Ratings & Reactions: Crystal Palace v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/05/21 at 22:59

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Palace fully deserved their win. Smiths should be tearing a strip off every single player in that dressing room. 

Smith needs to look in a mirror and tear a strip off himself.

It was clear 10 mins into 2nd half that we had lost the midfield battle, but rather than strengthen our weakness he introduces an unfit grealish placing more pressure on our defence.

Smith is so tactically naive.  He has learnt nothing from his 2 years in the prem, and is not the man to take us into the top half.

Guarantee come christmas we will be in the relegation places wondering where it all went wrong.

Limp, the lot of them

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I think time will prove you wrong on that last bit, plus saying he's learnt nothing and is naive is ridiculous. 

We weren't very good for 80% of the game today, but getting the hump about it with Smith and ignoring what we've done since he came in is just mental.

You must be watching different games to me 

The players and manager are making the same mistakes now they were making 3 years ago when DS took over.

The team is riddled with individual errors, the team look bereft of basic footballing skill, and we almost always suffer from the half time break.

The manager insists on the same tactics and formation for nearly every games, and hardly ever makes changes when its clear the game has gotten away from us, instead making them only when forced, and more often than not sticks to like for like changes rather than trying to change a game.

All that really changed between last season and this, is that we pressed harder and higher up the pitch.  Once teams figured out that if you do the same to us, we make errors, our season changed.

Smith is a one trick pony, and he's been found out.

• Like 2

Nakamba must be ringing his agent if Ramsey is ahead of him in the pecking order. Its is a disappointing result and at the moment I can't see us getting 50 points with 2 very tough fixtures coming up. I thought we would at least get a point today. Elmo is a trooper but we miss Cash a lot when he is out. Its still been a good season and plenty to build on but the last 3 months or so has been a tad disappointing given how good we were looking in the first of the season.

2 hours ago, HKP90 said:

See your point, but you can't judge someone on performance against a set target, then move that target and criticise them for not meeting it. Target was 12th. Your expectation was 14th. Both met.

Oh, I genuinely missed that announcement. When was the target set as 12th and by whom? Board, CEO.both ?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Oh, I genuinely missed that announcement. When was the target set as 12th and by whom? Board, CEO.both ?

Smith said the other day

• Like 2

Emm ok....

That second half was abysmal, so far onto the beach the tide almost took them out.

1.  I hope Jacob Ramsey proves me wrong but I don't see a premier league player in the making there, he plays in such a difficult position so hopefully he improves drastically with experience but I have zero expectations
  2. £100m needed on 3 starters in the summer
  3. Sick of seeing terrible officiating. If Villa were playing Man Utd and we scored their winner it would have been disallowed and we all know it. Imo it was handball.
  4. Grealish unfit but that's understandablee.
  5. Douglas Luiz is clearly a good footballer because we've seen it in bursts but we clearly don't utilise him properly.  He offers us absolutely nothing every game.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, pacbuddies said:

If the owners are serious about significant progress then they need to be ruthless and get rid of Smith and replace him with a top quality manager.

It’s beginning to point to this but i think he deserves to start next season and see how he gets on but Christmas ahead of the Jan window is a key review point. Stability is very important, but managerial success is never guaranteed and you have to be wary of what you wish for.

The more we spend the more expectation there is on his performance, we will soon be one of the biggest net spenders in the league and that deserves and expects significant success.

2 hours ago, chappy said:

Seems to be an increasingly prevalent problem on here

Can i be so bold to say....you may of taken his comment out of context.

I think he meant we can't sit on our hands, waiting for Dean to fail, before we do something.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

So it’s a retrospective target mentioned only once you know what you are likely to achieve? 😂

I assume he had discussed it with the board, doy.

11 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

So it’s a retrospective target mentioned only once you know what you are likely to achieve? 😂

"It's nice to be in the top 10 and we want to continue that, that was one of our aims this season, to make sure we were in the top 12.”

Implies a pre-discussed target.

• Like 2

We had no composure  at all. We went 1 up and continued  to lose possession by trying to hit defense splitting passes from defense. Constantly handing over possession  to a Palace team who were chasing the game with a high press, I bet they couldn't  believe  their luck. 

We really haven't grasped the dark arts of the game. We should have kept possession with safer short passes, not surrendered it with hopeful punts.

We don't kill games and seem unable to prevent the opposition  from building pressure up. Watch Chelsea or a host of other teams kill games when they are winning. One example ,when they are fouled they stay down,  moan at the ref and generally  disrupt the flow of the game, . We just don't do any of this. It's niave and it's costing us .

• Like 1

It bothers me how quickly some of our players want to release the ball rather than keep hold of it for a few seconds, look up and play it to the right man. So frustrating how we surrender possession so easily, it wasn’t a problem much earlier in the season...

The desperation to hit it long and wide to Jack when he came on (McGinn being the main culprit and losing possession so often) was disappointing too, the others should have some self confidence and belief in their own ability and we should focus on build up play rather than just hitting it long and hopeful... this really needs drilling into the players’ heads. It’s almost like they’re intimidated by Jack and feel like they absolutely have to rely on him. Again, it wasn’t the case last year. 

We have resorted to it too often and relied on Watkins to just chase these last few months too...

Too many players have lost form (Barkley most prominently) and energy so we have been unable to recreate those kind of team performances. It’s a shame and there have been various factors that have contributed to this.

Jack would be better off in the centre at times so that he could become more involved in games and situations like this, he was too isolated or crowded out on that left wing for the short time that he was on. Rather than switch over to the right, he should alternate between that LW and AM position (we have no one good enough there right now).

I’d love us to mix it up and play a bit more centrally rather than just hit it wide and get some, usually aimless, crosses in. We’re shit from corners too and don’t carry any threat, at least Bert’s delivery was decent in that first half.

Edited by Jas10

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Can i be so bold to say....you may of taken his comment out of context.

I think he meant we can't sit on our hands, waiting for Dean to fail, before we do something.

The question is: Why does anyone expect (or even want) Dean to fail?

• Like 1

What we will do is strengthen the team and therefore the squad and have a less disruptive season (hopefully) which should allow Dean to continue take us even further next season and make our form and performances more consistent.

Not sack the manager and throw away all the hard work and progress.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Pretty sure Grealish said 8th-12th was the target for this season at some point before Christmas 

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

The question is: Why does anyone expect (or even want) Dean to fail?

They're chomping at the bit, some of them, and I'm afraid that will never change. They would actually enjoy being proven right and, for me, that's shameful. 

Â