2021/22 expectations

Jareth

1 minute ago, danceoftheshamen said:

This season just has a bad feel about it already. Nothing is rolling for the club at the moment. The Grealish saga put an awful stink about proceedings before a ball had been kicked, pre-season was a mare with cancellations and players late back/injuries etc, then injuries hit us cruelly hard, covid took some players out & then we had Argentinagate and still we are nowhere near knowing how good we can be with everyone fit & firing. 

It'll take a while to sort this all out sadly and with the run of games upcoming we will likely be playing catch up for most of the season.

I think it's called... " having a stinker".

I just hope we drag through the quagmire and discover that once all fit we actually have a decent team which makes a late push for the top half or something.

It's looking like it's all about next season even at this early point as crazy as that sounds.

Hopefully we pull off a couple of miracle results and stay hangng in there after the next 8 games & get everyone gelled and firing though.

its been a rocky start but no doubt there will be plenty of twists and turns yet. and still have the FA cup to look forward to (plus technically in the EFL cup still)

many of us would've taken 12th and a cup run at the start of the season which is still very much a possibility

• Like 2

21 hours ago, nick76 said:

Yeah and that’s a bad place to be but it’s not as if there hasn’t been mitigating circumstances.  We know when fit and/or available we have a strong team so relegation isn’t going to be an issue.  This may well be a 13th/14th place season and that won’t be because Smith is bad but factors like Covid, Grealish, International FA stuff ups and injuries to players Ollie, Bailey and co.  Against Brentford we had something like 8 potential first team players out, there is nothing Smith could do about that.  

Things just haven’t gone our way so far this season and that happens. We wanted progression but things seem to be against us at the moment.  We may claw it back but we may not.  We had a bad second half of the season, last season but great first half, that maybe the opposite way around this season.

I agree that the circumstances have been difficult and I personally think our injury list has been unprecedented, but I for one would be very disappointed if we finished 13th or 14th. The injury list isn't good right now but Smith has said players will soon be available and the only long term one is Trez and he's a bit part player.

Plop had all their first choice CBs out last season to the extent they had to play their kids from the Academy and still finished third. I don't want to get into manager in or out as that only causes friction, but if we don't finish between 8th and 12th I think we have underachieved. 

On 08/09/2021 at 10:21, villalad21 said:

I think you are being generous.

Don't think we are taking anywhere near 12 points from that, especially considering the injury situation.

I think we lose the next 4. Wolves I can see a draw. Arsenal could have a new manager by then so could get tricky. Can't see us beating West Ham. Southampton should be winnable.

But one thing is for sure. Smith got one hell of a job in front of him in the coming weeks.

I was basing it on if we had a full strength squad which of course I know we won't. If we lose the next 4, regardless of the difficulty, fans will be angry. We will be in big trouble if that happens. Everton is a big one, we really need to get something out of that but need to target a win. It's the most winnable of the next 4. Spuds we might get something, we did win there last season after all. The other two I'm not confident. 

If we can get likes of Bailey, Traore, Sanson back we have a better chance. Hopefully the Twatter rumours about Ollie are crap too. Hopefully we can find a solution for the next set of Argentina games because they go off again in October and November and that will really f*** us up.

21 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I was basing it on if we had a full strength squad which of course I know we won't.

If we lose the next 4, regardless of the difficulty, fans will be angry. We will be in big trouble if that happens.

Everton is a big one, we really need to get something out of that but need to target a win. It's the most winnable of the next 4. Spuds we might get something, we did win there last season after all. The other two I'm not confident. 

If we can get likes of Bailey, Traore, Sanson back we have a better chance. Hopefully the Twatter rumours about Ollie are crap too. 

Hopefully we can find a solution for the next set of Argentina games because they go off again in October and November and that will really f*** us up.

Everton are flying under Rafa. Keep up their form and they will be massive favorites against us and rightly so.

The likes of Bailey and Sanson will need time to settle and adjust to a new league. Can't see them transforming us right off the bat.

It seem to be a little bit in the writing that the season will be very difficult and may turn into a fight for survival. With the horrible pre season, injuries, Jack going etc. It just has that feel about it.

I'm getting closer and closer to the point in taking 40 points right now if offered. It sounds ott but It's where I'm currently at.

Edited by villalad21

18 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Everton are flying under Rafa. Keep up their form and they will be massive favorites against us and rightly so.

The likes of Bailey and Sanson will need time to settle and adjust to a new league. Can't see them transforming us right off the bat.

It seem to be a little bit in the writing that the season will be very difficult and may turn into a fight for survival. With the horrible pre season, injuries, Jack going etc. It just has that feel about it.

I'm getting closer and closer to the point in taking 40 points right now if offered. It sounds ott but It's where I'm currently at.

Nah don't agree. Any team with Traore, Watkins, Bailey, Ings and Buendia in attack will not just be looking to scrape to 40 points. If so the manager won't survive. 50+ points will be our aim despite our season starting below par. 

