Your worst Aston Villa prediction

KentVillan

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Going back a long away but thinking Peter Withe was be a crap signing and expecting great things of Barry Bannan. 

This gives quite a few clues as to why his career didn't work out as a lot of us hoped. Not entirely his fault. I still really rate him as a player.

• Like 2

Lots of all the above posts. I believed Philippe Coutinho would pick us over Liverpool. I thought Downing would stay. I thought Albrighton leaving for nothing was no loss.

On the positive side I wrote off all British managers as outdated till Dean Smith arrived, so I am happy I was wrong there.

22 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Did he not score in his first game too? 
I remember Sherwood hyping him up, saying he was the best header of a ball he’d ever seen. 

Yes against Bournmouth 

Actually one that I think a lot of people will be reluctant to admit, but I reckon was quite widespread...

For a while I thought Grealish was a bit overrated. Partly because Tactics Tim had championed him. Also partly because so many of our youth prospects before him had flopped. And partly because I thought he was just a good touch, tiny socks, and no end product.

Nowadays it makes me laugh when I hear oppo fans say the same things, but most of us thought it for a while, didn't we.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Carles Gil.

Now, I won’t back track the full 100% here. My memory was that Lambert side was bereft of any creativity and Gil arrived and did show a bit of a spark. He obviously scored a couple of lovely goals and for the briefest of moments it looked like him and Jack could forge a nice creative double act.

But blimey, looking back I put just a bit too much emphasis on how good he was or could be. Him plying his trade in the MLS has put paid to any loftier visions of success I had for him. 

One of those ones where I just really, really wanted him to be the answer and because there were one or two moments of magic that was enough for me cling onto that hope like Linus and his security blanket.

Not saying it was you but I saw somebody at the time either on here or Twitter call him a mix between Messi and David Silva 😂😂

Was people at the time insisting he was the more talented out of him and Jack

• Haha 1

I thought Danny Earls would go on to become a Villa legend.

He's ended up with a strange career, he's a Colorado Rapids legend, fondly remembered at the Rochester Rhinos, met President Obama and now draws Batman.

This is a good read:

https://irlfootball.com/2020/05/04/from-villain-to-superhero-danny-earls-american-dream/

From Villain to Superhero – Danny Earl’s American Dream

• Like 2

Based on opposition probably already thinking we were in league cup final 2013 when we drew Bradford. We'd actually had a decent run at that point beating Man. City and Norwich in previous rounds so no reason to suspect it was going to be a major issue and draw was made just before 8-0 Chelsea so we were o.k form in the league at that time aswell. Oh dear.

I also got sucked in due to the optimism on here and elsewhere that we'd turn over Arsenal in the FA cup final or at worst give them a very good game so learnt that lesson!

As regards players I thought Steven Ireland would be a brilliant replacement for Milner....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gwi1890 said:

Thinking Rudy Gestede was the perfect replacement for Benteke, having huge expectations the beginning of season we got relegated thinking we recruited well , maybe  we did but we sure as hell couldn’t get the best out of them.

We signed some good players that summer (not Gestede) The years since have shown that. But club was a mess at that point off the field and Sherwood started sulking when the results quickly turned and he didn't geti n tried and tested prem players.

I still think we could've been o.k if we'd spent some of that money on a proven european striker, 15-20m would've probably been enough in 2015 times but instead we padded team out with loads of midfielders and defenders.

Just hope we learn that lesson if the Grealish leaving day arrives, hopefully not for many years.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

As regards players I thought Steven Ireland would be a brilliant replacement for Milner....

My journey with him and Nzogbia followed a similar trajectory curve. :( 

I so wanted them to work out.

• Like 1

N'zogiba had a hard act to follow with Young in fairness. He did hit some really good form for Wigan just before we signed him and played some decent games in 12/13 run in but yeah that's the flip side, reasonably proven prem player who flopped so no guarentee it will work out if we sign one of them in next 12 months.

With Ireland we still had that workmanlike ability about us under MON and I really thought he'd be the finishing touch player we needed, someone who'd be like a Merson for us slipping throughballs in for Gabby and linking up with Young and Downing with Petrov and NRC behind him. Instead McDonald for some reason put him in the middle two for first few games and then Houllier wasn't having him at all. Briefly re-emerged the next season under McLeish but it was all past working at that stage.

Think we all have a youth player who got bigged up to the max and did little, I thought after the way he broke through in 12/13 Weimann would be an excellent prem wide striker for years like you see for most of the top teams but he stagnated even under Lambert and has been playing in championship for last 6 seasons now.

If this thread dosen't get Sir Gary Cahill out of posting retirement nothing will.😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Not saying it was you but I saw somebody at the time either on here or Twitter call him a mix between Messi and David Silva 😂😂

Was people at the time insisting he was the more talented out of him and Jack

I don’t think it was me regarding your first sentence (I say with a highly cautious optimism :unsure:).

However, your second sentence...that is definitely ringing a bell with me and what I may have said/believed. 

First major letdown was thinking that the signing of Tony Cascarino was the final piece in the jigsaw for Graham Taylor and us winning the league. He’ll be better for us than his other strike partner, Teddy Sheringham that’s for sure and we’re going to win the league! He wasn’t and we didn’t!!

Following the above disappointment and following season we were 2-0 ahead after the first leg against Inter Milan (what a game) and going into the second leg at the San Siro thinking we could actually win the UEFA Cup. Could we win a cup? Unfortunately, we lost the second leg 0-3 and we finished 17th in the league.

Following Big Ron arriving and again thinking we were going to win the league. What a team he built and we did win the League Cup during his leadership but ultimately we fell short of winning the league title and I really thought we would.

The player ‘Juninho’ is actually signing for us saga. What a signing that would be. He visits us and Middlesbrough are also interested in signing him but he’ll sign of us after seeing Villa Park talking to Doug surely? I don’t need to go on.

Stan Collymore. What an inspired and exciting signing I thought at the time. He’ll love it here, score bucket loads and we’ll adore him. 

Most recently, losing our Premier League status.  We’re Aston Villa, so we won’t go down I thought, as there will always be 3 worse teams than us! 

Probably loads of others I’ve forgotten of but those are some of the stand out for me.

Oh that reminds me, where’s the bloody theme park that I bragged about at work? :rant:

Edited by ferguson1

When we signed him from Liverpool I thought Stan Collymore was going to be Villa's equivalent of Ronaldo (who had just torn the Spanish league apart for Barca). I genuinely believed he could be one of the best players in the world.

Probably the most positive thing you can say about his career from that point on was that he advocated for mental health awareness and "starred" in Basis Instinct 2. Obviously there are more than a few negatives in there too.

He pretty much single handedly destroyed my youthful innocence and showed me that the world is indeed a dark and cruel place.

Lesson learned - be careful when you choose as your childhood your heroes. Unless you pick Geiff Capes, who I met at Butlins when I was 8 and is an absolute legend.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Thought Tony Xia would achieve everything he said he would🙄

Yes me to lol, I thought he was a genius, he’s probably the worst owner we ever had and we’ve had some bad ones

• Like 1

Juninho would have been collymore mk2, had his best seasons before we tried to sign him and wasnt the same player when he went back to boro

Was convinced we would win the league in 98/99 but collapsed after Ugo's injury.  Was also convinced when we went top in 01/02 in oct/nov but that was daft on reflection 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Yes me to lol, I thought he was a genius, he’s probably the worst owner we ever had and we’ve had some bad ones

The early days of Xia were super exciting though after the last days of Lerner but between them they almost killed us, thank God for NWSE.

• Like 1

Â