Euro 2021 general chat

villa4europe

Thought I'd start the thread seeing as Holland have named their provisional squad

34 man squad, coached by de boer so I'm not sure it matters... They have so many exciting young players but hardly any of them have made it, koopmeiners, wijndal, timber, Gravenberch, malen are in but boadu, ihatteren, botman and stengs all miss out (and I'd assume are straight on to their agents trying to get transfers this summer) not a clue where kluivert is

They're in group C with Ukraine, Macedonia and Austria so you'd still say they should top that group

As per his own thread Anwar has made it and I think he might have a chance of making the cut too

• Like 2

As mentioned previously, I've got 4 tickets for England vs Scotland.

Its 5 weeks away and we still have no idea if we are going or not!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Thought I'd start the thread seeing as Holland have named their provisional squad

34 man squad, coached by de boer so I'm not sure it matters... They have so many exciting young players but hardly any of them have made it, koopmeiners, wijndal, timber, Gravenberch, malen are in but boadu, ihatteren, botman and stengs all miss out (and I'd assume are straight on to their agents trying to get transfers this summer) not a clue where kluivert is

They're in group C with Ukraine, Macedonia and Austria so you'd still say they should top that group

As per his own thread Anwar has made it and I think he might have a chance of making the cut too

Hasn't the Dutch manager been really shit since he took over? Their were talks of Robben getting a call up since he played for Groningen at the weekend but that didn't happen, and on a personal level I'm fuming.

36 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Hope Anwar makes it but yeah there's not a chance Holland will do well in this competition. De Boer makes Southgate look like a managerial genius.

He be sacked and Koeman will return

Open tournament with France and England favourites but both have weaknesses. Germany, Belgium Portugal and Spain might challenge but have issues and Croatia have got old. 

Italy are under the radar and no players in the major finals could help them

Just now, Zatman said:

Open tournament with France and England favourites but both have weaknesses. Germany, Belgium Portugal and Spain might challenge but have issues and Croatia have got old. 

Italy are under the radar and no players in the major finals could help them

I think it might be Belgiums time myself depending on the fitness of key players. england should be well in it but i dont trust Southagte

Who will be the surprise package given last tournament Iceland made quarters and Wales made SF?

Haven't looked at the predicted squads but got a feeling Ukraine might do well and go under the radar. Shevchenko been really good as manager, getting them out of tough euros group comfortably and they drew 1-1 away to France in world cup qualifiers in March. They're in probably the weakest group and avoid all the main teams so real chance to get through comfortably and build momentum.

England will go out in the 2nd round imo

Win the group and get 2nd place from the group with Germany, France, Portugal and Hungary, 2 of those 4 beat us comfortably, a game vs a "weak" Germany would be fun

Germany will be interesting in general, low is going, there's a huge managerial merry go round already agreed for the summer, the squad isn't great or any better than the one that was poor at the world cup 

Just now, VillaChris said:

Who will be the surprise package given last tournament Iceland made quarters and Wales made SF?

Haven't looked at the predicted squads but got a feeling Ukraine might do well and go under the radar. Shevchenko been really good as manager, getting them out of tough euros group comfortably and they drew 1-1 away to France in world cup qualifiers in March. They're in probably the weakest group and avoid all the main teams so real chance to get through comfortably and build momentum.

North Macedonia with the mighty Göran Pandev 😁😁

Scotland could shock people, Turkey area dangerous team similar with Poland. Maybe it came a year too late for Finland

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

I think it might be Belgiums time myself depending on the fitness of key players. england should be well in it but i dont trust Southagte

Belgium defence is past it imo, Vertonghen massively declined last few years and Toby gone same last 18 months and can only play well if Spurs park their defence on 18 yard box, I assume Martinez still pushes his defence high up so that's asking for trouble.

Given Hazard is also non factor currently it's simply on De Bruyne and Lukaku to be really good. If either are under par I don't think Belgium will get past quarters. Got an England 2006 feel about them now with many of their key players 30 or over.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Not sure outside De Bruyne amd Lukaku none have had really brilliant seasons. Defence is  really weak

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

North Macedonia with the mighty Göran Pandev 😁😁

Scotland could shock people, Turkey area dangerous team similar with Poland. Maybe it came a year too late for Finland

Yes Turkey had some really good results in last 18 months aswell and got a decent spine.

ALways been an odd team historically, don't tend to get to many tournaments but when they do they massively overachieve e.g. 3rd place in 2002 world cup and then made euro 2008 SF where Germany only narrowly beat them. Then hardly made a tournament in last 10 years, bit of a european Uruguay.

Think Wales are in a really tough group to get out of this time, Italy will surely win it and I think they'll struggle to beat Turkey and also Swiss who are an established tournament team who know how to get out of groups.

Just now, Zatman said:

Not sure outside De Bruyne amd Lukaku none have had really brilliant seasons. Defence is  really weak

Will Hazard come back fresh. Yes still beat England and I think time is running out for their golden generation so could be there last chance. 

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

England will go out in the 2nd round imo

Win the group and get 2nd place from the group with Germany, France, Portugal and Hungary, 2 of those 4 beat us comfortably, a game vs a "weak" Germany would be fun

Germany will be interesting in general, low is going, there's a huge managerial merry go round already agreed for the summer, the squad isn't great or any better than the one that was poor at the world cup 

I honestly think England would beat Germany this time but of course you know the mental stuff and build up will mean going 1-0 down before kick off. As much as England backline is weak the german one really isn't that much better at all.

Need to avoid France at all costs in last 16 as that's team England would have 0% of beating, very solid backline, very physical and mobile midfield who can overpower England and ridiculous pace on counter attack with Mbappe.

France remain favourites for me to repeat what they did between 1998-2000.

Yeah France have the depth that no one else does in pretty much every position and seemingly no real dependency on certain players 

If we win the group and they win the group then it'll be final only vs them at a guess 

• Like 1

Zlatan out of the Euro's, Alexander Isak also doubtful and Sebastian Andersson already ruled out. 

Not looking great upfront for Sweden with only the ageing Markus Berg and Robin Quaison who's been injured for most of the season. Guess it means Jesper Karlsson from AZ and Jordan (son of Henrik) Larsson will be going to the Euro's.

Edited by sne

If Grealish plays it will be his tournament. His mentality has improved sooo  much he's definitely an elite player. Him and Foden to lead England to a glorious triumph.

Edited by Sulberto21
Bleeding autocorrect

43 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

If Grealish plays it will be his tournament. His mentality has improved sooo  much he's definitely an elite player. Him and Foden to lead England to a glorious triumph.

0% chance of Jack starting. I mean it was seriously in doubt when he was one of best players in league in November and he's just been out for three months while Foden and Mount have really stepped up and secured starting spots. And Southgate will still start at least one of Rashford/Sterling although more on reputation than any great form.

Could still do a Platt in Italia 90 though, coming in during the tournment if England have dodgy group stage or lose a player or two to injury as things go on.

• Like 1

Â