Bailey showed in 30 mins against Watford he is ready for this league. Sanson has been here since January and should be acclimatised to the league now.  We're better than at least 8 teams in this league and on a par with about 4 others. Grealish going, injuries etc will be no excuse for poor results.

• Like 1

If we have a full strength squad its just hard to judge how they will do. I think a fair assessment is the squad is a mid table team with the ability to push further if they klick right.

It would be ridiculous and damn right stupid for any fan to shout for Dean's head if we have a bad season. If a bad season happens so what, so long as were still a prem side then not to much has been lost and weve suffered a setback that can be put right. If the setback happens it's not a reason to find a new coach and give up on Dean IMO!!

Just enjoy the season regardless of what happens, we have a very exciting squad now capable of excellent things, it's just it may take time to connect together.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 2

Just watching a feature with Stephen Warnock on BEIN.

Says when he was at Blackburn, Capello told him, if he wanted to feature for England etc,  " You need to be playing for a Club who are competing at the top end of the table, for Champions League places, which Villa were at the time ".

Wasn't sure where to put this, but just goes to show, it does happen, also, that we used to be pretty good!

Also, he put Ashley Young in his all time team on the Left Wing.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just watching a feature with Neil Warnock on BEIN.

Says when he was at Blackburn, Capello told him, if he wanted to feature for England etc,  " You need to be playing for a Club who are competing at the top end of the table, for Champions League places, which Villa were at the time ".

Wasn't sure where to put this, but just goes to show, it does happen, also, that we used to be pretty good!

Also, he put Ashley Young in his all time team on the Left Wing.

Do you mean Stephen Warnock?

I don’t think aeroplanes had been invented when Neil Warnock was in contention for England. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

Can anyone really be flying or flagging after just 3 games?

Sample size is way to small to extrapolate anything meaningful.

Sure Southampton were top after about 8 games last season and Hassnhuttl was greatest manager in history then they barely won for 6 months. So Yeah i wouldnt judge anything yet

22 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Do you mean Stephen Warnock?

I don’t think aeroplanes had been invented when Neil Warnock was in contention for England. 

Well spotted, it's  me posting half asleep again. lol

Woke him by accident.

Neil Warnock GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I agree that the circumstances have been difficult and I personally think our injury list has been unprecedented, but I for one would be very disappointed if we finished 13th or 14th.

The injury list isn't good right now but Smith has said players will soon be available and the only long term one is Trez and he's a bit part player.

Plop had all their first choice CBs out last season to the extent they had to play their kids from the Academy and still finished third. 

I don't want to get into manager in or out as that only causes friction, but if we don't finish between 8th and 12th I think we have underachieved

Have to agree with you even when we finish first it'll be an underachievement for a certain number 21.

So my expectations for this season took a hit because of a dream......

So in my dream we had a coach come in halfway through last season, and they had a mrked improvement in the club, taking us from mid table to threatening for the top 6....Then the real stuff happened, an ex yoof player left us for £100 mil, and we signed some players.

This season at the start there was an absence which the club was trying to resolve in the coaching ranks, and a "Will he? Won't he?" return... and then it was announced, he wasn't returning, and the not so maddest part was Sky reporting that a certain ex yoof player, who is now very expensive was involved in trying to get him to stay with us, but left Bodymoor in floods of tears when it was clear it wasn't happening....

And based on that, I'm thinking 12th tops..... This mystery saviour who wasn't coming back??

seanconnery.jpeg

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, DeadlyDirk said:

So my expectations for this season took a hit because of a dream......

So in my dream we had a coach come in halfway through last season, and they had a mrked improvement in the club, taking us from mid table to threatening for the top 6....

Then the real stuff happened, an ex yoof player left us for £100 mil, and we signed some players.

This season at the start there was an absence which the club was trying to resolve in the coaching ranks, and a "Will he? Won't he?" return... and then it was announced, he wasn't returning, and the not so maddest part was Sky reporting that a certain ex yoof player, who is now very expensive was involved in trying to get him to stay with us, but left Bodymoor in floods of tears when it was clear it wasn't happening....

And based on that, I'm thinking 12th tops..... This mystery saviour who wasn't coming back??

seanconnery.jpeg

What did I just read? I read it a second time I’m still as confused apart from you thinking 12th tops.

99% WTF, 1% normal 😂😂😂

Edited by nick76

On 08/09/2021 at 10:16, nick76 said:

Against Brentford we had something like 8 potential first team players out, there is nothing Smith could do about that. 

Not sure that’s true. Perhaps the injuries were caused by the way he set the cones out?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Not sure that’s true. Perhaps the injuries were caused by the way he set the cones out?

Can’t be cones, as one poster claimed it is genetically impossible for Ollie to get injured so cones aren’t going to scupper that.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Can’t be cones, as one poster claimed it is genetically impossible for Ollie to get injured so cones aren’t going to scupper that.

It's alarming that he's not playing despite not being injured, hence I have low expectations for this season.

Â