2021/22 expectations

Jareth

Today has actually made me slightly more confident. Thought we'd be completely outplayed but it was the opposite for large parts of the game. Result massively flatters Chelsea and in truth we looked like pre-Covid Villa from last season.

• Like 3

Just now, Mantis said:

Today has actually made me slightly more confident. Thought we'd be completely outplayed but it was the opposite for large parts of the game. Result massively flatters Chelsea and in truth we looked like pre-Covid Villa from last season.

Yes agree.  If we can play like that against mid-table and lower opponents, we will do well. Plus still have at least 4 first teamers to come back.

Expectation now - 9th.

I think we will finish the season very strongly, as Ings, Watkins, Bailey, Buendia etc start to develop an understanding.

First half of season will be frustrating.

I reckon we’ll be around 11-13th around Christmas and then push on to 8th or 9th. But still early days. Bit worried these international qualifiers will keep disrupting things with Martinez.

• Like 1

This will not be a season of progress. I believe our owners saw that, and didn't commit more funds until they've seen how we do without Jack.

A mini-rebuild just ahead of a season. It'll take us months to gel. 

This is a season of consolidation and finding ourselves again.

12th - 17th.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AVTuco said:

This will not be a season of progress. I believe our owners saw that, and didn't commit more funds until they've seen how we do without Jack.

A mini-rebuild just ahead of a season. It'll take us months to gel. 

This is a season of consolidation and finding ourselves again.

12th - 17th.

All good players signed - but moulding them into a team looks a way off imo.

8 hours ago, hippo said:

Some will be good, some possibly won't. That's how it usually goes. Spending 30 mill on someone ups the odds, but gives no guarantees. I'll be happy if we consolidate our place in the division. Europe is a pipe dream.

9 hours ago, hippo said:

Of course it's way off, since last season ended we've literally had one thing after another making our task even tougher. I saw enough for 50 minutes Saturday, with us far from full strength and being up against the best team in Europe and a bent referee for us to feel confident about us moving forward again.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

Of course it's way off, since last season ended we've literally had one thing after another making our task even tougher. I saw enough for 50 minutes Saturday, with us far from full strength and being up against the best team in Europe and a bent referee for us to feel confident about us moving forward again.

Agreed - but the point I was making - was right now look a distance from being as good as last season. 

Bottom line Saturday was we couldn't score and couldn't defend - albeit against one of the best teams in Europe. But we have Everton saturday  - we have to win - hard luck stories and excuses won't cut it. 

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

Agreed - but the point I was making - was right now look a distance from being as good as last season. 

Bottom line Saturday was we couldn't score and couldn't defend - albeit against one of the best teams in Europe. But we have Everton saturday  - we have to win - hard luck stories and excuses won't cut it. 

Yes, hard luck stories and excuses are for us, the club do not even entertain such notions, its still early but we could definitely do with 3points this weekend, keeps us around the middle with room for improvement. I'm optimistic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I was quietly confident of a top ten finish (perhaps eighth).

But now I'm not so confident, international breaks might scupper us in the sense we might find a bit of momentum difficult to find.

Shame as on paper we look to be a top eight team.

Depends on what you mean on paper - does that assume everyone fit , available, and in form, and the manager getting the team selections right every week - If so then yes.

But factoring in, form injuries, etc - We don't look anywhere near top 8 imo.

2 minutes ago, ender4 said:

3 points behind Everton in 6th.  

Spurs, Everton & West Ham looking beatable this season.

Europe is looking like a possibility if we can start getting some consistently in our team.

Can all look different next week unless we get something at old Trafford 

6 minutes ago, ender4 said:

3 points behind Everton in 6th.  

Spurs, Everton & West Ham looking beatable this season.

Europe is looking like a possibility if we can start getting some consistently in our team.

Distant possibility. We look like a midtable team tbh. 

I wouldn't read too much into beating depleted Everton without their main goal threat in DCL and Richarlison. It's like us playing without Watkins and Ings.

Edit: and without Martinez and Cash

Edited by Czarnikjak
  • Like 2

7 points from 5 with our issues is fine, small sample but on course for another 50 + point season which has to be the target and would surely get us in the top half.

We are slowly improving and I'm looking forward to next 5-6 games now as think we can get points out of all of them bar Man. United away for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

We finish 5th, possibly 4th, put your money on it now, by Christmas it will be nailed on so shit odds 

DO I BELIEVE IN THE VILLA 

OHHHHHH YEAH

Manchester United we’re coming for you 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 1

This place went giddy last season when we were hovering around the top 4 with games in hand. Let’s not go there because sure enough the people who talk about it will be the ones to kick the team when we finish 10th or so ( which is where i think we’ll end up ) my expectations ? Be ultra competitive against United and go to win. Chelsea too, no reason why we can’t field a good team and give that competition a right go.

Â