Resident Evil Village

dubbs

Getting some good reviews.   If you've played RE7 you'll feel at home pretty quickly with this.  Played in first person perspective.  Running on the RE Engine it looks great on PS5 which utilises is RT capabilities.   

The village is almost a central hub once you've completed the Dimitrescu Castle section.   There are 4 additional areas (i think) once you've beat the first boss.   It takes a lot of inspiration from RE4 which is considered one of the best in the series so that can't be a bad thing.   

Its incredibly dark in some sections which adds to the tension and the audio is great too.

Playthroughs should take 8-10 hours i reckon but it depends who much time you spend exploring. 

Enjoying it a lot so far, and probably one to replay a few times too. 

• Like 2

This does look pretty superb. This might get me back into the main series again. I stopped after resi 4 (apart from the 2 revelations games and the 2/3 remakes). 5/6/7 just didn’t interest me in the slightest. 

Downloaded 7 to give it a go, I love RE (apart from 6,hard to explain how bad that game was) but the new direction does nothing for me if I'm honest so I'm reluctant to play it

Its not what I want from them, I want a follow on to the excellent remakes of 2 and 3, even if I think they'll go for 4 when they should be going for 0 or Veronica seeing as they were both decent games that hardly anyone played so are more in need of a remake than 4

All that said the reviews for 8 are making it hard not to play it at some point 

I liked but didn't love 7, but am intrigued by this. It still doesn't feel like RE to me and would prefer it if they made more in the style of their recent remakes, but there's enough in 7 to like and this seems to be 7 polished and smashed into elements of 4 (which I actually don't like at all). 

Saying that, these tank in price. Give it a couple of months and you'll be getting it for half price at worst.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Downloaded 7 to give it a go, I love RE (apart from 6,hard to explain how bad that game was) but the new direction does nothing for me if I'm honest so I'm reluctant to play it

Its not what I want from them, I want a follow on to the excellent remakes of 2 and 3, even if I think they'll go for 4 when they should be going for 0 or Veronica seeing as they were both decent games that hardly anyone played so are more in need of a remake than 4

All that said the reviews for 8 are making it hard not to play it at some point 

How much of a go did you give 7? It starts slowly but it really does end up being superb.

3 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I liked but didn't love 7, but am intrigued by this. It still doesn't feel like RE to me and would prefer it if they made more in the style of their recent remakes, but there's enough in 7 to like and this seems to be 7 polished and smashed into elements of 4 (which I actually don't like at all). 

Saying that, these tank in price. Give it a couple of months and you'll be getting it for half price at worst.

I picked it up for £44 in Asda- other half gets a discount.   Didn't think that was a bad price at all. 

I am loving this game, it is everything I enjoy about Resident Evil wrapped up into one. 

I think what I enjoy the most is that this game is Resident Evil 4 reimagined. The merchant system, the upgrade system and the treasure system is back. This also means rewarding exploration is back, which is something the series has been missing for so long.

Resident Evil 8 is a perfect balance of horror and action, I'm really enjoying it. 

I'm playing it on PC and performance is solid. I hear the performance is pretty solid on PS5 and Series X too which is great, I'm really liking that we're getting more 4K60 games with ray tracing enabled on the new consoles. 

• Like 1

This is pretty bloody good so far.

It's also the only other ps5 title apart from Demon's Souls that I've thought 'yeah, that's a next gen game.' 

It looks absolutely **** stunning.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 2

Watched a bit Maximilian Doods playthrough and it's pushed this to the extent I'm thinking of picking it up this month. It looks spectacular.

I'm slightly wary though purely because he played it on PC and made use of an FOV mod and changed the vignetting which makes a pretty big difference to the look of it...

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Anything on the ps5 controller or have they ignored it? 

The demo made use of the adaptive triggers, but not in a big way, at least not with the weapons that were in the demo (handgun and shotgun). The triggers might do cooler stuff on the mid/late-game weapons though.

• Thanks 1

Just finished it.   The story is well mad, but really enjoyable too.  There were moments which seemed to be stretched out a bit but it was just a good as I'd hoped having played Re7.  Now,  do I trade it or wait for some DLC?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dubbs said:

Just finished it.   The story is well mad, but really enjoyable too.  There were moments which seemed to be stretched out a bit but it was just a good as I'd hoped having played Re7.  Now,  do I trade it or wait for some DLC?

Having read through the trophy list, it seems a single playthrough doesn't really do it justice.

15 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Having read through the trophy list, it seems a single playthrough doesn't really do it justice.

Yeah there's some on there that you can only get with a second run.  Going to give the mercenaries mode a try too.

• Like 1

Beat this yesterday. Absolutely phenomenal throughout. Bit different than other RE games but different in a good way.  Superb graphics and really like how the plot played out.

Edited by Big Salad
  • Like 3

I really enjoyed this game. 

RE8 is by far the best mainline release since RE4 and may even be better. RE8 is consistent from start to finish, now it does have some slower points, but nothing as bad as the Island in RE4 which is a terrible area that makes additional playthroughs a chore. I am on my third playthrough of RE8 and I still love it. I have done two Hardcore runs and I am half-way through my Village of Shadows playthrough without NG+ upgrades. I am loving every minute of it. 

I fully recommend this game.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Daweii said:

I really enjoyed this game. 

RE8 is by far the best mainline release since RE4 and may even be better. RE8 is consistent from start to finish, now it does have some slower points, but nothing as bad as the Island in RE4 which is a terrible area that makes additional playthroughs a chore. I am on my third playthrough of RE8 and I still love it. I have done two Hardcore runs and I am half-way through my Village of Shadows playthrough without NG+ upgrades. I am loving every minute of it. 

I fully recommend this game.

I'm only on my 1st playthrough and I'm currently working my way through the Castle - but yes, I can see me playing through this a few times.

• Like 2

Â