Pre match thread

zab6359

Start of a tough May. On paper just the Crystal Palace game where we would be expected to get any points with all those other teams trying to secure European places. Everton aren't unbeatable but are a better team than us on their day and we haven't really been turning up lately. Feeling optimistic though and think we might surprise them and come away with the 3 points.

Everton's form as of late hasn't exactly been glowing either so this could be a bit of a surprise game. I think we have a good chance at getting the full 3pts here if we are fired up for it.

Let's hope the players feel like we deserved more from WBA and go into this game with something to prove. I believe that will make all the difference right now.

• Like 1

Season is pretty much over so maybe we should experiment a bit 

Martinez 

Konsa  Hause  Mings

Cash.   Luiz. Mcginn.  Targett 

Barkley 

Watkins.          Davis 

We'll have Cash back for this one, so I'd guess the back five picks itself:

--------------------------------Martinez-------------------------------------

Cash-------------Konsa-------------Mings------------------Targett

And then it becomes a matter of whether we stick with the two wingers without Jack and Trez or mix things up a bit - personally I'd mix things up, but I think Dean Smith will stay with the shape - so:

-----------------------Luiz----------------McGinn-------------------------

Traore---------------------Barkley----------------------------El Ghazi

-------------------------------Watkins----------------------------------------

bench of:

Heaton, Taylor, Elmohamady, Hause, Engels, Nakamba, Ramsey, Davis, Wesley

There's no real wide option on the bench which would mean if Traore comes off we'd have to move maybe Cash there and bring on Elmo and if El Ghazi went dow we'd possibly move Watkins - neither of those options are ideal, but I can't see us dropping Wesley off the bench for JPB - I think the psychological benefit to Wesley (and the others) of his return trumps any tactical benefit.

tldr; same as.

• Like 1

Seems like Everton haven't won at home since Duncan Ferguson played for them so think we know what's happening here.

They've got most of their first choice back fit again aswell so bad timing and win at Arsenal pushes them back properly into top 6 fight.

3-1 defeat.

Davis really should start imo, can't see any logic for Traore to start and Barkley didn't do enough for me although possible DS will keep him in given how many former players score v their ex clubs, will probably score the match winning OG given how it's gone for him since mid Jan!

I'd also be starting Ramsey as think just two in CM is asking for trouble as would mean Rodriguez gets too much space between midfield and back 4. Need Doug to do a good job on him in this one and starve Richarlison and DCL of decent throughballs.

Edited by VillaChris

56 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Seems like Everton haven't won at home since Duncan Ferguson played for them so think we know what's happening here.

They've got most of their first choice back fit again aswell so bad timing and win at Arsenal pushes them back properly into top 6 fight.

3-1 defeat.

Davis really should start imo, can't see any logic for Traore to start and Barkley didn't do enough for me although possible DS will keep him in given how many former players score v their ex clubs, will probably score the match winning OG given how it's gone for him since mid Jan!

I'd also be starting Ramsey as think just two in CM is asking for trouble as would mean Rodriguez gets too much space between midfield and back 4. Need Doug to do a good job on him in this one and starve Richarlison and DCL of decent throughballs.

Davis deserves a start but he won't. We all know he won't, sadly.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Doesn't deserve a start but deserves to come on earlier if things are going to plan.

He deserves a start over Traore for sure - and a couple of others. The problem is unless we change formation or Watkins plays wider (or Davis does) then he ain't going to play.

I am in the "we've nothing to lose" camp and we should experiment a little but I don't think it will happen and it will be the tried and tested 4-3-3.

I personally think its either Barkley or Traore as they both offer very little without the ball - And Ross actually played ok against WBA so he would get the nod for me.

So.... Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Mings, Targett, Watkins, Ramsey, McGinn, Barkley, El Ghazi, Davis.

Prediction - another Desmond.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Raver50032 said:

Most played fixture in the top flight, rah-rah-rah and all that jazz...

Pretty incredible how close it is in terms of wins when it goes over 200+ games. You'd think one of the teams would have pulled away at some point.

1 hour ago, WakefieldVillan said:

He deserves a start over Traore for sure - and a couple of others. The problem is unless we change formation or Watkins plays wider (or Davis does) then he ain't going to play.

I am in the "we've nothing to lose" camp and we should experiment a little but I don't think it will happen and it will be the tried and tested 4-3-3.

I personally think its either Barkley or Traore as they both offer very little without the ball - And Ross actually played ok against WBA so he would get the nod for me.

So.... Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Mings, Targett, Watkins, Ramsey, McGinn, Barkley, El Ghazi, Davis.

Prediction - another Desmond.

No chance! One of the few flair players we have on the pitch without Jack madness to drop Traore for KD. 

And I like KD!

Edited by zab6359
  • Like 2

On 27/04/2021 at 20:55, OutByEaster? said:

We'll have Cash back for this one, so I'd guess the back five picks itself:

--------------------------------Martinez-------------------------------------

Cash-------------Konsa-------------Mings------------------Targett

And then it becomes a matter of whether we stick with the two wingers without Jack and Trez or mix things up a bit - personally I'd mix things up, but I think Dean Smith will stay with the shape - so:

-----------------------Luiz----------------McGinn-------------------------

Traore---------------------Barkley----------------------------El Ghazi

-------------------------------Watkins----------------------------------------

bench of:

Heaton, Taylor, Elmohamady, Hause, Engels, Nakamba, Ramsey, Davis, Wesley

There's no real wide option on the bench which would mean if Traore comes off we'd have to move maybe Cash there and bring on Elmo and if El Ghazi went dow we'd possibly move Watkins - neither of those options are ideal, but I can't see us dropping Wesley off the bench for JPB - I think the psychological benefit to Wesley (and the others) of his return trumps any tactical benefit.

tldr; same as.

I'd go with this too. Maybe too soon to start Wes up front with Watkins but that'd be something I wouldn't mind seeing before the season is out. 

Tough game this, but could see us grabbing a point. 

1-1 Traore

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

No chance! One of the few flair players we have on the pitch without Jack madness to drop Traore for KD. 

And I like KD!

when flair don't work....work beats flair.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

when flair don't work....work beats flair.

It does and that why I like Trez. Davis deserves a start and its a toss up which wide player make way but Watkins I think would be better on the left than the right so Traore keeps his place for now.

7 hours ago, PaulC said:

It does and that why I like Trez. Davis deserves a start and its a toss up which wide player make way but Watkins I think would be better on the left than the right so Traore keeps his place for now.

The problem is Paul, when you labour, the point about work rate, like me, folk think you don't favour flair, nothing could be further from the truth.

When you watch games in the Premier League, running is a major feature of everything that good comes from....and I mean hard running in to dangerous spaces, not idle minded running in to space to avoid contact...chasing lost causes etc.

I am not sure about starting, but he needs more game time to progress.....and we are not exactly stuck for who to take off, judging by so many indifferent performances.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, TRO said:

The problem is Paul, when you labour, the point about work rate, like me, folk think you don't favour flair, nothing could be further from the truth.

When you watch games in the Premier League, running is a major feature of everything that good comes from....and I mean hard running in to dangerous spaces, not idle minded running in to space to avoid contact...chasing last causes etc.

I am not sure about starting, but he needs more game time to progress.

Oops sorry for the duplication....pressed quote instead of edit.

Edited by TRO