Ratings & Reactions: Crystal Palace v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/05/21 at 22:59

17 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

There are many that appear that way... and they are all over the place.

We have been more patient with much inferior managers who have gone on bad runs and struggled to achieve any form of success with us. At other times, the abuse has been shameful also.

It seems that now we have tasted some success, we are obsessed and desperate to immediately launch ourselves into the stratosphere!

But Dean is in a different class imo (to the likes of Lambert, Garde, Sherwood, Di Matteo, Bruce et al - have we forgotten how many times we had our asses handed to us whenever we played Brentford while Dean was in charge?) and all we have seen is continued success and progress with him.

Looking at the bigger picture (season to season), we have only improved and also improved our standing each season/year. He has performed some minor miracles with us such as going on a record breaking run of results, achieving a highly unlikely promotion (from where we were) and doing it in with style (! what a change from our previous managers!), having to dismantle and rebuild an aging and unfit squad (in terms of quality for the PL) just to put together a team, in such a short space of time, to try and stay in the league (which we managed to achieve, admittedly by the skin of our teeth but he whipped us into shape just in time). And look how much we have kicked on from that since...

Many seem to be overlooking the extenuating circumstances for our poor form and results this year, we were incredible last year. I don’t think many teams suffered such a Covid outbreak within our ranks such as we did (and we don’t know how many players were actually infected, ill, needed recovery time, experienced lasting effects - that information was not disclosed), we lost our talisman and key player to injury who we still heavily rely on, the quality AM that we needed to link up with and support Jack (Barkley) had a complete and utter loss of form. It has been a very disruptive season unlike any other.

We were flying and our wings were clipped...

I can’t recall the last Villa manager that did not have a run of poor form and results. Dean has achieved incredible things with us, we are now capable of giving anyone a game and frightening the big teams at times. We’ve had some amazing results and performances. He has made us resilient in defence and fixed our prior issues also.

I don’t see why some of us are crapping ourselves and laying all the blame and fault at the managers feet when there are other factors to consider and getting so worked up after a loss. Have we forgotten that we defeated Everton recently and actually put in a positive performance? Do the players not warrant our frustration and criticism (not abuse) or should we only blame the manager for everything?

We should stop looking for or thinking about the shortcut or quick fix (there isn’t one and there are no guarantees. Hiring a new manager doesn’t guarantee us anything, it could actually severely set us back and undo all of the hard work and progress). These things take time, Rome wasn’t built in a day as they say. We have constantly been on an upward trajectory and we should be grateful for that, even when there are stumbles along the way (that’s foootball). It’s never an easy or smooth ride.

We will get to where we want to be, have patience and cut out the negativity, forget the past and embrace the new era for this club.

UTV always...

There are things there, I totally agree with, but to claim negativity towards a poor run of form, is wrong in the face of concern.

The owners for me have been as equally incredible as Dean has they will supposedly stomp another Kings ransom,for us to attempt to fulfil our ambitions.

They will know, better than us, who is right to lead us to their ambitions moving forward.....I too hope its Dean, but they will make that call on the basis of protecting their investment.

No one has a monopoly on what is right, but sentiment can sometimes blur the lines.....Our owners, will be well aware, they have some ruthless peers to compete with in this league as has been recently well documented, and they will employ the necessary approach to nurture their investment....You don't accrue their wealth and be surrounded by fools......I personally, will back their judgment, despite being sceptical with past owners.

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

you and me together...but the form, cannot be dispatched as patchy, its been all year....we have dropped 19 points from winning positions.

Johan Cryuff once said.......

" Quality without results is meaningless, results without quality is boring"

I thinkk, Results are the building block of success it is nigh on unachieveable to claim it without them.

No question, this needs to stop. 

7 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

The solution to our problems is to strengthen the team & squad and we will do it.

I see no reason not to look forward to next season with optimism and positivity.

Atm, we lose a key player and we struggle badly (Cash, Mings, Jack). We would badly struggle without Watkins who really is an exceptional player, both in terms of determination/workrate and talent.

The squad is weak but we will work on it. We did good work in strengthening our first team and were lucky to be able to sign an exceptional goalkeeper which was sorely needed.

I’m sure we will continue to go from strength to strength backed by our excellent owners.

It's almost like there's a plan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

There are things there, I totally agree with, but to claim negativity towards a poor run of form, is wrong in the face of concern.

