Pre match thread

zab6359

I'd like to see Davis given a start up front - give the lad a chance after he has impressed a few times after coming on recently. Unleash the goal machine!

As for Wesley starting it has to be a no. He is nowhere near fit enough at this stage so coming on for the last 10/15 minutes is more realistic IMO.

• Like 1

On 30/04/2021 at 00:13, AvonVillain said:

Completely lost by that last line. Jude Bellingham is 17 and played regularly in the Champions League, and now has senior England call. When you have nothing left to play for in essence, it makes perfect sense to pick a youth product over someone running down their contract or otherwise likely to leave at the end of the season. I can't see getting 10 or 20 minutes here and there ruining anyone's career. Quite the opposite.

But Jude Bellingham was ready for first team football that's my point. 

We need to play carney chukwuemeka today bottom line even if its for 15 minutes... deano has to give these guys minutes... someone like brendan rodgers or pochettino would and thats the difference between top class managers they shake things up, nothing against deano btw hes doing a great job regardless but we have to see some action now.

On 28/04/2021 at 18:40, TRO said:

The slackers or free loaders as Graham Taylor called them...its not always the same ones.

I am not talking about starting them....but if players don't give me a shift ( assuming I was the manager) I would hook them...and bring them you mentioned on....I would not accept passive play for lengths of time, I would change it, else it breeds complacency.

I would make my position very clear, there is no excuse for not giving workrate, ( unless there is an underlying medical problem in which case they shouldn't be starting imo) if I see a player, drifting, I would play Carney or Keinan or whoever was appropriate.

This is not aimed at Dean, But you have to make your mark with players, and demonstrate what standard of work was acceptable....they soon get the message, Tuchel has demonstarted already, its his way and he has been there 5 minutes.

Sir Ron made it clear.....110%.

Yes i fully agree he takes too long to pull the pull the plug and switch it up ..... rahsford and greenwood all of similar ages and now they’re established in the first team ... if we dont give them a chance we will never know ... maybe if we did this earlier in the season we may have had a player that makes a huge difference but theyve been stuck in the U23’s 

With only six league games remaining, we face Everton for the first time this season today. We could go ninth with a win tonight, but how many times have we said we could get back into the top half of the table with a win? It is time that we did win one of these games. It would bring us within four points of our hosts, who have not really been setting the table alight themselves, with some of their recent performances. Their ambitious hopes of a top four place are gone and although Europa Cup qualification is still a possible target, I wonder whether they might have one foot on the same beach that we have been on for a while now? A point would take us above Arsenal, if only potentially for a day and that is what we got at the end of last season. 

Our last win at Goodison Park was in 2008. Since then we have drawn there five times and have lost on three occasions. Overall, we have won 74 and have drawn 54 of the 204 league games, that there have been between the two clubs, in this the most played top-flight fixture. A league double this season, would therefore level up the historical results between us, nicely. Just win it for us Villa or failing that, avoid defeat and show a bit of our earlier season form!    

52 minutes ago, John said:

With only six league games remaining, we face Everton for the first time this season today. We could go ninth with a win tonight, but how many times have we said we could get back into the top half of the table with a win? It is time that we did win one of these games. It would bring us within four points of our hosts, who have not really been setting the table alight themselves, with some of their recent performances. Their ambitious hopes of a top four place are gone and although Europa Cup qualification is still a possible target, I wonder whether they might have one foot on the same beach that we have been on for a while now? A point would take us above Arsenal, if only potentially for a day and that is what we got at the end of last season. 

Our last win at Goodison Park was in 2008. Since then we have drawn there five times and have lost on three occasions. Overall, we have won 74 and have drawn 54 of the 204 league games, that there have been between the two clubs, in this the most played top-flight fixture. A league double this season, would therefore level up the historical results between us, nicely. Just win it for us Villa or failing that, avoid defeat and show a bit of our earlier season form!    

I hope he shakes it up a bit today, even from the bench, even though I think he has limited options.....Dean is a bit, too loyal for me at times, sure they have given him a season where he can sleep at night, but I would like to see them on their toes a bit more....To be fair to him the defence is picking itself and it is difficult to see otherwise,although Hause could come in and maybe play CDM with Luiz or swap with Konsa and let him play there.

I do hope the summer business, isn't JUST a quality upgrade, I hope it gives us more balance and variance of player, to help Dean change tactics as and when, required.

