Favorite Style of Beer  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Style of Beer

• Lager
    • Stout
    • Bitter
    • Ale

I go for nice lagers.

I know that's looked down on by the ale drinkers, but I can't help it. It's just nicer.

I'm not talking Carling or Stella or any of that shit.

I'm talking Amstel, Erdinger, Staropramen that sort of stuff.

Another lager vote here.

Someone got me a pint of Carling on their round at the weekend.  :(

I can't believe anyone drinks Carling/Fosters out of choice. I think it's a combination of habit and laziness, like buying The Sun.

Guiness, real ale, continental beers, even the odd cider in warm weather, red wine. I'm fairly omnibevorous (props to blandy for the terminolgy)

What I won't drink is nitrous gunk like Tetley, Worthington etc

I go for nice lagers.

I know that's looked down on by the ale drinkers, but I can't help it. It's just nicer.

I'm not talking Carling or Stella or any of that shit.

Ditto.  Staropramen is probably my favourite - Czech lager is generally lovely.  Heineken's great, too.

Although as wheat beer (also great), can you really class Erdinger as a lager?

Erdinger don't brew a lager. They only brew wheat beers. If you like the light Erdingers, you'll probably enjoy pale ales too, especially the chilled ones like Rolling Rock.

Mainly a lager drinker but don't mind doing the odd beer festival and drink ale then.. On the rare occasion will go for Guinness, but that's just normally if the lager is tasting crap

To be frank, if a pub can't keep lager, don't touch their Guinness.

• Like 1

you used to be able to get this cheeky little number in tesco, they stopped selling it about 3 years ago now, from lithuania.

Svyturys.JPG

if im going to drink a premium lager, id generally go for one of these

image35-lech-bottle.jpg

baltika_7_inuk.jpg

efes-pilsen_7244.jpg

although if you want to get pissed on the cheap you can buy 8 cans of this stuff for a six quid in my local shop, belgian, 5.2%.

xjpcan.jpg

Edited by Jimzk5

I drank far too much Brains Black last night. It tastes like stout, which is more than I can say for 80% of imported Guinness

a fine choice

when Brains Black isn't available it's Brains Dark for me

sadly, the brewery have just put us on warning The Castle (best beer in town) is going to close

not only the best beer in town, its close to the cheapest, its quiet, and its where I was first spectacularly ill because of drink

I suspect the 'quiet' bit of the description might be why its closing

Erdinger don't brew a lager. They only brew wheat beers. If you like the light Erdingers, you'll probably enjoy pale ales too, especially the chilled ones like Rolling Rock.

You're right, it's not a lager. It's not dissimilar though in taste (to me anyway)

I do like ales. I just prefer lagers generally. Erdinger bridges some sort of gap for me obviously :)

Brains Dark is a hell of a beer too.

Thumbs up for Baltica and Efes on the lager front. Efes is one of my favourites at the moment, as it seems to be one of the few available beers mass imported from Turkey and NOT brewed under license.

If you like Efes, you should try Marmara beer. Much clearer and crisper and a tad stronger tasting.

beer_61390.jpg

I got bored of Efes, although a few of my mates text me saying 'just supping an Efes, it's great/lovely etc..' so people must like it I guess.

Mainly a lager drinker but don't mind doing the odd beer festival and drink ale then.. On the rare occasion will go for Guinness, but that's just normally if the lager is tasting crap

To be frank, if a pub can't keep lager, don't touch their Guinness.

Ah yes, but when your local has one bloke who is particulatly loud in his opinions, and alone spends roughly £50 per day on the black stuff, they actually look after that..

As for lager does anyone actually like Stella? Can't stand the stuff me (even though Stella black is better). For a draft lager Peroni is very high on my list!

You're right, it's not a lager. It's not dissimilar though in taste (to me anyway)

I do like ales. I just prefer lagers generally. Erdinger bridges some sort of gap for me obviously :)

Erdinger Dunkel (which I linked a picture of) is nothing like a lager. I guess you have tried the Weißbier. If you can find the Kristallklar, try that.

Ah yes, but when your local has one bloke who is particulatly loud in his opinions, and alone spends roughly £50 per day on the black stuff, they actually look after that..

10-15 pints per day is probably enough turnover to keep Guinness properly. As long as it's every day...

• Like 1

10-15 pints per day is probably enough turnover to keep Guinness properly. As long as it's every day...

Yep, Guinness being good does usually rely more on being regularly drunk than any licensees trickery and skill, as long as they clean the lines regularly and theres enough customers drinking it then it'll be fine. Guinness Cold is a different story, it will always be shit, its designed to be poured faster and therefore sell more, regardless of it tasting shit (because its cold!)

Â