Midweek Football 3/7 May

andykeenan

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes but things over the past three seasons 2 winners and 4 finalists in the champions league alone. Times are changing. 

last 3 seasons Spain still won more European trophies

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

last 3 seasons Spain still won more European trophies

Can you see them winning many more in the next couple of seasons? Never known it so weak 

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Can you see them winning many more in the next couple of seasons? Never known it so weak 

Villarreal are still in Europe so maybe have a chance

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Villarreal are still in Europe so maybe have a chance

Even if they reach the final which I don't think they will Man U will have too much for them 

2 hours ago, KAZZAM said:

Possibly and yet the Premier League is poor/shit according to lots on here. 

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

Strength of the Premier League is not based on the Champions League though. Last season semi finals was 2 from France and 2 from Germany nobody said they were superior leagues

Europa League is the best way to judge a league considering its not usually the money teams involved though United are in semi finals this year

As an American it's really weird seeing an American player do this in consecutive CL semifinals vs Real Madrid. His persona is a bit bland, but he's pretty **** good!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Strength of the Premier League is not based on the Champions League though. Last season semi finals was 2 from France and 2 from Germany nobody said they were superior leagues

Europa League is the best way to judge a league considering its not usually the money teams involved though United are in semi finals this year

But people have said the top 6 are poor this season hence the Premier league is poor. But if they are dominating Europe that's obviously not true and in reality the other teams in the Premier league are just stronger. And thus either argument means the Premier league is definitely not a poor league and is infact by far the strongest league. The Messi vs Ronaldo era is over the premier league is only going to rise and rise. 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

It's not sustained success from those leagues though.  PSG were the first team from the French league to reach the final of the big cup since Monaco in 2004, and the first actual French team to do it since Marseilles bribed their way there in 1992.   No team from Germany which isn't called Bayern Munich has won a European trophy since they did the UEFA/CL double in 1996/97.   The Premier League has a demonstrable financial advantage over the rest of Europe and has now provided 5 of the last 8 finalists of the Champions League and if Arsenal win tomorrow then it's the second time in three seasons that both European trophies have had all English finals, and it's not the same club doing it over and over either.  I get why other leagues are shitting themselves even if it's pretty obvious Spain, Germany and to a lesser extent France and Italy will still produce sides capable of winning the major honours.  

The financial gulf between the PL and everyone else is only going to get worse so English teams should dominate in the coming years as Covid has killed football economy. I know we are benefiting from it but I find it kinda sad that a newly promoted side i the PL can outspend almost all sides that qualify for the CL from other leagues.

In other news it would be fun if Tuchel wins the CL with Chelsea after being sacked by PSG earlier in the season :D 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KAZZAM said:

But people have said the top 6 are poor this season hence the Premier league is poor. But if they are dominating Europe that's obviously not true and in reality the other teams in the Premier league are just stronger. And thus either argument means the Premier league is definitely not a poor league and is infact by far the strongest league. The Messi vs Ronaldo era is over the premier league is only going to rise and rise. 

Well City have won the title woth ease and United are comfortably 2nd but were still knocked out in the group stage and Chelsea have been probably the form team since sacking there version of Sherwood. Thats only 50 percent of them. 

The other 3 of the scummy 6 have been mainly poor this season though Arsenal have done well in Europe. In terms of the league itself Leicester were knocked out of Europe by Slavia, Spurs by Dinamo Zagreb hardly major teams. Be interesting how West Ham get on in Europe 

17 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Well City have won the title woth ease and United are comfortably 2nd but were still knocked out in the group stage and Chelsea have been probably the form team since sacking there version of Sherwood. Thats only 50 percent of them. 

The other 3 of the scummy 6 have been mainly poor this season though Arsenal have done well in Europe. In terms of the league itself Leicester were knocked out of Europe by Slavia, Spurs by Dinamo Zagreb hardly major teams. Be interesting how West Ham get on in Europe 

No we’re obviously not at the point where every Premier League team will alway win when playing a European team but there is a dominance emerging from the Premier League and it’s not surprising with the money involved. 

8 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I don’t think it is. 

The bottom teams are poor compared with the rest of the Premier League of course but the money they get from the tv deals means they can afford much better squads than ever before. Someone posted that graph the other day  showing the bottom Premier League team earns more than all other clubs in Europe except for the big 3 in Spain.

It’s telling that the gap to the championship has grown noticeably. The same teams that are relegated just come back up next year because the quality is just so much higher.

I think if there was a European competition containing the three relegated teams from top leagues around Europe the Premier League world likely dominate that one as well. 

Dont disagree

But at the same time take the example from last year of newly promoted Norwich, who obviously went down, they beat Man City that year

That says more about Man City than it does about Norwich 

In a normal non corona season where the usual suspects dominate, bayern, juve, psg etc don't lose that game 

This season man City drew 1-1 at home with West brom, that's not because West brom are good... Its because man City have switched off mentally 

English clubs are far more capable of taking a day off than the mega clubs of Europe have been apart from this season, look at the whole EL nonsense about struggling on the Sunday after a Thursday game, that's an English thing, sevilla etc don't suffer from it it's all in the head 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Dont disagree

But at the same time take the example from last year of newly promoted Norwich, who obviously went down, they beat Man City that year

That says more about Man City than it does about Norwich 

In a normal non corona season where the usual suspects dominate, bayern, juve, psg etc don't lose that game 

This season man City drew 1-1 at home with West brom, that's not because West brom are good... Its because man City have switched off mentally 

English clubs are far more capable of taking a day off than the mega clubs of Europe have been apart from this season, look at the whole EL nonsense about struggling on the Sunday after a Thursday game, that's an English thing, sevilla etc don't suffer from it it's all in the head 

No I think it is because West Brom and Norwich are better than their equivalent teams that Bayern Juve PSG play against not because Man City are worse than their equivalent teams. 

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

No I think it is because West Brom and Norwich are better than their equivalent teams that Bayern Juve PSG play against not because Man City are worse than their equivalent teams. 

I think both are true... 

The teams at the bottom are better, the teams at the top are worse

But like I said I think it's a mental thing more than a footballing ability thing hence why in the CL the teams can do well

Happy to be proven wrong but I don't think any of Europe's top teams have produced Liverpools season from this year or when Leicester won the league the drop off from the big boys that kind of thing doesn't happen in the other top european leagues

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

Nobody cared about the Europa in England because of the lack of money until they gave the winners a CL spot. 

According to talksport (so usual disclaimers apply) UEFA considering switching the CL final to Wembley as it’s 2 English sides, plus Istanbul currently locked down.

Â