Your worst Aston Villa prediction

KentVillan

Own up. What’s the wrongest thing you’ve said will happen at this club?

I’ve a few:

• Fully backing Dwight Yorke to stay out of loyalty to the club (I was young and naive)
  • Thinking we’d win the league under John Gregory (see above)
  • Backing Milner to stay because MON was shaping him into one of the best CAMs in England and he wouldn’t want to be a bench warmer at City
  • Expecting RDM to walk the Championship in his first season
  • Being impressed by Samatta, and thinking he was the answer to our goal drought last season. I saw it as a turning point in our season.

Samatta is probably the worst in hindsight. The others were heart over head, but that was just silly.

• Like 4

Feeling confident every time we play Man U whilst they're on a shit streak.

Seeing Carlton Cole boss Southampton in one of his first games and think he'd score a bucket load. 

Reo-Coker would be a great signing.

Thinking Gary Cahill would become a Villa legend.

'Knowing' that we would beat Bradford over two-legs in the semi-final.

• Like 1

Ah man, too many to say.

I don’t think I ever said it on here, but I remember saying to my Villa supporting mate around the start or preseason of 2017/18 that I couldn’t see how Grealish fits into the line up, even following recovery from that injury he got. At the time Andre Green was looking quite useful, Bruce had not long bought Lansbury and Hourihane, Whelan had just been brought in, Adomah was on the other side...it didn’t seem obvious where Jack could feature.

This is probably the one VT though. Kinda Villa related. Here’s the quote, on the notion of bringing Gareth Barry back. 

On 14/02/2018 at 13:23, Mark Albrighton said:

He’s younger than JT and I think people would be happy if he was still here next season.

I’m not thinking Barry would start every week, just a bit of experience we could turn to if required. I would imagine he’d be a good example to others.

This comment was based on around 15 years of being Mr Dependable, having a genuinely respectable career, plaudits from fellow professionals, managers, pundits alike. An all round top pro.

He waits for me to go on record that I think he’d be a good example to others and then on 16th February 2018 (LITERALLY TWO ****ING DAYS LATER) he goes and does this -

West Brom players Gareth Barry, Jonny Evans, Jake Livermore and Boaz Myhill have apologised - after a taxi was stolen from outside a fast-food restaurant in Barcelona on Thursday.

You’re driving me mad, Gareth!!!

The board have yet to get in touch me for  any further advice on recruitment.

• Haha 4

Carlos Sanchez was a bargain

Ciaran Clark could be our Rio Ferdinand :D 

Paul Lambert was a good managerial choice to bring the fun back to Villa Park

Jean Makoun and Michael Bradley would be a brilliant midfield partnership

Charles Nzogbia is a decent replacement for Ashley Young

• Like 1

We would go bankrupt, shot to shit, being nothing more than a memory to history, eventually being forgotten because the future has arrived along long after were all dead and Rolla ball is now born.

I was convinced Milner would rot on City's bench and ruin his career when he left.

I thought we were gonna push for the title after winning the first 4 games this season and then again after we beat Arsenal 3-0 away. (my worst?)

I thought we would walk the Championship the first season and bounce straight back up as champions with RDM.

I remember being really excited when we signed Robert Pires thinking he was gonna be class for us like Paul Merson 😂

• Like 1

Summer 2006. My old school pal and Villa fan was restaurant manager at Hoar Cross Hall in Staffordshire where Jermaine Defoe was a guest. He asked the question, then called me to say Defoe was B6 bound. The rest is (VT) history. 

• Shocked 1

Thinking Rudy Gestede was the perfect replacement for Benteke, having huge expectations the beginning of season we got relegated thinking we recruited well , maybe  we did but we sure as hell couldn’t get the best out of them.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Carlos Sanchez was a bargain

Ciaran Clark could be our Rio Ferdinand :D 

Paul Lambert was a good managerial choice to bring the fun back to Villa Park

Jean Makoun and Michael Bradley would be a brilliant midfield partnership

Charles Nzogbia is a decent replacement for Ashley Young

Paul Lambert is mine as well actually. I saw the job he’d done at Norwich, and how cohesive they looked even without possessing great talent, and I thought that he’d be a great fit at Villa.

Also I thought when Benteke left us he’d develop into one of the best strikers on the continent. Bench at Crystal Palace :( 

Edited by HKP90

9 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Thinking Rudy Gestede was the perfect replacement for Benteke, having huge expectations the beginning of season we got relegated thinking we recruited well , maybe  we did but we sure as hell couldn’t get the best out of them.

Did he not score in his first game too? 
I remember Sherwood hyping him up, saying he was the best header of a ball he’d ever seen. 

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Honestly believed after signing ayew, gueye, amavi, traore etc we would challenge for europe...

Veretout as well. Thought we would be top half, even challenging for Europe.

Actually there's a few replies here that have reminded me of other personal clangers.

I really rated Lambert for a long time. 😳

Also thought Benteke would be the new Drogba when he left us and dominate European football. Multiple Champions Leagues. 😳

Â