Weekends Football 7/9 May

andykeenan

3 hours ago, est1874 said:

Bit of an obnoxious comment this, to be fair. Of course I'll be annoyed if Arsenal win and finish above us, and based on all remaining fixtures I believe they will, too. I don't know what I'll be doing tomorrow or whether I'll be free to watch the Arsenal game in the evening, it may rest on how I feel about football after seeing our performance earlier in the evening.

Why do you imagine I only care about Leeds? It's a bit odd that you seem to be particularly bothered about what I think of them.

Because you seem a bit vexed about them “proving they’re a better team than us”. It’s quite apparent that some on here measure Villa’s season this year by the metric of Leeds United.

As for reminiscing about top half finishes. As @villa4europe says, people  generally don’t look back wistfully and think “Ah, 9th place, what a good season that was” or alternative “Urgh, 11th...disaster.”

Villa finished 5th in 1996/97. Obviously a good season. I can’t remember a single thing about it. Completely overshadowed by the previous year.

If things go to plan, as we all hope they do, when reminiscing in 30 years time, this season in all likelihood is not really going to register with the vast majority. This season will be remembered for Aston Villa 7-2 Liverpool. That’s pretty much it. 

And where we are now, that’s fine with me.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nineth or higher represents a better season than finishing eleventh, not sure why people are arguing any different. The idea that in ten years time people won't look back and not be bothered whether we finish tenth or eleventh shoudn't have anything to do with it, what on earth does that matter, we're not aiming to make history, we're just aiming to finish as high up the table as possible.

Smith himself has said the target is to finish top half, again we want to acheive that becase doing so is better than finishing the bottom half.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Bit of an obnoxious comment this, to be fair. Of course I'll be annoyed if Arsenal win and finish above us, and based on all remaining fixtures I believe they will, too. I don't know what I'll be doing tomorrow or whether I'll be free to watch the Arsenal game in the evening, it may rest on how I feel about football after seeing our performance earlier in the afternoon.

Why do you imagine I only care about Leeds? It's a bit odd that you seem to be particularly bothered about what I think of them.

Because you’re taking about how much better than us they are despite us having slightly more points per game, and then saying they will finish above us based on because you think so. You’re admiring them winning football matches against Tottenham (without a manager) when we’ve beat Liverpool, Everton, Arsenal twice, Leicester, drawn with Chelsea and uh... beat Leeds.

Youre making the comparison bud. I don’t give a **** about them other than acknowledging they’re doing about as well as we are in the league.

• Like 1

Leeds are just as likely to go and lose their so called easier games that they have coming up, I said that before they played Brighton, which is exactly what happened, so I wouldn't rule us out finishing above them. We can still catch Everton as well.

Ohh, ohh.... Benteke has scored a deflected goal... BRING HIM HOME IMMEDIATELY. Imagine the roar of the Holte when he comes on etc. 

23 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Ohh, ohh.... Benteke has scored a deflected goal... BRING HIM HOME IMMEDIATELY. Imagine the roar of the Holte when he comes on etc. 

Probably his best scoring season since 2017, must've scored 6 or 7 this season.

58 minutes ago, useless said:

Of course finising top half matters, Dean Smith himself said in his interview yesterday that that's our aim. People saying it doesn't matter now, but I'm sure if we manage it they will bring it up often enough in praise of Smith and how far he's brought us, suddenly a top half finish will matter and mean something then.

We're allowed to set targets, it seems some are scared to have any kind of ambition because if it doesn't work out it will somehow reflect badly on the manager.

Not going to lie I’d be bringing up us finishing in 12th place in praise of Smith. The improvement from last season is clear and sticking a 9th or a 12th next to our name doesn’t make me change my mind on the progress we’ve made.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, useless said:

The whole point of competing in the league is to finish as high as possible, if you're going to say that it dosesn't matter if we finish 11th or 9th then when does it stop, going by that logic you might as well say that there's no difference between finishing seventh or seventeenth because you don't win or lose anything in either scenario, would be no point in most teams even taking part in the season.

A top half finish would be symbolic as much as anything else, the last time we managed it was ten years ago, if we don't do it not the end of the world, but something to aim and hope for in the mean time.

I absolutely agree with the 2nd paragraph. 

I'm not in agreement with the first. 9th or 11th is basically the same season. 17th is a very different season in terms of enjoyment and positives for the future. 

17th and 9th technically don't matter, you're still a premier league team, but this season has been a hell of a lot better than the last. 

When people say it doesn't matter if we slip out the top half, it's in relation to this season. 

Finishing 9th or 11th doesn't change the great wins and the shit losses. Its basically the same year, there will be a handful of points difference I'd imagine. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I would genuinely love to see the guy in a villa shirt again. 

47 minutes ago, useless said:

Nineth or higher represents a better season than finishing eleventh, not sure why people are arguing any different. The idea that in ten years time people won't look back and not be bothered whether we finish tenth or eleventh shoudn't have anything to do with it, what on earth does that matter, we're not aiming to make history, we're just aiming to finish as high up the table as possible.

Smith himself has said the target is to finish top half, again we want to acheive that becase doing so is better than finishing the bottom half.

Because if you read back, a poster was saying it’s important to finish in the top half to allow for better memories. The discussion followed on from that. Are people bothered that Villa finished 9th in the Houllier season? Does it bother them that it wasn’t 8th? I would very much doubt it.

And I think it’s fairly obvious that no one is stating that finishing 9th isn’t better than finishing 11th. Some of us are just of the opinion that a difference of two mid table positions is not that crucial to the overall progress of the club at this stage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Because if you read back, a poster was saying it’s important to finish in the top half to allow for better memories. The discussion followed on from that. Are people bothered that Villa finished 9th in the Houllier season? Does it bother them that it wasn’t 8th? I would very much doubt it.

And I think it’s fairly obvious that no one is stating that finishing 9th isn’t better than finishing 11th. Some of us are just of the opinion that a difference of two mid table positions is not that crucial to the overall progress of the club at this stage.

The houllier season is a great example. Look back and you see 9th. Remember the actual season and it was poor, somehow jumping into the top half with 2 wins in the final games. That season isn't massively better because of those two games. 

Likewise, this season doesn't turn into a disaster if we stay 11th.

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 3

A player that isn't Raheem Sterling gets sent off for that. A Sheffield United defender definitely does.

Now personally, I think a yellow card is the right decision, but it's the inconsistency in bot the refereeing and in the VAR that's annoying.

• Like 3

Â