Ratings & Reactions: Crystal Palace v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/05/21 at 22:59

Unpopular opinion possibly but we were a lot worse when Jack came on. Although it was a terrible second half performance overall.

Anwar and Traore both good in the first half, AEG edged my MOTM vote for his goal.

So frustrating to lose that even though Palace were much better second half, I felt we let them play in front of us. 

Davis and Wes no time to make a real difference. Looks like we’ll finish below Leeds now which is mad considering our first half of the season. I know everybody is angry about how we’ve tailed off but I really think the Covid outbreak did for our season. Initially in terms of fitness but also in terms of momentum.

• Like 2

The game today summed up Villa perfectly this season. We have enough ability in the side to be in the PL but we need a stronger squad, there are too many gaps when players are injured or out of form.

Having said that we lose games like today for two reason. We have zero mental strength or resilience and the tactical decisions made by the management are woeful. As some have pointed out Hodgeson saw the problem and fixed it. We saw the problem (I hope!) and did not. Blaming the ref or blaming Palace for being too physical is seeing the symptoms but not the cause.

We need to be tougher both mentally and physically. We were bullied second half and we were just not capable of dealing with it and it happens in far too many games. Fix and that and we are a long way to solving our problems. We need more class in the squad but that is only part of it.

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

Don't make me look for it. Take some responsibility. 

You raised it not me. If I did say it at the time of appointment it was likely because of his record of promotions out of that division. However, I wouldn't have continued to support him like the 'Blind Faith' wallers on here once I realised that he wasn't going to cut it in the job. I was pleased with Smith's appointment as I believed he could get us promoted but I am also smart enough to realise that at PL level he is naive and doesn't have what it takes to take us to the next level. It's called 'Being able to see the wood for the trees'! You should try it some time.

30 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

"Game management" - he didn't make the subs I wanted.

"This one's on Smith" this is my chance to repeat my last 400 posts.

"Anyone could see" after the game I could see.

"He's spent x million" - ill use any reason to blame him.

I love you all, even if some of you are bluenoses. 

Post of the day.

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Didn’t see the game but I think that’s the first time I’ve seen Smith highest rating as very poor. Did he get it wrong tactically?

He got everything wrong. Reminiscent of last season.

14 minutes ago, chappy said:

Unpopular opinion possibly but we were a lot worse when Jack came on. Although it was a terrible second half performance overall.

Anwar and Traore both good in the first half, AEG edged my MOTM vote for his goal.

So frustrating to lose that even though Palace were much better second half, I felt we let them play in front of us. 

Davis and Wes no time to make a real difference. Looks like we’ll finish below Leeds now which is mad considering our first half of the season. I know everybody is angry about how we’ve tailed off but I really think the Covid outbreak did for our season. Initially in terms of fitness but also in terms of momentum.

Yep, Covid hit us hard and disrupted us massively. It’s a shame, really affected some of our players by the looks of it.

Jack’s injury stalled us further, no doubt we would’ve picked up more points with him in the side all this time.

Still can’t help but be disappointed and frustrated with some our performances since though and lack of ability to see games out or how we throw away leads...

Had we continued without that disruption, we may well have been looking at a top 6-8 finish....

Hopefully we can do it next season with some proper signings, the team and squad is still too weak.

20 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Do some people have no loyalty or appreciation? Sickens me that some are desperate for us to sack Deano.

We have gone from strength to strengthen with him at the helm and he has worked wonders in such a short space of time in all honesty. There’s no doubt that he has overachieved really.

We finally have a good manager with the potential to improve and perform even better as he continues to gain PL experience and sign and coach better players.

Like any manager, he has his flaws - of course he does. But how much can he do when he’s working with what is honestly a poor squad? I’m sure we will keep improving and progressing as we continue to strengthen the team and squad.

Some people simply have no patience and want a shortcut to success - it doesn’t work that way. There really is a fickleness in a section of our fanbase and I really don’t like it, I had hoped we had more integrity.

Let’s back Dean all the way, he hasn’t let us down...

It’s not just villatalk. This is the way the world is now. Everything has to be now now now. 

Not sure if a bad thing or a good thing, but it’s definitely a thing.

• Like 3

Â