate again? I prefer to use a slightly longer (than half a season) perspective in my analysis. I fully accept that others may have different point of view, more short-sighted perhaps. Each to his own I suppose. 

Seeing as we seldom agree on anything, it's really not a surprise that we also have differing view on what's enjoyable and and what isn't. That's fine too. I've immensely enjoyed watching us this season. Actually thought we were quite scintillating, first half against palace. Shame we crumbled in the end. There are better days to come, trust me :popcorn:

Nice rhetoric which doesn’t address my points.

You’re not alone in producing stuff like this.

6 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Nice rhetoric which doesn’t address my points.

You’re not alone in producing stuff like this.

What do you want me to say? We've played 22 league games in 2021, with a record of 6 - 5 - 11. To me that translates into 'patchy form'. 

Do I think it's good enough? No I don't. Am I overly concerned about it, and feel the need to criticize the manager. Not really, since we had that stellar start to the season, resulting in us comfortably lingering in midtable, yielding our best finish ten years if I'm not mistaken. 

I'll say it for umpteenth time. I try to assess the season as a whole, and make my judgment accordingly. 

• Like 1

On 17/05/2021 at 13:17, Jas10 said:

The solution to our problems is to strengthen the team & squad and we will do it.

I see no reason not to look forward to next season with optimism and positivity.

Atm, we lose a key player and we struggle badly (Cash, Mings, Jack). We would badly struggle without Watkins who really is an exceptional player, both in terms of determination/workrate and talent.

The squad is weak but we will work on it. We did good work in strengthening our first team and were lucky to be able to sign an exceptional goalkeeper which was sorely needed.

I’m sure we will continue to go from strength to strength backed by our excellent owners.

We all hope that is the case....and yes, the owners are beyond Dreams.

Â