Villa kit 2021/2

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'd prefer Hummel, from a purely design point of view.  They do a great job, they genuinely care about every team they dress, and the Chief Brand Officer is a close friend of mine.  He was my Marketing counterpart at Puma when we were doing all the Cameroon, Italy, Spurs, etc.  He's a very smart guy with a strong belief in big ideas and innovation.  I'd also be straight on the phone to him, begging him to let me design it!

As a realist, I'd prefer whoever would offer us the most money. So long as they get the right shades of claret and blue and don't **** about with the home shirt too much, it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Looking at it as a somewhat informed fan, we're in a funny spot where we're not going to get a megabucks deal like Utd, Liverpool etc. They sell millions of shirts worldwide and we just don't. An ideal partner would pay us a good sum of money, maybe incentivised on Euro qualification etc, but would help to position us as an attractive club from a brand POV.

Back when Lerner bought the club, I created a presentation and arranged for it be sent to people in the club, that talked of positioning Villa as the quintessential English club. Historic ground opposite Aston Hall, the most England internationals, a lot of young English players, founders of league football.  Just go out to the world as an international club that evokes the best qualities of "Englishness".  It could be massive in Asia.  Sadly, I never got a call back.  If I were designing/marketing the kit now, that would still be how I'd approach it.

In terms of fan input - I wouldn't be in favour, to be honest. If the club and brand are doing their job properly it wouldn't be needed.  Plus, you'll always get differing opinions based on what individuals prefer.  There's a saying in our industry - a camel is a racehorse designed by committee.

Puma's kits - Italy home and third were great, all those one with the country name written on the front were shit.

It would be unprofessional of me to comment.

On a separate note, I often find your posts to be perceptive and well informed.

Thanks for that post. I always enjoy reading your posts on the kits from a genuine expert's perspective. 

Question for you... Do you think a Euro-chasing Villa are a more desirable brand to a kit manufacturer than Leicester? They don't seem to get much design love from Adidas.  

Maybe i shouldnt say this out loud @NurembergVillan, but as the resident kit expert and designer - why have we not seen all your efforts in recent years on a perfect villa kit? Would be good for us to see what you genuinely think would work and which brands you would work with if you could pick any two. Perhaps i am alone when i sit and wonder why i dont get to drool over images of villa kits, made by a villa fa,n in a villa forum, who has real kit designing experience (no offence anyone else who has, cuz some have been georgeous).

I designed them like we all did as a kid and still have all my hand drawn coloured in efforts within books in the loft that i reminisce about occasionally, so love this aspect of the game. And you have put some serious thought into it above so why not showcase them to us? I always liked the idea of being the englands rose club, with continued postioning as an england feeder club who promote youth and community spirit. :)

I will go on hunger strike until you do!

3 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

I'd prefer Hummel, from a purely design point of view.  They do a great job, they genuinely care about every team they dress, and the Chief Brand Officer is a close friend of mine.  He was my Marketing counterpart at Puma when we were doing all the Cameroon, Italy, Spurs, etc.  He's a very smart guy with a strong belief in big ideas and innovation.  I'd also be straight on the phone to him, begging him to let me design it!

As a realist, I'd prefer whoever would offer us the most money. So long as they get the right shades of claret and blue and don't **** about with the home shirt too much, it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things.

Looking at it as a somewhat informed fan, we're in a funny spot where we're not going to get a megabucks deal like Utd, Liverpool etc. They sell millions of shirts worldwide and we just don't. An ideal partner would pay us a good sum of money, maybe incentivised on Euro qualification etc, but would help to position us as an attractive club from a brand POV.

Back when Lerner bought the club, I created a presentation and arranged for it be sent to people in the club, that talked of positioning Villa as the quintessential English club. Historic ground opposite Aston Hall, the most England internationals, a lot of young English players, founders of league football.  Just go out to the world as an international club that evokes the best qualities of "Englishness".  It could be massive in Asia.  Sadly, I never got a call back.  If I were designing/marketing the kit now, that would still be how I'd approach it.

In terms of fan input - I wouldn't be in favour, to be honest. If the club and brand are doing their job properly it wouldn't be needed.  Plus, you'll always get differing opinions based on what individuals prefer.  There's a saying in our industry - a camel is a racehorse designed by committee.

Puma's kits - Italy home and third were great, all those one with the country name written on the front were shit.

It would be unprofessional of me to comment.

On a separate note, I often find your posts to be perceptive and well informed.

I don't think I've ever said this, but I don't think there's a guy who's opinion I respect more when it comes to kit, than yours. It's really appreciated! 

I do have a question for you regarding upcoming manufactorers/designers. What would your thoughts be on a Villa and GymShark partnership? It's not something I have looked into in terms of what I would expect to happen (logistics, Fanatics etc.) if it came to fruition. But I think it could be a very, very interesting case considering the founder is a massive Villa fan and the ridiculous rise that GymShark has had over the past few years. 

As I said, I haven't given it too much thought, it's just something that's crossed my mind a couple of times over the past few months.

• Thanks 1

The biggest issue with this season's kit is that Kappa's template doesn't work heaps well if you just make the sleeves a contrasting colour, because the sleeve sections are a weird shape and cut. Which is why I would have used the opportunity to do something a bit different.

Kappa have given us 2 fairly traditional Villa kits, they've got scope to do something a bit more unusual. I think the cut of this kappa template would have lent itself well to a striped kit like the 1999/00 kit.

Forgive the horrendous 5 minute paint job, here's what i'd have done on this season's Kappa template:

dbfoZlN.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Just seen the state of Arsenal's new Adidas shirt... maybe not them.

It looks like they've already been demoted to template kit after some nice efforts recently.  We could probably expect this current kit a year later in claret with blue sleeves if we went with Adidas and look like West Ham.  Bag of shite.

14 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

My local team Horsham struck a deal with O'Neills and had a fan vote and there was less than 1% in it which must be the worst outcome I'd have thought.  Half the people want it, half the people didn't.  

Edited by sharkyvilla
Bit off topic

4 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

My local team Horsham struck a deal with O'Neills and had a fan vote and there was less than 1% in it which must be the worst outcome I'd have thought.  Half the people want it, half the people didn't.  

That reminds me a lot of the badge change when Lerner came in. Everyone was able to vote on things like badge shape, colours used, AVFC or Aston Villa etc. All the votes (IIRC) were pretty close, which meant we got a design by committee badge which didn't really satisfy anyone. 

Much better just to get a single professional designer who can do their research and form a singular, cohesive vision. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mrchnry said:

Does the fanatics deal end at the end of this season too? 

Yes 

2 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

As an earlier poster stated Gymshark as manufacturers and distributors, but adding Luke as designer.

Both locally created and owned companies with world-wide fan bases. Perfect surely?

Would be great. 

If they offered competitive rates. 

We're hampered by FFP and playing catch up so we need as much money as possible on deals like this. 

11 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Luke Roper didn’t design the shirt. He paid to have his logo on it. Some bod at fanatics designed it. 

Ooh see I always thought he designed it and fanatics manufactured it.

• Like 1