2021/22 expectations

Jareth

Retain our best and add some real quality - top 8 and a possible cup final.

The top 6 is a push but West Ham have shown that it’s doable if injuries are kind and you get the rub of the green.

Hoping for an exciting summer of rumours, links and surprises first though.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MNVillan said:

At the risk of getting obliterated on this board... how sure are we that Jack will be here next year?

If i was jack i wouldnt blame him if he wanted to go. The majority of the team and dean smith have let him down.

Poor performances, poor results and some awful play recently without jack. Its a team game not grealish fc. We need to be able to cope without him and we havent.

As for the question i think top 10 we should be looking at. We got foundations for it. But we certainly need better players in the centre of the park and wide areas.  

I think getting a marquee signing like tammy would lift the roof off villa park 

• Like 1

Its not the position we should be looking at, far too many variables to consider that can alter this outside of our hands.

A better target would be points!

I'd say a jump of 5-10 would be a fair improvement on this season. 

We should be aiming for 55-60 points, which is usually enough for a European place.

• Like 2

Carney Chukwuemeka to start every game and become known as the undisputed best player in the world causing Perez to complain that Barcelona can't afford to sign him. 🤞

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Top 7 as the aim but top half is a good season.

We need to become a consistent midtable/top half team as we continue to progress. 

Yeah for sure. 

If we start floating with relegation next year then i dont think the board will be happy with that return on their investment 

23 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

With the seditious six and Leicester, that's 7 clubs that on paper will be equal or better than us. Therefore, realistically hard to expect anything more than a Top 10 finish.

Well, regardless, we'll still have people 'jussst asssskiiiiiinnngg queeesssttiiiioooons' if we don't make the top 4. 

Same as this season but generally more inconsistent rather than great then shit 

Think we'll be in the 7th to 12th bracket with some decent teams that are largely considered shit, like arsenal, who in reality still have a some great players just underperforming, mini league with us Everton West ham arsenal Leeds and wolves 

7th will be really **** hard make no doubt about it, even if we spend £100m+ this summer these other teams aren't going to stand still 

Add in a cup run and then maybe most importantly develop the platform to start integrating the youngsters, doesnt have to be throw them in and expect wonders just take Ramsey from this season for example and add 2 more getting the same kind of first team exposure 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, MNVillan said:

At the risk of getting obliterated on this board... how sure are we that Jack will be here next year?

Personally very confident 

We'll price him out of a move, can see it being a sancho-esque summer if he has a good euros but I think we'll just say under contract mate or at worst do a dortmund and stick a value on him that clarifies our stance and makes suitors look daft when they try and undercut us 

Could / should be some new chief executives across Europe this summer so who knows what other clubs will do in terms of wanting him 

Just now, villa4europe said:

Personally very confident 

We'll price him out of a move, can see it being a sancho-esque summer if he has a good euros but I think we'll just say under contract mate or at worst do a dortmund and stick a value on him that clarifies our stance and makes suitors look daft when they try and undercut us 

Could / should be some new chief executives across Europe this summer so who knows what other clubs will do in terms of wanting him 

It seems City and United putting all the eggs into the striker basket, Liverpool have other issues and no money. Chelsea maybe but not sure if need him. Arsenal and Spurs 😂

Abroad Bayern wont pay the fee and PSG have Neymar in the same position. Big Italian clubs wont pay the fee and the Spanish clubs are broke and maybe he isnt a Galactico enough

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

It seems City and United putting all the eggs into the striker basket, Liverpool have other issues and no money. Chelsea maybe but not sure if need him. Arsenal and Spurs 😂

Abroad Bayern wont pay the fee and PSG have Neymar in the same position. Big Italian clubs wont pay the fee and the Spanish clubs are broke and maybe he isnt a Galactico enough

Yeah that's my thinking too

Unless he has an incredible euros, becomes the face of Nike or some other big brands across Europe then none of the foreign clubs would go anywhere near his asking price

Man City would get pep in the media trying to whittle the price down, utd post Woodward its hard to tell

I don't see anyone realistically going North of £80m for him, which means he doesn't leave 

9 hours ago, MNVillan said:

We bought his soul already - mantra is 'do not sell jack' but 'buy players jack wants' - simples

• Like 3

Domestic treble. No more, no less.

And just to show that I'm not unreasonable, I will allow the 2022/2023 Community Shield to be included as anything can happen in a one-off game in the cups.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think ultimately putting a numbered position in the table on it is a tricky one as you can't control the performances of other sides in the league. Depending on the season a certain points total could be good enough to have you finish 7th one year and 10th in another. 

Personally I'd be pleased with us at the very least establishing our position and adding more consistency to our performances, which will hopefully come with having a stronger squad after the transfer window. Considering the rough tally we look like we'll finish on this time around I think somewhere in the 55-60 points range should be the aim as that's usually your pushing for the European places standard.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I think ultimately putting a numbered position in the table on it is a tricky one as you can't control the performances of other sides in the league. Depending on the season a certain points total could be good enough to have you finish 7th one year and 10th in another. 

Personally I'd be pleased with us at the very least establishing our position and adding more consistency to our performances, which will hopefully come with having a stronger squad after the transfer window. Considering the rough tally we look like we'll finish on this time around I think somewhere in the 55-60 points range should be the aim as that's usually your pushing for the European places standard.

Agreed.

What you'd expect though is for us to show more consistency.

Not like this season where we played out of our skins first half and then looked like a bottom 5 side the second half.

There got to be a middle ground we can find where we can get more steady results and performances. Not go from one scale to the complete opposite scale.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Top 8 for me if we invest and keep all the players mentioned. Progress is the name of the game.

Yeah. I think so too. It's years and years since we could say we were in that top 6 mix, and since then it's all gotten a lot more competitive. Leicester is in there, spurs is in there. Everton are good, West Ham overachieving. Arsenal will probably bounce back.

Anyone thinking we can just expect to be above Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, Leicester, Chelsea, Liverpool with their investments, after we've been mismanaged by years and years coming up from a promotion 24 months ago. Get real.

A top 8 would be solid progress by the looks of it, even if we still can make it this season.

Retaining Grealish will be big. As well keeping faith in Deano even if we have some bumps in the road.

I'd also want to see us signing a few more key players, i.e. players that are quality wise a level above what we got. Then we could sort out our poor depth, by rotating some current first teamers to the bench, like Traore, McGinn, Barkley.

I also want to see our youth players keep on improving, maybe by doing well on a loan in the championship or even breaking through with some good performances in the senior side.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

Â