Ratings & Reactions: Crystal Palace v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/05/21 at 22:59

23 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Do some people have no loyalty or appreciation? Sickens me that some are desperate for us to sack Deano.

We have gone from strength to strengthen with him at the helm and he has worked wonders in such a short space of time in all honesty. There’s no doubt that he has overachieved really.

We finally have a good manager with the potential to improve and perform even better as he continues to gain PL experience and sign and coach better players.

Like any manager, he has his flaws - of course he does. But how much can he do when he’s working with what is honestly a poor squad? I’m sure we will keep improving and progressing as we continue to strengthen the team and squad.

Some people simply have no patience and want a shortcut to success - it doesn’t work that way. There really is a fickleness in a section of our fanbase and I really don’t like it, I had hoped we had more integrity.

Let’s back Dean all the way, he hasn’t let us down...

Thank you, you saved me having to type this , absolutely top post. You will  probably get slaughtered for it, but you are 100% correct.

• Thanks 1

Just now, HKP90 said:

It’s not just villatalk. This is the way the world is now. Everything has to be now now now. 

Not sure if a bad thing or a good thing, but it’s definitely a thing.

Yeah, I’ve seen it all over the place. On YouTube comments, Twitter threads etc.

It disgusts me, we finally have someone who is worth sticking with but he is getting as much if not worse criticism than some of the utterly shittest managers we have ever had in our history. I thought our fans were maybe better than those of other clubs and not as fickle but I am constantly being proven wrong...

I mean, we were struggling to get out of the Championship and wasting millions!
And now look where we are... he deserves massive credit. We haven’t even “gone down”, declined or receded under his tenure. If we had to draw a line on a chart it would just be going upwards!! 

UTV

UTDS

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Didn’t see the game but I think that’s the first time I’ve seen Smith highest rating as very poor. Did he get it wrong tactically?

Everything went wrong.

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

The capitulation for the third goal was unacceptable.

Palace are a digusting team - 23 or more fouls with only 3 bookings. Ward kicked Jack everywhere and I've never seen Ollie bodied so much - Cahill fould him in the build up for the second goal.

We didn't take our chances in the second half, our set pieces wasted.

Palace overloaded the midfield and we didn't have a response. This is a collective failing, not just individual.

The game flipped on its head too easy. A very end of season feel.

but they never got near us in the first half, they just stood off us.....We simply invited them in, with our low grade football.

33 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Do some people have no loyalty or appreciation? Sickens me that some are desperate for us to sack Deano.

We have gone from strength to strength with him at the helm, and he has worked wonders in such a short space of time in all honesty. There’s no doubt that he has overachieved really.

We finally, FINALLY, have a good manager with the potential to improve and perform even better as he continues to gain PL experience and sign and coach better players.

Like any manager, he has his flaws and makes mistakes - of course he does. But how much can he do/change when he’s working with what is honestly a poor squad? I’m sure we will keep improving and progressing as we continue to strengthen the team and squad.

Some people simply have no patience and want a shortcut to success - it doesn’t work that way. There really is a fickleness in a section of our fanbase and I really don’t like it, I had hoped we had more integrity.

Let’s back Dean all the way, he hasn’t let us down...

I agree with this but I think some criticism for our second half performance and his failure to adapt is merited. 

Today kind was the "perfect" summary of our season.  Brilliant for the first third.  Worrying signs in the second third but everyone seemed content to try and hang on and rely on the good start.  Last third we got found out, refused to make any changes and were somewhere between woeful and dreadful.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Deserved nothing. Was a decent watch first half but we are still very mentally weak. 25 odd efforts from a poor Palace side is concerning. Midfield is a problem every week for me. Jack couldnt get in the game at all. Thought Watkins and Targett were our best players.

Meh, lets hope we can hang onto 11th 🤦‍♂️ 

and Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

This team is crying out for Brains in the middle a leader an inspiration. The clumsiness of our play is mind blowing.

On the ball we are sloth like, off the ball anonymous.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, allani said:

Today kind was the "perfect" summary of our season.  Brilliant for the first third.  Worrying signs in the second third but everyone seemed content to try and hang on and rely on the good start.  Last third we got found out, refused to make any changes and were somewhere between woeful and dreadful.

Is that turgid?

We conceded 3 goals and i voted Emi MOTM.

Says it all.

Huge mentality problem in this team. Smith smiling with Roy after the game pissed me off. He should be furious after witnessing that.

Edited by villalad21

33 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

You raised it not me. If I did say it at the time of appointment it was likely because of his record of promotions out of that division. However, I wouldn't have continued to support him like the 'Blind Faith' wallers on here once I realised that he wasn't going to cut it in the job. I was pleased with Smith's appointment as I believed he could get us promoted but I am also smart enough to realise that at PL level he is naive and doesn't have what it takes to take us to the next level. It's called 'Being able to see the wood for the trees'! You should try it some time.

Finally. Yeah, I  get it. You're the expert when it comes to football managers. I take my hat to you.

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I agree with this but I think some criticism for our second half performance and his failure to adapt is merited. 

That’s fine and I don’t disagree, criticism is fine when it’s warranted and constructive. That 2nd half was appalling but don’t the players deserve criticism or does it all just fall on the manager?

But to call for him to be sacked after every poor performance or result is excessive and simply not on.

Why do we forget the amazing results and performances in these moments?

And just changing a manager doesn’t guarantee success (we’ve seen that many times), it’s worth sticking with a good one and allow them to progress and improve with the team.

Is there such a thing as a perfect manager? Is there a team that wins every game and never puts in a poor performance? I really don’t think so and if there has been or any team has ever come close to it then it isn’t without massive investment and a seriously strong squad with genuine options off the bench - we don’t have that.

Certain people just want a quick fix but it doesn’t work like that and it’s a poor/limited way of thinking.

I wish we had more and more widespread decency and integrity in our fanbase. It makes people look thick when their only response or message is, “Smith OUT”.

Edited by Jas10

Â