maqroll

Favorite Style of Beer  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Style of Beer

• Lager
    • Stout
    • Bitter
    • Ale

No sign of that great Midlands tipple, Mild.

It may be an 'old mans' drink, but I grew up on it. Ansells and Banks were much loved.

Nowadays I normally get my mild fix with some obscure guest beer served in Wetherspoons. I also enjoy a pint of bitter and the occasional Guinness.

At home I will drink stuff like Becks, San Miguel and Leffe, but I have never ordered a pint of lager in a pub in my life and don't think I ever would.

• Like 1

I had an Old Rosie the other night, bloody hell what a drink.

I had 6 pints of it in one night. Not that I really remember. Its like drinking petrol, but its cheap.

Haha so true. I only got it just to try something different and then this cloudy monstrosity it passed across the bar, it was almost like drinking a pint of really heavy dry white wine. It was good though. Took an absolute age to drink too.

I like a decent pint of Guinness, but will also drink bitter and on a nice sunny day/after football/at home drink lager as well. Nothing worse though than a bad pint of Guinness - lot's of barstaff don't know how to pour it. I got a real taste for that German weisbeer Erdinger a couple of years ago. Lovely stuff.

Got a real taste for ale at the moment - A nice Oakham ale always goes down a treat.

Tend not to drink pints of lager at the pub, prefer bottles - but quite happy to swig out of a can in the hot weather

Beer Good!

Doesn't matter the type. If it's based on malt, hops, water, and is fermented, I like it.

Though if I had to rank the candidates:

Lager (though generally not American Macro Lager (Miller High Life excepted)... Vienna lagers are tops, IMO)

Ale/bitter

Stout

Bitter, I'm of the opinion that lager is for people who've not yet discovered real beer. There's a reason they serve it ice cold.

I'm of the opinion people who dismiss a whole, interesting genre of drink is for people who haven't discovered real beer.

All lager is, in principle, a beer that has been top fermented, rather than bottom fermented, ie the active yeasts tend to be at the top of the fermentation tanks, and tha the beer is aged in a cool place for a certain amount of time, which is called "Lagering"

Certainly up to about 1800, the clear golden lagers we drink today didn't exist, they were usually rather dark, and not unlike our own english ales. Given that "lager" is such a generic term, a catch all, one needs to bear in mind there are many interesting beers out there, say for example, dark lagers, typically czech in origin, that are lovely to drink. Kolsh lagers from Cologne, usually unpasturised, have fresh spring like gentle flavours.

I say,if you dismiss all lagers due to the gross, mass produced tap water industiral beverages like UK brewed Stella, Carling ect, then lager is a pretty nasty product indeed, but explore the wide variety of bews from round europe and the rest of the world and enjoy in context, sipping modest bottles rather than guzzling pints to get pissed, and see how good lager can really be!

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

is the poll poorly worded?

surely the choices should read:

Stout

Bitter

Mild

IPA

Children's Drinks

having said that, a truly cold bottle of Cisk on a hot day is just dandy

day to day Brit weather drinking is stout, and where possible, Brains Black

Guiness , Stella (bottled) wine , whiskey and cocktails . I love Mojito's ,margheritas and long island's. Actually I will drink anything as I have a very manageable and enjoyable drink problem .

• Like 1

Really like a nice porter with that proper mellow smoky coffee after-taste. That or a Ruby Mild or four from The Beacon Hotel in Sedgley (seriously if you've never been go!). I've got no real problem with lager, other than the fact it seems that the worse it is the more widely available it is.

387124_10151935093155136_1982242062_n_m.

Edited by flamingsombrero

Â