The owners for me have been as equally incredible as Dean has they will supposedly stomp another Kings ransom,for us to attempt to fulfil our ambitions.

They will know, better than us, who is right to lead us to their ambitions moving forward.....I too hope its Dean, but they will make that call on the basis of protecting their investment.

No one has a monopoly on what is right, but sentiment can sometimes blur the lines.....Our owners, will be well aware, they have some ruthless peers to compete with in this league as has been recently well documented, and they will employ the necessary approach to nurture their investment....You don't accrue their wealth and be surrounded by fools......I personally, will back their judgment, despite being sceptical with past owners.

I have concerns, frustrations and annoyances too. I want us to win every game! Or put in a world class performance in ever game.

And...especially....hand Man U the kind of ultimate thrashing as we did Liverpool.

But it’s completely unrealistic.

Until Dean takes us backwards (which he has never done) there is no justification for calling for his sacking. It’s as simple as that. 

Why do we assume it’s “all going to go to pot” instead of thinking that Dean will actually be working his arse off to improve us and iron out our errors or shortcomings?

And he is going to improve this team by bringing in better and better players, isn’t that something to be enthusiastic about?

He hasn’t yet failed us and like I keep saying: It’s not a smooth/easy ride and never will be.

Dean has more than earned our backing and support, it’s quite despicable for anyone to turn on him.

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

but to claim negativity towards a poor run of form, is wrong in the face of concern

Eh? 
Have you missed all of the Dean Out, sack Dean, he’s taken us as far as he can etc. comments?

What’s wrong with calling that out? 
Concern is one thing, that’s not what that is.

It’s not just here, it’s everywhere. There’s so much of it online and it’s become some sort of habit or trend. Oh, let’s get Poch in! Let’s get Bielsa in! Let’s get Naglesman in! (He’s gone to Bayern for big bucks you dumb idiots!). It’s ludicrous!

Seems like you’re completely disregarding all that.

There is at least one user here who is constantly calling for us to get rid of Dean at any opportunity.

How have you missed it?

That’s not concern TRO, it’s actually unreasonable.

10 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Eh? 
Have you missed all of the Dean Out, sack Dean, he’s taken us as far as he can etc. comments?

What’s wrong with calling that out? 
Concern is one thing, that’s not what that is.

It’s not just here, it’s everywhere. There’s so much of it online and it’s become some sort of habit or trend. Oh, let’s get Poch in! Let’s get Bielsa in! Let’s get Naglesman in! (He’s gone to Bayern for big bucks you dumb idiots!). It’s ludicrous!

Seems like you’re completely disregarding all that.

There is at least one user here who is constantly calling for us to get rid of Dean at any opportunity.

How have you missed it?

That’s not concern TRO, it’s actually unreasonable.

I am not privvy to all that, maybe you have me at a disadvantage....My only form of social Media is on here, so forgive me for having such a small window to comment on.

I disagree with all that, mass slagging off....I agree with you.

but I will back the owners, in their pursuit of betterment....If they back Dean, so do I.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, TRO said:

I am not privvy to all that, maybe you have me at a disadvantage.

I disagree with all that, mass slagging off....I agree with you.

but I will back the owners, in their pursuit of betterment....If they back Dean, so do I.

I honestly don’t know how you’ve missed any of that and that is all I’ve been referring or responding to really but ok, no problem.

I think it’s obvious that the owners have vastly superior acumen and judgement than many of us fans...

They’ve backed Dean and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future... he has undoubtedly done a good job for them. I would rather have owners that back and stick with their manager rather than chop and change all the time, it doesn’t work.

It’s important to build something and that takes time, they are strengthening the whole club in every possible area. Even looking to expand/extend the stadium too.

28 minutes ago, vreitti said:

No question, this needs to stop. 

It needs to be faced, It needs to be accepted as an issue and the a solution needs to be found.

In the problem solving process...Admission/acceptabilty plays a bit part.

I am not in favour of heads rolling, I am in favour of systematic rebuilding our ability to be more resillient, (but I am not in favour of sweeping it under the carpet either).....whatever, is involved.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

It needs to be faced, It needs to be accepted as an issue and the a solution needs to be found.

