2021/22 expectations

Jareth

43 minutes ago, BOF said:

Exactly, and I suspect everyone in this thread knows the points being made. Especially when you consider where we've been as a club for the past 6 seasons and what we've had to rebuild. It has been a very successful spell and will hopefully lead to silverware. But the silverware itself is not the only gauge. You generally don't win anything from the middle of the championship.

The acid test is to ask a Baggie or a Blues whether they are happier with Villa now or the Villa from 4 years ago.

Realistic aspirations are a top six finish so we can play in Europe again, ideally the Europa League. The other would be to win a trophy. If we qualified for Europe twice in the next three years and won say the FA Cup, that would be a massive success in my opinion.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Realistic aspirations are a top six finish so we can play in Europe again, ideally the Europa League. The other would be to win a trophy. If we qualified for Europe twice in the next three years and won say the FA Cup, that would be a massive success in my opinion.

That would be amazing. It would be our most successful period for about 30 years.

9 hours ago, CVByrne said:

MON years was massive success then by your logic. 

16 hours ago, BOF said:

Exactly, and I suspect everyone in this thread knows the points being made. Especially when you consider where we've been as a club for the past 6 seasons and what we've had to rebuild. It has been a very successful spell and will hopefully lead to silverware. But the silverware itself is not the only gauge. You generally don't win anything from the middle of the championship.

A bit off topic but it’s why I didn’t really understand Grealish’s move... it’s very likely he’ll win silverware but is that really success? To me it would feel hollow and of no real value. Whereas us winning promotion, staying up and improving year on year is so much more meaningful to a fan. Oh well, I still don’t understand it!

2 hours ago, peterw said:

So if Villa win the Carabao Cup this season but get relegated, for you that translates as a successful season?

Great question as winning a cup and being relegated has happened. 

Portsmouth, Middlesbrough, Brighton, Leicester City and Manchester City have been relegated Cup finalists – but Wigan Athletic are the first winners to go down

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/may/15/wigan-athletic-relegated-fa-cup-finalists

For me, getting relegated these days could mean being in the wilderness for years or longer and seeing teams like Derby with their issues I’d sacrifice that trophy to not get relegated.

Edited by nick76

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Great question as winning a cup and being relegated has happened. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/may/15/wigan-athletic-relegated-fa-cup-finalists

For me, getting relegated these days could mean being in the wilderness for years or longer and seeing teams like Derby with their issues I’d sacrifice that trophy to not get relegated.

The Noses went down the same season as winning a cup too but think that was the League Cup. They are so tinpot that they still celebrate that success now!

Success for me would be challenging for top 4/top 6 every season as that’s where a club of our size should be and allows us to build a great squad. Winning trophies is a luxury and should be an additional aim but it’s difficult with city, Chelsea and United and their clear advantages to everyone else.

Most neutrals I talk to think Villa has the potential to be a huge club. Even my dad who’s a spuds fan thinks that. 

14 hours ago, Keyblade said:

To say such a feat is the expected delivery of the manager to do all of that in 3 seasons is downplaying the difficulty of that achievement significantly

I can't see how it is down playing the difficulty. There is no way he would still be in the job if he didn't get us promoted and nor would any other manger be in the job if they failed to get us promoted. I think Dean is doing a very good job at Villa and that is why he is still our head coach.

Do you believe that promotion was a requirement to keep his job?

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

MON years was massive success then by your logic. 

It was our most successful period of the last 20 years. But we didn't win a trophy so it wasn't a massive success. As I stated in my post European Competition qualification on a regular basis and winning a trophy = massive success.

40 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

A bit off topic but it’s why I didn’t really understand Grealish’s move... it’s very likely he’ll win silverware but is that really success? To me it would feel hollow and of no real value. Whereas us winning promotion, staying up and improving year on year is so much more meaningful to a fan. Oh well, I still don’t understand it!

I think for Grealish it was to improve himself as a footballer by testing himself against the very best in the Champions League and achieving personal honours and winning the top trophies as a team both with City and England. 

If I were him I'd have done the same, moved on. I think it is good for both Villa and Grealish.

• Like 2

Just now, CVByrne said:

I think for Grealish it was to improve himself as a footballer by testing himself against the very best in the Champions League and achieving personal honours and winning the top trophies as a team both with City and England. 

If I were him I'd have done the same, moved on. I think it is good for both Villa and Grealish.

100% agree,  it opened loads of door's for both parties involved,  would the Villa go back and change it if they could now.  I don't think so.

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It was our most successful period of the last 20 years. But we didn't win a trophy so it wasn't a massive success. As I stated in my post European Competition qualification on a regular basis and winning a trophy = massive success.

But it wasn't a successful period.

Just like Spurs under Poch wasn't a successful period or Wolves under Nuno wasn't a successful period.

They are good achievements but not success.

Â