Pre-match Thread

I've just seen Leeds have duffed up Burnley 0-4.  Have we still got a possible chance of reaching the Europa league? It was nice to see Grealish the other day come on and I bet he starts tomorrow.

Personally, I don't think we'll reach the Europa league place. I read this morning about a Europa conference league which might involve us.

Back to the game, we probably should win this 1. Prediction: 1-2 to us.

We have made a habit of winning at home and losing away to Palace. It is about time that we stopped losing there! We are currently 8 points above them, so a point (given their inferior goal difference) will see us finish above them this season. It would be nicer to win what could well be our last game, against a Woy managed team though.

We have lost our last two games at Selhurst Park by the odd goal. We last won there back in 2014 and our last away win prior to that was 40 years ago, during our title winning season.  Since 1980 we have made 12 league visits to Selhurst Park and have had 1 win, 5 draws and 6 defeats during that period. Overall, we have won 14 and have drawn 10 of the 35 league games, that have been played between the two clubs. Let's win on Sunday afternoon. That would see us cut the gap between ourselves and Leeds to 1 point, as well as extend the gap between Wolves and ourselves (potentially to 7 points). Just win this one for us Villa!

• Like 3

Benteke is bound to score against one day and he seems to be in good form.

We play to our potential and we'll win comfortably. If we play like we have been then I haven't got any idea what will happen.

45 minutes ago, Louis said:

I've just seen Leeds have duffed up Burnley 0-4.  Have we still got a possible chance of reaching the Europa league? It was nice to see Grealish the other day come on and I bet he starts tomorrow.

Personally, I don't think we'll reach the Europa league place. I read this morning about a Europa conference league which might involve us.

Back to the game, we probably should win this 1. Prediction: 1-2 to us.

No, that bird has well and truly flown. The Europa Conference League is likely to be the 7th placed team or the 8th if Chelsea win the CL but fail to qualify for Europe otherwise (I believe). I think 7th or 8th is beyond us now and I would happily take 10th now. 

9 minutes ago, John said:

No, that bird has well and truly flown. The Europa Conference League is likely to be the 7th placed team or the 8th if Chelsea win the CL but fail to qualify for Europe otherwise (I believe). I think 7th or 8th is beyond us now and I would happily take 10th now. 

OK- quite good useful information but let's see how things pan out. Since we lost Grealish we looked different.

• Like 1

Difficult to call this one. We are not at our best but Palace are usually on the beach this time a year.

They have a remarkable amount of players on expiring contracts (16 according to Transfermarkt) and a manager who's likely also out the door so who knows what their motivation is like. Some will be playing for new contracts, some for transfers and some will be utterly disinterested. There is also the odd ones like van Aanholt who will be fighting for a spot in the Euro's.

We'll have Watkins back and Grealish at least on the bench. Hopefully Mings will not let Zaha get under his skin this time.

On 14/05/2021 at 13:18, gwi1890 said:

Don’t get the “nothing riding on this game” talk Im desperate for a top half finish would love to finish above Leeds and Arsenal if possible , I’d like to think the team feel the same.

There is about £2.5m on each league position so finishing one place higher would completely pay the wages of a £50k pw player all year.  It's important to us. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Eligius said:

I think we will win a  tight game, it will be interesting to see if Dean starts Barkley in this considering his awful appearance against Everton.

I can't see any point of him even being in the squad. He's been a nothing player for us since restart.  His performance away to Everton was acceptable and that's by a country mile the best he's been. 

He's not going to be here next season and he offers nothing. Give him a couple of weeks holiday before he returns to Chelsea and let's see what one of our own players can do. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

This is the kind of game Tyrone takes it upon himself to prove he's more manly than his opposite number (benteke) and he'll do something rash.

Got a feeling! 

Quite remarkable such an switched on bloke is so easy to rattle. If managers took notice, you could get him in a right pickle every week by just winding him up.

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

This is the kind of game Tyrone takes it upon himself to prove he's more manly than his opposite number (benteke) and he'll do something rash.

Got a feeling! 

What a strange thing to say! I can't believe you think that Tyrone will do something rash to Benteke.

... it's clearly Zaha he has an issue with :trollface:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think it'll be pretty much the familiar side - I think Jack will get half an hour, maybe a little more.

---------------------------------Martintez--------------------------------

Elmohamady-----Konsa---------Mings--------------Targett

--------------------------------------Luiz------------------------------------

------------------------Barkley---------McGinn-----------------------

Traore----------------------------------------------------------El Ghazi

----------------------------------Watkins----------------------------------

subs; Steer, Hause, Taylor, Ramsey, Nakamba, Grealish, Philogene-Bidace, Davis, Wesley

Yeah, that’s how I see it too. It will be interesting how we solve the RB depth issues over the summer. Cash has been excellent, so I think it’ll be harder to bring in someone to challenge who is willing to not start but is still good enough. Maybe there’s the academy defenders to come through that would be better.

I felt the Everton match was a nothing match, but this one has a different feeling. Maybe because it's weekend? :)

Or then because I want us to finish above Wolves, and this is our chance to pretty much guarantee it. I think we'll finish 11th, Spurs and Chelsea are difficult for us, but finishing above Wolves would be important to me.

28 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I felt the Everton match was a nothing match, but this one has a different feeling. Maybe because it's weekend? :)

Or then because I want us to finish above Wolves, and this is our chance to pretty much guarantee it. I think we'll finish 11th, Spurs and Chelsea are difficult for us, but finishing above Wolves would be important to me.

Same here, the season is about done and all that concerns me is finishing above Wolves and when can I go on holiday to Majorca 

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

There is about £2.5m on each league position so finishing one place higher would completely pay the wages of a £50k pw player all year.  It's important to us. 

Yep. There never has been and never will be, a reason to not finish as high as possible in any league in any sport.

• Like 2