Low Traffic Neighbourhoods

OutByEaster?

It was all fields around here before 17 year olds got lessons.

There are too many vehicles. We need less motor vehicles that burn oil and can do 30mph down side streets.

Electric buses, electric taxis, electric scooters, better cheaper public transport.

This is not the fault of any particular age group. Promote a vast scrappage scheme again, to promote hybrids and electrics. Bring the change over date forward 2 years to concentrate some minds.

Promote working from home, promote more localised shops, promote cycling. Reduce the amount of car parking you can have on a planning approval. Make all urban roads that are currently 30mph reduce to 20mph. Traffic calming. Remove car lanes and give way signage. Give pedestrians the automatic right of way, followed by cycles, followed by motor vehicles. Give every street everywhere zebra crossings.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

It was all fields around here before 17 year olds got lessons.

There are too many vehicles. We need less motor vehicles that burn oil and can do 30mph down side streets.

Electric buses, electric taxis, electric scooters, better cheaper public transport.

This is not the fault of any particular age group. Promote a vast scrappage scheme again, to promote hybrids and electrics. Bring the change over date forward 2 years to concentrate some minds.

Promote working from home, promote more localised shops, promote cycling. Reduce the amount of car parking you can have on a planning approval. Make all urban roads that are currently 30mph reduce to 20mph. Traffic calming. Remove car lanes and give way signage. Give pedestrians the automatic right of way, followed by cycles, followed by motor vehicles. Give every street everywhere zebra crossings.

Im not blaming any age group just suggestion this as a option to get less vehicles on the road.

I agree about the electric vehicles but lets be real this is going to take many many years. Who knows if this will be in our lifetime? Also they need to make the cost of electric cars cheaper as they are ridiculously expensive at thw moment.

Working from home would help abit but then remember that involve people using more gas and electricity at home. 

LTNS for me are not the answer- some people are forced to drive like parents. They can't exactly cycle with two kids to drop off at school

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Im not blaming any age group just suggestion this as a option to get less vehicles on the road.

I agree about the electric vehicles but lets be real this is going to take many many years. Who knows if this will be in our lifetime? Also they need to make the cost of electric cars cheaper as they are ridiculously expensive at thw moment.

Working from home would help abit but then remember that involve people using more gas and electricity at home. 

LTNS for me are not the answer- some people are forced to drive like parents. They can't exactly cycle with two kids to drop off at school

Well, I hope it’ll be in my lifetime, because it’s happening in eight and a half years time!

If the schools are too far away to walk or cycle and there’s no school transport, then the school is in the wrong place and that’s what they need to sort, not presume everyone can pavement park their Evoq in the same street twice a day.

We have to get out of the mindset of protecting users of diesel Astras above all else, and in to the mindset of quality of life for local residents.

I’ve lived on a street with a school and THE most inconsiderate drivers in streets with schools are parents dropping off their kids. It’s so easily solved.

My street literally put out roadblocks and bollards and stickered windscreens. The problem has gone away, but the kids still get to school somehow. Weird that. It just needs an extra 4 minutes planning by selfish parents.

20 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Well, I hope it’ll be in my lifetime, because it’s happening in eight and a half years time!

If the schools are too far away to walk or cycle and there’s no school transport, then the school is in the wrong place and that’s what they need to sort, not presume everyone can pavement park their Evoq in the same street twice a day.

We have to get out of the mindset of protecting users of diesel Astras above all else, and in to the mindset of quality of life for local residents.

I’ve lived on a street with a school and THE most inconsiderate drivers in streets with schools are parents dropping off their kids. It’s so easily solved.

My street literally put out roadblocks and bollards and stickered windscreens. The problem has gone away, but the kids still get to school somehow. Weird that. It just needs an extra 4 minutes planning by selfish parents.

Well they say 8 years but don't be suprised if that gets extended.  Cant see it happening in 8 years personally. 

Mate there are so many schools in the wrong place here where there are no bus routes. They are actually building a school here behind a mental health unit for the criminally insane. Work that one out!

I get what your saying about that parebta at schools are the worst, but if the schools actually had drop off points in the achool premises that might not happen.  You get any idiot parking and blocking eveeyone  in that ia annoying.

Maybe you can ask them how they do it? If they have bus routes then great but not every school has that accessible public transport unfortunately 

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Well they say 8 years but don't be suprised if that gets extended.  Cant see it happening in 8 years personally. 

Mate there are so many schools in the wrong place here where there are no bus routes. They are actually building a school here behind a mental health unit for the criminally insane. Work that one out!

I get what your saying about that parebta at schools are the worst, but if the schools actually had drop off points in the achool premises that might not happen.  You get any idiot parking and blocking eveeyone  in that ia annoying.

Maybe you can ask them how they do it? If they have bus routes then great but not every school has that accessible public transport unfortunately 

Do you live near Arkham?

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The school at the end of my street tried asking parents to be more considerate but that doesn’t work. So the locals got a bit more arsey and got very engaged with local councillors and started a bit of direct action by deliberately making it even worse for a while with bad parking and cones. It took less than one school year for the council and the school to act. To paint up no parking zones, put out official sanctioned cones, install pedestrian barriers etc.. It’s not even a half of the problem it once was, but as I said, magically the kids still arrive at school. Just walked there from where they live three or four streets away rather than dropped off by mummy on her way to work or shopping. People had to change their routine slightly, because their old routine was rubbish but they were stuck thinking it was the only viable way of operating.

But let’s spin it around the other way.

What would you do to reduce pollution in residential areas? Or are you suggesting its too hard so we shouldn’t bother?

Maybe I've been very lucky living in south brum re: proximity to schools, but I cant comprehend why anybody in a major urban area (e.g. enfield) would need to drive their kids to school

Even the selective schools have school-only buses round here these days 

But also in a south brum context, when it takes 100 mins to travel 10 miles on a bus in rush hour (pre covid), I can see why people who can drive (I cant) would be reluctant to switch to buses even with LTNs in place. As a couple have said, they're part of the solution but cant be delivered in isolation from major investment in public transport/active mode infrastructure

Edited by slowandlow

Â