Pre match thread

zab6359

On 27/04/2021 at 13:07, osmark86 said:

Everton's form as of late hasn't exactly been glowing either so this could be a bit of a surprise game. I think we have a good chance at getting the full 3pts here if we are fired up for it.

Let's hope the players feel like we deserved more from WBA and go into this game with something to prove. I believe that will make all the difference right now.

I have a funny feeling we will get something.....They may be fed up themselves playing below par, and find some form.

sometimes a personnel shake up, can spark something....I also think, if we are going to bypass midfield at times with long balls down the channels, Keinan should be afforded some game time....Oliie is having too much mundane work to do.

36 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

@TRO I'm not against giving Daivs game time, or bringing Chukwuemeka on to the bench, I think both could be very useful.

Who is dropping out of your side?

The slackers or free loaders as Graham Taylor called them...its not always the same ones.

I am not talking about starting them....but if players don't give me a shift ( assuming I was the manager) I would hook them...and bring them you mentioned on....I would not accept passive play for lengths of time, I would change it, else it breeds complacency.

I would make my position very clear, there is no excuse for not giving workrate, ( unless there is an underlying medical problem in which case they shouldn't be starting imo) if I see a player, drifting, I would play Carney or Keinan or whoever was appropriate.

This is not aimed at Dean, But you have to make your mark with players, and demonstrate what standard of work was acceptable....they soon get the message, Tuchel has demonstarted already, its his way and he has been there 5 minutes.

Sir Ron made it clear.....110%.

Edited by TRO

37 minutes ago, TRO said:

The problem is Paul, when you labour, the point about work rate, like me, folk think you don't favour flair, nothing could be further from the truth.

When you watch games in the Premier League, running is a major feature of everything that good comes from....and I mean hard running in to dangerous spaces, not idle minded running in to space to avoid contact...chasing last causes etc.

I am not sure about starting, but he needs more game time to progress.....and we are not exactly stuck for who to take off, judging by so many indifferent performances.

Or they say then he wouldn't be at a club like Villa if he had both. But flair is no good without  hard work and intent. If you go back to the 70s I wouldn't say andy Gray was the most talented of players but he was brave and hard working. If you have a 9/10 for work effort and a 6/10 for talent you have an excellent player. i think that fits Olie Watkins. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

The slackers or free loaders as Graham Taylor called them.

I am not talking about starting them....but if players don't give me a shift ( assuming I was the manager) I would hook them...and bring them you mentioned on....I would not accept passive play for lengths of time, I would change it, else it breeds complacency.

I would make my position very clear, there is no excuse for not giving workrate, ( unless there is an underlying medical problem in which case they shouldn't be starting imo) if I see a player, drifting, I would play Carney or Keinan or whoever was appropriate.

This is not aimed at Dean, But you have to make your mark with players, and demonstrate what standard of work was acceptable....they soon get the message, Tuchel has demonstarted already, its his way and he has been there 5 minutes.

Sir Ron made it clear.....110%.

Yep, I get that, I don't think anyone is questioning your belief in the values of hard work, but who?

21 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Or they say then he wouldn't be at a club like Villa if he had both. But flair is no good without  hard work and intent. If you go back to the 70s I wouldn't say andy Gray was the most talented of players but he was brave and hard working. If you have a 9/10 for work effort and a 6/10 for talent you have an excellent player. i think that fits Olie Watkins. 

He told me point blank during our conversations exactly that.....Andy was very aware of what he was as a player and what his redeeming features were and didn't pretend otherwise.

as you say it can take you much further than some folk care to admit too.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yep, I get that, I don't think anyone is questioning your belief in the values of hard work, but who?

Not sure, I understand your question, who?

do you mean who would I take off?

I would take off, the players, who was not doing the job and try to get somebody who will....it will vary from game to game as it always does...just like MOTM does.

If we was working our socks off and winning the game, with everyone at it.....no one would be replaced.

I hope, I have explained correctly.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Not sure, I understand your question, who?

I'm interested in the eleven you'd pick. I understand the ethos, the reasoning, the limitations of the current squad and so on. I was just interested in how they'd line up for you if you were the manager on Saturday night.