I too, hope we can finish just in the top half, that would give us a decent platform to tackle the next season.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Chukwuemeka would be 14 months younger than any player that Brendan Rogers has ever selected to play in Leicester's first team. 

Luke Thomas is the youngest debutant under Rogers; he was nineteen and a month when he made his first league appearance. He's 13 days younger than Jacob Ramsey.

I must admit, when is the right time, is not my bag....I have no idea, so no criticism from me.

but the vultures are circling for this kid, and he does look Bellinghamesque, in his stature......so he does look like, he could be given minutes, pretty soon.

I think Gary Shaw was 17 when he made his debut and Gareth Barry 18....so its not unusual,even for us.

Edited by TRO

9 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Everton have been pretty woeful at home this season. Their form is pretty poor. We all know what happens when Villa come to town and you’re in poor form!

Its one of those things with us, that makes me cringe.

If there was one thing I could change, its that.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

I must admit, when is the right time, is not my bag....I have no idea, so no criticism from me.

but the vultures are circling for this kid, and he does look Bellinghamesque, in his stature......so he does like, he could be given minutes.

I think Gary Shaw was 17 when he made his debut and Gareth Barry 18....so its not unusual,even for us.

I absolutely agree, but I think it's a decision for the coaching team, they work with the players every day and they'll know how ready they are, physically and mentally. I think we have to trust their judgement on these things - the vultures can circle all they like, but they missed their big chance, the boy is under contract for two and half more years and he'd cost a fortune to take from us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, supermon said:

If Davis starts then I think we will win the game, 2-0 Watkins and Davis to score.

I think if Davis starts, the midfield will play a tad better....and that is not a sleight on Ollie, because I love his play.

Edited by TRO

38 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Chukwuemeka would be 14 months younger than any player that Brendan Rogers has ever selected to play in Leicester's first team. 

Luke Thomas is the youngest debutant under Rogers; he was nineteen and a month when he made his first league appearance. He's 13 days younger than Jacob Ramsey.

Think he meant Rodgers playing Sterling when he was 17 at Liverpool.

I'd like Carney and Barry to get some minutes in run in but I can't see either getting a start at any point this season. Ramsey been part of the first team squad all season and even now starts are pretty rare so he's being eased into things slowly.

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Think he meant Rodgers playing Sterling when he was 17 at Liverpool.

I'd like Carney and Barry to get some minutes in run in but I can't see either getting a start at any point this season. Ramsey been part of the first team squad all season and even now starts are pretty rare so he's being eased into things slowly.

I think Carney is physically more mature than Louie, Louie may take a bit more time.....its easy to take forwards out in this league.

2 hours ago, zab6359 said:

But Jude Bellingham was ready for first team football that's my point. 

You're probably right, but I think we've been stung in the past and can of course lack patience as fans or complete trust in the methodology of the people in charge. (Big fan of DS remember!) Tim Cahill and also Mark Albrighton not getting into that miserable Paul Lambert team springs to mind. Would love to see a bit more daring and looking to the future today.

43 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Tim Cahill  not getting into that miserable Paul Lambert team springs to mind.

I think that's a bit harsh on Lambert. :)

(Gary Cahill would be harsh on him too, Gary left three years before Lambert arrived).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think that's a bit harsh on Lambert. :)

(Gary Cahill would be harsh on him too, Gary left three years before Lambert arrived).

Sorry, should've been clearer. But the whole world knows it was MON who didn't play him, so I skipped the clarification; plus it's a such a well-worn point as to be as famous as the European cup win....

• Like 1

I'd love to see Chukwuemeka get some minutes this season, I love watching him and I think he's a terrific player, but I think it's important that we don't let our desire to see the youngsters play result in us starting to imagine that other teams play all the youngsters - they don't - Smith plays as many young players as Rodgers or Pochettino. We're not on the verge of losing any of our youngsters, no matter what some knob in the minor press wrote in the hope of clicks during the week, and our record on losing young players is no better or worse than most teams and better than a lot. 

I'd love to see Chukwuemeka get some minutes this season, but I don't think he hasn't because Smith is a mad dinosaur or MON couldn't see the potential in Gary Cahill or because a player made a debut in 1979 or because if Bellingham is good all 17 year olds are good. 

When the coaching team think he's ready, or an opportunity opens up, he'll play - we have to a bit of faith in that.

I hope he makes the bench today, but I suspect he probably won't.