In Car Technology

dubbs

I'm looking for a device which is similar to Amazon Auto but uses Google Assistant instead.   I've found that the microphone on my phone doesn't reliably pick up the "OK Google" activation when driving, so thought there must be a device which will work but I'm struggling to find anything.  Have any of you guys got any suggestions?

16 minutes ago, dubbs said:

I'm looking for a device which is similar to Amazon Auto but uses Google Assistant instead.   I've found that the microphone on my phone doesn't reliably pick up the "OK Google" activation when driving, so thought there must be a device which will work but I'm struggling to find anything.  Have any of you guys got any suggestions?

Does it pick up "OK google" when connected to the car's Bluetooth?

14 minutes ago, limpid said:

Does it pick up "OK google" when connected to the car's Bluetooth?

It does sporadically yes. Then again sometimes it'll hear it the first time you say it then not for any additional commands.  

2 minutes ago, dubbs said:

It does sporadically yes. Then again sometimes it'll hear it the first time you say it then not for any additional commands.  

I suspect there is something wrong with the bluetooth kit. My phone can sometimes ear me say "ok google" when it's in my jeans pocket :mrgreen:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, limpid said:

I suspect there is something wrong with the bluetooth kit. My phone can sometimes ear me say "ok google" when it's in my jeans pocket :mrgreen:

I'm suspecting it's to do with background noise such as music or road noise because of its quiet it'll pick it up more times than not.  Its a pity the cars microphone isn't used for the command detection instead just the phone. 

29 minutes ago, dubbs said:

I'm suspecting it's to do with background noise such as music or road noise because of its quiet it'll pick it up more times than not.  Its a pity the cars microphone isn't used for the command detection instead just the phone. 

There are cars that do - but I gusss those are already running Android Auto. Do you have the phone in a bracket?

40 minutes ago, limpid said:

There are cars that do - but I gusss those are already running Android Auto. Do you have the phone in a bracket?

Its held onto the air vent using a magnet so technically it is. 

Edited by dubbs

1 minute ago, dubbs said:

Its held onto the air vent using a magnet so to ask purposes yes it is. 

Yes, that should be fine. I suppose the microphone in the phone might be playing up, but you'd probably notice that in other ways.

35 minutes ago, limpid said:

Yes, that should be fine. I suppose the microphone in the phone might be playing up, but you'd probably notice that in other ways.

True and I've not had anyone say they struggle to hear me.

Spotify are currently doing some sort of in car gadget for free if you have a premium spotify account.

I have no idea if it's for Spotify only or whether it works with other things on your phone but might be worth a look, especially as it's free

Info here

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Spotify are currently doing some sort of in car gadget for free if you have a premium spotify account.

I have no idea if it's for Spotify only or whether it works with other things on your phone but might be worth a look, especially as it's free

Info here

I'd seen that but it's US only at the moment I think.  Lord knows when it'll arrive in the UK.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I ended up buying the Amazon Auto as I just couldn't get Google Assistant to reliability pick up my voice. The new device works great, even hearing my voice over loud music and noise from the A/C.  Only issue i have is the Alexa app absolutely kills my battery cuz it continually runs in the background whilst connected to the device.  I know I can just plug the phone in and charge it but surely this isn't good when it's already near fully charged? I've set up a macro which kills the app once I've disconnected from the car. 

Anyone else had similar battery issues?

On 25/07/2021 at 10:33, dubbs said:

I ended up buying the Amazon Auto as I just couldn't get Google Assistant to reliability pick up my voice. The new device works great, even hearing my voice over loud music and noise from the A/C.  Only issue i have is the Alexa app absolutely kills my battery cuz it continually runs in the background whilst connected to the device.  I know I can just plug the phone in and charge it but surely this isn't good when it's already near fully charged? I've set up a macro which kills the app once I've disconnected from the car. 

Anyone else had similar battery issues?

You should always charge whenever you are near a charger, but that's OT in this thread.

• Thanks 1

Â