I am not in favour of heads rolling, I am in favour of systematic rebuilding our ability to be more resillient, (but I am not in favour of sweeping it under the carpet either).....whatever, is involved.

Agreed, it's most definitely an issue that needs to be dealt with. Some of it might fall under fatigue, and an overdrawn season... but I do think we need further additions to the squad (no more luxury players) and perhaps also, some tactical adjustments.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Agreed, it's most definitely an issue that needs to be dealt with. Some of it might fall under fatigue, and an overdrawn season... but I do think we need further additions to the squad (no more luxury players) and perhaps also, some tactical adjustments.

I am reluctant to to dismiss guile.....but I am in favour of bringing in a player is comfortable, with being asked to help us control a game.....they will need an array of attributes and character being one.

I have an uneasy feeling of a reluctance to do so, and one of "Luxury" being an answer to the next signing and the next and so on.

I have a genuine belief... that if we get the midfield right, so many other players we have doubts about, those same doubts may be removed....its not just midfield, but I believe that is the priority, right now.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don’t disagree with that, but I trust Dean and the coaching team to sort it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't think you can learn mentality, like that....Its more intrinsic.

Its more about choosing players with the Character....No one taught Andy Gray it.....it was in him....its in your DNA.

These same players before Bielsa arrived were a bunch of nobodys.

He has definitely changed their whole culture.

Whereas under Smith since the moment he arrived i would argue we've always had a soft underbelly.

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

These same players before Bielsa arrived were a bunch of nobodys.

He has definitely changed their whole culture.

Whereas under Smith since the moment he arrived i would argue we've always had a soft underbelly.

Hmmmmmm.

42 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I would love for it all be down to fatigue but i have a suspicion the core problem is  much deeper than that.

We are soft. Easy to bully. Weak characters all around, and have a manager who is very slow to react and rectify issues.

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Does anyone think Klopp should be sacked?

In terms of slack in the Bank, I think it is stretch....League title and European cup, gives you a bit

I will say this though.....In terms of slump from what they were to what they have served up, its a fair question.

The thing is, despite their rocky ride, this season and for sure they have had some horror shows, one we inflicted.....Their league placing could be amazing on reflection....possible champions league place.

Its this resillience, I pursue.....they ability to grind out results, when we play below par.

I still think searching question will be asked at the Post season review.....but No, he should stay.

Something that seems to be overlooked and also differentiates Dean from our previous managers is his honesty, he is critical and unhappy with poor performance and results.

You never see him say, “good bunch of lads, we go again, you can’t get anyone better than me” etc. etc.

He is openly critical and visibly annoyed by poor performances and results (you can see that he cares) and you know he will always try to improve and rectify errors and shortcomings in the team. He just doesn’t have anything resembling a full toolset (squad, players) yet...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

The players and manager are making the same mistakes now they were making 3 years ago when DS took over.

So you misse dhte parts where we were playing the best football I've ever seen us play bar spells under Little, Gregory, Fat Ron and obviously the glory days which I've only really seen after the fact properly as I was a kid at the time. You weren't watching the first half of this season? You missed the run that got us promoted? Unless you mean when we're poor we give the ball away, that's what footballers do when they make a mistake, it's not a sign of Smith's coaching or the overarching project is poor. It's a player being shit, they all do that from time to time. If you in anyway mean that in 3 years there has been no positive progress you are out of your mind.

The manager insists on the same tactics and formation for nearly every games, and hardly ever makes changes when its clear the game has gotten away from us, instead making them only when forced, and more often than not sticks to like for like changes rather than trying to change a game.

Just because it says 4-3-3 doesn't mean there has been no change in tactics or shape. If you can't see the difference between one back and two up and two back and one up in the midfield 3 then that's not Smith's fault. If you can't see the difference between it being played as a 4-2-3-1 sometimes and a genuine attacking front 3 at others that's not Smith's fault either. We've played with 2 up top at times as well. We have a mid table first 11, which when playing well has beaten some of the best teams in this league and looked awesome doing it. Beyond that we don't have a whole lot off the bench, especially not 3 or 4 players who can change a game coming off it.

Smith is a one trick pony, and he's been found out.

LOL. He and the current board are just getting started mate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

he is critical and unhappy with poor performance and results.

But he isn't rectifying it.

Those words holds no ground if they aren't being put into practice. In fact it just comes across just as annoying.

Â