Midweek Football 3/7 May

andykeenan

1 minute ago, osmark86 said:

Utd and Liverpool fans are the worst agreed

some of the crap I read on Sunday when the cgame was postponed, was 2 fanbases trying to out do each other on who the better fans were. Neither were from Liverpool or Manchester, fair enough I am not from Birmingham but I have been to VP at least and I dont support Villa for the glory

I don't care who's fans are the worst, I don't want City winning it as that's one thing we have over them and I would like to keep the number of English clubs that have won the European Cup as low as possible, also always puzzles me how they get away with being much less hated than the others given their owners. Don't really want Chelsea winning it a second time either, but that would be better than Man City winning it.

• Like 3

so why can the final not be played at wembley? anyone else think it's really bizarre to make a load of people travel from the UK to turkey, needing to quarantine upon return etc?

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

so why can the final not be played at wembley? anyone else think it's really bizarre to make a load of people travel from the UK to turkey, needing to quarantine upon return etc?

It’s a good point. Especially as they were saying fans might be allowed to watch it. Switch it to Wembley, or other stadium in England (maybe Villa Park as central?). 

Just now, Genie said:

It’s a good point. Especially as they were saying fans might be allowed to watch it. Switch it to Wembley, or other stadium in England (maybe Villa Park as central?). 

it's not like there are going to be a load of sponsors etc there that the hosting FA would lose money on them not being there.

wembley is due to host the final in 2024 anyway, just make it a few years early

Just now, LondonLax said:

It’s remarkable that Madrid side got this far in the competition. They are a spent force but don’t have the money to rebuild.

Its one of the worst Madrid teams going, they should have been knocked out in the group stage but somehow got through. The best players are Benzema, Kroos, Modric, Ramos and Courtois who are all 30 or over except Courtois. He will probably get sacked if they dont win the league but Zidane has done a fine job

1 minute ago, Swerbs said:

Chelsea will shithouse a 1-0 win in the final and I'm all for it.

Tammy Abraham winner by shooting the ball against his other leg and deflects in :) 

15 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Possibly and yet the Premier League is poor/shit according to lots on here. 

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

Its a bit of an enigma

Largely the PL is so entertaining because anyone can beat anyone but at the same time it's usually a case of anyone can beat anyone because the top teams are still capable of switching off and producing moments of poor quality ( *cough* John Stones) and they're prone to dropping off mentally, there are a lot of top teams and top players who do turn up too often but by and large the poor quality makes it a better more entertaining league, its a leveller, there are some very good PL teams who are capable of playing very poorly, which I think happens less to the best teams in other leagues (apart from this season where they've all gone to shit bar bayern) 

That said Liverpool and City in the last few years have really taken it up a level at the top

But that comes at the cost of the bottom of the league being really poor, this year in particular its garbage down there 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

it's not like there are going to be a load of sponsors etc there that the hosting FA would lose money on them not being there.

wembley is due to host the final in 2024 anyway, just make it a few years early

It’ll be nothing like capacity so a smaller 40-50k stadium with 10-15k fans inside might create a bit of atmosphere.

I would think Turkey might be happy to give up the final in these circumstances.

45 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Its a bit of an enigma

Largely the PL is so entertaining because anyone can beat anyone but at the same time it's usually a case of anyone can beat anyone because the top teams are still capable of switching off and producing moments of poor quality ( *cough* John Stones) and they're prone to dropping off mentally, there are a lot of top teams and top players who do turn up too often but by and large the poor quality makes it a better more entertaining league, its a leveller, there are some very good PL teams who are capable of playing very poorly, which I think happens less to the best teams in other leagues (apart from this season where they've all gone to shit bar bayern) 

That said Liverpool and City in the last few years have really taken it up a level at the top

But that comes at the cost of the bottom of the league being really poor, this year in particular its garbage down there 

I don’t think it is. 

The bottom teams are poor compared with the rest of the Premier League of course but the money they get from the tv deals means they can afford much better squads than ever before. Someone posted that graph the other day  showing the bottom Premier League team earns more than all other clubs in Europe except for the big 3 in Spain.

It’s telling that the gap to the championship has grown noticeably. The same teams that are relegated just come back up next year because the quality is just so much higher.

I think if there was a European competition containing the three relegated teams from top leagues around Europe the Premier League world likely dominate that one as well. 

5 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I don’t think it is. 

The bottom teams are poor compared with the rest of the Premier League of course but the money they get from the tv deals means they can afford much better squads than ever before. Someone posted that graph the other day  showing the bottom Premier League team earns more than all other clubs in Europe except for the big 3 in Spain.

It’s telling that the gap to the championship has grown noticeably. The same teams that are relegated just come back up next year because the quality is just so much higher.

I think if there was a European competition containing the three relegated teams from top leagues around Europe the Premier League world likely dominate that one as well. 

Now that Watford have been promoted again, I expect the top players like De Paul and Deulefeu from Udinese who are mid-table in Italy again to join Watford as the owners know where the money is

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

In the late 70s to the mid 80s English teams dominated European football and then we had the exile because of Liverpool fans. Its beginning to happen again 

In the last 10 years England have won 5 European  trophies well 6 if include this Champions League final (Chelsea have won 3 of the 5 and in the final again). Spain have won 11  trophies in that time

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

In the last 10 years England have won 5 European  trophies well 6 if include this Champions League final (Chelsea have won 3 of the 5 and in the final again). Spain have won 11  trophies in that time

Yes but things over the past three seasons 2 winners and 4 finalists in the champions league alone. Times are changing. 

Â