Pre match thread

zab6359

9 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

I'm not sure what everyone is basing starting the youngsters on, other than they're not el gahzi et al.

Because they [everyone] have all been at the training sessions haven't you heard? They are in a group huddle with Terry, Shakespeare and Deano himself and are fully ITK on form and preference.

That's before we've even mentioned that the games that our youngsters have been doing well in have been against 18 year olds...

Edited by Steero113
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Pretty poor as should have gave Davis a go up top and moved watkins out wide

We should move our England centre forward and leading goalscorer out wide... Where he also can't press or move as much...

Theres an argument that we should play 2 up top but shifting Ollie wide for Davis isn't worth it

• Like 1

So Davis finally scores and then rewarded next game by being benched meaning any chance to build any momentum has been robbed and he’ll get the customary 10-30mins...

JPB is 19 yo FFS and hopefully the future. We all know how limited Traore and El Ghazi are so why not give him a run out?

McGinn can go missing for a season yet as he is a Smith favourite he is beyond dropping. 

Elmo is gone this summer so Why put him on the bench over Kessler? 

4231 or 433 hasn’t worked for a while for us so why not change or tweak the system and personnel ? 

This is why I get frustrated with Smith and his stubbornness or rigidity. This is why I want someone like Ralf Rangnick long term myself. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

Because they [everyone] have all been at the training sessions haven't you heard? They are in a group huddle with Terry, Shakespeare and Deano himself and are fully ITK on form and preference.

That's before we've even mentioned that the games that our youngsters have been doing well in have been against 18 year olds...

Playing one, is hardly risking the crown jewels.....particularly in midfeld, where trees have been certainly not been ripped up.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Enda said:

Aston Villa: Martínez; Cash, Konsa, Mings (C), Targett; Douglas Luiz, McGinn; Traoré, Barkley, El Ghazi; Watkins.

Were dead

premier league win GIF by Aston Villa FC

Only person that saves this game for us is Martinez, he's going to have to have a belter of a game.

Edited by Dave-R

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

It is if you play 2 wingers.....whats wrong with 1 floating.

Because our wide players are our main outlets and a key part of our system that we have played for the last 2 years and we barely create anything through the middle. Barkley at least offers something through there and people are unhappy he is starting.

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

We should move our England centre forward and leading goalscorer out wide... Where he also can't press or move as much...

Theres an argument that we should play 2 up top but shifting Ollie wide for Davis isn't worth it

There isn’t an argument we should play 2 up top because our midfield isn’t good enough to be able to cope. 

There is however, an argument to play our striker out on the wing, where he has played before, and play Davis for the good of the team. Especially as our wingers are shite. Watkins will be our centre forward next season, we all know that, nobody is disputing it, but right now we need to change something to actually be competitive and try and win a game. Novel idea, I know. 

• Like 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

At least it's nice that with safety secured and Europe unlikely we can all just relax and enjoy it.

I'd rather us not relaxe though.

Start relaxing and you can end up taking that into next season and start off with a hiccup or few, let's bring some heat to the game.

• Like 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

At least it's nice that with safety secured and Europe unlikely we can all just relax and enjoy it.

Relax and enjoy it? :lol:

I'll give it half hour after kick off before this thread is absolutely raging 

• Like 1

Kind of annoyed its the usual suspects, but looking at the bench (which is pretty much championship standard) i can see why

Go 2 up top, and assuming ramsey comes in one side of a mid 4, you still get el ghazi/traore/barkley the other, where their annonymous defensive abilities are shown up even more

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Well tbh he hasn’t done much up front the last few games, he looks lost up there on his own