Stand up vacuum

Follyfoot

7 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

I'd recommend buying a Henry and spending the remaining ~£300 on something more fun than a vacuum.

If only it was so simple. Done the whole Henry thing (my eldest when he was a toddler hollowed one out and used to be pulled around the house and garden in it, yen ye he called it) 

Bottom line is her mate has got one of these sticks and a standard normal hoover ain’t going to cut the mustard and if I get this right she will leave me alone to watch action films for the rest of the day

If it's an 'outdo her mate' situation (although again, if you ask me the stick ones are just a vastly overpriced gimmick) then for the money you're looking to spend you could at least plump for a Miele

Don't get a Dyson, sure as shit don't get a Shark; get a Miele.

Edited by GarethRDR
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bob Funkhouse said:

By 'one of these sticks'  i'm assuming you mean a cordless one?

My girlfriend's mum has got a dyson v10 and it's great.  It's got the kind of suction that, for my own health, i'm glad just didn't exist when i was a teenager. They're about £400 new.

I bought a refurbed v6 years ago from dyson on ebay and it's fine but just ain't the same though is a fraction of the price.

I did see the other day that dyson are selling refurbed v10s on ebay for £320. Think they only come with a year instead of 2 years warranty though.

I heard the shark ones had good reviews but reading into the user reviews put me off.

Cheers Bob, V10 it is by the looks 👍

Just now, GarethRDR said:

If it's an 'outdo her mate' situation (although again, if you ask me the stick ones are just a vastly overpriced gimmick) then for the money you're looking to spend you could at least plump for a Miele

Dont get a Dyson, sure as shit don't get a Shark; get a Miele.

Cheers, will have a nosey 👍

We have a vax corded vacuum, it pulls up a frightening amount of dust and dog hairs every time I use it. Was only about £50. 
I couldn’t be doing with a cordless one, looks like a solution to a problem that doesn’t really exist.

15 hours ago, Genie said:

I couldn’t be doing with a cordless one, looks like a solution to a problem that doesn’t really exist.

Unless that problem is "I want to pretend I'm carrying a grenade launcher while moving from room to room". I'm thinking of getting one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Unless that problem is "I want to pretend I'm carrying a grenade launcher while moving from room to room". I'm thinking of getting one.

Well now you've given me pause for thought.

I've got a Dyson v7 (I think)

It's brilliant, and the convenience of not having a cord is great, but what I would say is the battery life is really short. If you're doing a room or two at a time then it's no bother. But if you want to hoover your whole house you won't be able to do it in one go. 

I can't even get half my flat done on one charge, and it's only 4 rooms (and two bathrooms)

Maybe mine's just gone a bit shit, but might be worth looking into ones with better battery life. 

58 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's brilliant, and the convenience of not having a cord is great, but what I would say is the battery life is really short. If you're doing a room or two at a time then it's no bother. But if you want to hoover your whole house you won't be able to do it in one go. 

I know you've said it might be because yours is a bit old and degraded, but this has blown my mind.

These things are completely DoA for me, I can't imagine wanting to run the vacuum round before someone comes over and not being able to because it's run out of battery. Or replacing a vacuum within a few years because the battery has degraded. For the sake of not having to switch plug socket every couple of rooms? My vacuum's cable is probably about 10m long. This is style over substance IMO.

Dyson do some good stuff I can justify spending the extra brand premium on. I'm currently very tempted by one of their extortionate fans, for example. but for me, these cordless vacuums have drawbacks that are bigger than the problem they're trying to solve.

• Like 2

Battery life on my Bosch went to shit after about a year. I can’t make it round the whole (quite small) house in one go and if it gets caught on a rug it just gives up and wrongly thinks there’s no power left, then I have to go back and plug it in before it will turn back on.

That said, I do like the convenience of cordless, so I’ll be looking into the Miele recommendation. Not buying anything from that Brexit rocket polisher.

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I know you've said it might be because yours is a bit old and degraded, but this has blown my mind.

These things are completely DoA for me, I can't imagine wanting to run the vacuum round before someone comes over and not being able to because it's run out of battery. Or replacing a vacuum within a few years because the battery has degraded. For the sake of not having to switch plug socket every couple of rooms? My vacuum's cable is probably about 10m long. This is style over substance IMO.

Dyson do some good stuff I can justify spending the extra brand premium on. I'm currently very tempted by one of their extortionate fans, for example. but for me, these cordless vacuums have drawbacks that are bigger than the problem they're trying to solve.

YEah it's annoying. I do think the better models have longer batteries. 

The convenience is excellent. It's not just a gimmick. I can probably grab this off the wall and whizz it round my lounge and kitchen in the same time it would have taken me to get my old one out of the cupboard, unravel the wire and plug it in.

But battery life is definitely an issue. Again maybe mine is just a bit shit. I did have a fault with my first battery (which to be fair to them they were excellent about. Sent me a replacement with no questions asked and it was here the next day) so maybe I got a dud. Who knows.

It's fine for my flat but if/when I get a house I'd probably need to change it

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

So what was the end result @Follyfoot?  Don't leave us hanging now.

I gave her the choice of the V10 or the Milie, she chose the V10 because she’d heard of that. She say’s it don’t half get a load more dust up than the last one and she likes the emptying mechanism. 

Also thanks for everybody who took the time to respond

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

Â