I'm guessing it'd be the same back five as for most people - Martinez, Cash, Mings, Konsa, Targett - but who would play ahead of them and in what formation?

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm interested in the eleven you'd pick. I understand the ethos, the reasoning, the limitations of the current squad and so on. I was just interested in how they'd line up for you if you were the manager on Saturday night.

I'm guessing it'd be the same back five as for most people - Martinez, Cash, Mings, Konsa, Targett - but who would play ahead of them and in what formation?

Yes, The back 5 picks itself for me.....but I would play Hause more, if he was fit...i.e against Burnley, Hause would possibly play, in a back 3 if many other factors were ok, like his  form.

I would have to study, who we was playing.....I don't think we are good enough,( consistency wise) to play the same team every match.

I think there is a real issue of sameyness about our midfield, so I think the options for anyone is limited....its is an area, I hope we deal with int the summer.

I think Jack and Ollie are the go to 2 of the front 6....so that leaves 4 players to tie myself in knots.

Under the circumstances I think 2 wingers is ambitious, so I would go for 1winger  in a possible 4-3-1-2  or a 4-4-2 diamond midfield.

I honestly believe, if I could drop Rice and Soucek in to our centre midfield, it would create so many more solutions to other players.....I think some of ours would improve.

I do generally believe, we haven't got the right mix of players with any quality, to affect too much right now, but I am also cautious that if we buy better quality, but the mix is still not right only minimum affect will happen.

bet you're glad I'm not the manager.😀

5 hours ago, zab6359 said:

No chance! One of the few flair players we have on the pitch without Jack madness to drop Traore for KD. 

And I like KD!

I agree he has flair, but he has been below average (being kind) for a while now. I'm not writing him off, he's shown several glimpses of quality. But I think players should be picked on form or it sends out the wrong message. I think a front 3 of Watkins Davis and El Ghazi pose plenty of attacking threat and who knows dropping Bertrand to the bench might give him a kick up the backside he needs to start producing more.

Anyway, just my thoughts. I think Smith will play him anyway 😅

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

So, so far we have 

----------------------------Martinez-----------------------

Cash---------Konsa---------Mings-------Targett

-----------xxxxxxx---xxxxxx---xxxxxxx------------

--------------------------xxxxxx----------------------------

------------xxxxxxxxxx--------Watkins--------------

plus one player who is injured and two who don't play for us.

I'd love for you to fill in the gaps, but if you don't want to then I'll leave it at that!

I think that team would have the X factor.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 27/04/2021 at 13:58, KAZZAM said:

Season is pretty much over so maybe we should experiment a bit 

Martinez 

Konsa  Hause  Mings

Cash.   Luiz. Mcginn.  Targett 

Barkley 

Watkins.          Davis 

I would like to see this with the exception that I would play Traore at "10" instead of Barkley.  I think he is better suited to being in there as there is less of a requirement for pace - which he lacks - and he can go either side/find space behind the two.

Cash and Targett are our best crossers, in Jack's absence, especially the latter, so makes chance to get them further forward.

Gotta play Ollie off KD if we are going to play KD.  He needs bodies playing off him and Ollie has been too isolated.

I could see this side getting a result BUT I will be massively surprised if DS goes for this.  It will be the normal 4-3-3 which keeps failing, with AEG and BT either side of Ollie.  Sooooooo frustrating. 🙄

If we're going to experiment, I'd go with:

--------------Luiz---Nakamba---McGinn----------

------------Wesley----Davis-----Watkins---------

and launch it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

So, so far we have 

-----------xxxxxxx---xxxxxx---xxxxxxx------------

--------------------------xxxxxx----------------------------

------------xxxxxxxxxx--------Watkins--------------

plus one player who is injured and two who don't play for us.

I'd love for you to fill in the gaps, but if you don't want to then I'll leave it at that!

what choices are there other than who's there already.........I said IF I could drop them in, hypothetically speaking.

Nakamba,McGinn, Luiz, Traore, Davis.....assuming Jack, Trez and Sanson is out still.

If your point is, that we have no choice, you are right, the team right now, picks itself.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

and launch it.

ok with that....as I don't think there is much choice.

Edited by TRO

9 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

and launch it.

Not sure if you're serious or not but Wesley is nowhere near ready to start.

• Like 1