Ratings & Reactions: Villa v West Brom

limpid

Match Polls  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/04/21 at 22:59

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Martinez - kept the game alive for us. Highlight being the save to somehow lift an Konsa header onto the roof of the net from under the bar.

Elmo - started slowly, almost scored an absolutely incredible volley, all time highlight reel stuff, better as the game went on.

Konsa - a really bad day at the office. Slip gives them the lead, and just really not there somehow tonight.

Mings - seemed to have been given a much more free role, but didn't really achieve much. Unlucky with the own goal.

Targett - best outfield player by a distance. Was basically the only out ball for most of the match.

Luiz - a few decent touches, much less defensive focus, but not really much beyond that.

McGinn - rubbish in the first half, couldn't make a pass, ran the match in the final 20.

Barkley - better than most of his appearances recently, was involved for a start, got the pen, had a decent shot, but otherwise he's just a bit..  nothing

El Ghazi - he takes a bloody good penalty. More in the game than he has in recent times, but little made an impact

Watkins - fouled all match, got nothing. Good assist for the second goal rescuing a cross that looked to be joining the long list of useless ones.

Traore - barely in the game, did very little of worth. He's got skill but he does something with it so rarely.

Ramsey - on for Luiz for some reason. 

Davis - hit the post, and grabbed a goal from nothing really, he's waited long enough for it. Good stuff.

Wes - on for a couple of minutes and managed to get a header on target. Good to see him back.

That's probably a decent match to watch for the neutral, and we were better than we have been recently, but that was mostly down to West Brom being a bit crap.

Shout out to an absolutely appalling ref. We couldn't buy a foul all match, the Baggies just had to ask for one. 2 soft penalties, the one for them being absolutely absurd in how sorry it was. I'm fairly sure he got a couple of corners and throw ins wrong as well. Awful.

Not far off agreement, but Berkeley was ok, you are showing the VT Berkeley hate that so many here have. Luiz was very average, happy to see him subbed. Thought Traore was ok on balance, but no worse than anyone else. I think McGinn leads a charmed existence. If we had a Targett #2 on the RHS we would be awesome, he is a brilliant player for us, if everyone played at his level we would be top 6.

12 minutes ago, dcdedi said:

2542CD2A-9F14-4421-8C28-A16C17E7302F.jpeg

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Six of the teams on that table have spent more than us according to...(checks notes) that table.

And didn’t have to replace 11 first team players.

Thought we showed good character in the end. Was an exciting match in general. 

We created a metric tonne of chances which if we’d taken would have meant a win. The pens were crap really, but I have to give it to Albion they were bang up for a fight. 

Positives for me- Davis with a long overdue goal. Monkey off back and i’m made up for the lad. If he can kick on then I would be glad to reevaluate him. 

Also big Wes is back and gives us some options.

Negatives- Bad day at the office for Ollie. He needed to be more clinical, as did most of our frontline, but he’ll know that himself.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Martinez - kept the game alive for us. Highlight being the save to somehow lift an Konsa header onto the roof of the net from under the bar.

Elmo - started slowly, almost scored an absolutely incredible volley, all time highlight reel stuff, better as the game went on.

Konsa - a really bad day at the office. Slip gives them the lead, and just really not there somehow tonight.

Mings - seemed to have been given a much more free role, but didn't really achieve much. Unlucky with the own goal.

Targett - best outfield player by a distance. Was basically the only out ball for most of the match.

Luiz - a few decent touches, much less defensive focus, but not really much beyond that.

McGinn - rubbish in the first half, couldn't make a pass, ran the match in the final 20.

Barkley - better than most of his appearances recently, was involved for a start, got the pen, had a decent shot, but otherwise he's just a bit..  nothing

El Ghazi - he takes a bloody good penalty. More in the game than he has in recent times, but little made an impact

Watkins - fouled all match, got nothing. Good assist for the second goal rescuing a cross that looked to be joining the long list of useless ones.

Traore - barely in the game, did very little of worth. He's got skill but he does something with it so rarely.

Ramsey - on for Luiz for some reason. 

Davis - hit the post, and grabbed a goal from nothing really, he's waited long enough for it. Good stuff.

Wes - on for a couple of minutes and managed to get a header on target. Good to see him back.

That's probably a decent match to watch for the neutral, and we were better than we have been recently, but that was mostly down to West Brom being a bit crap.

Shout out to an absolutely appalling ref. We couldn't buy a foul all match, the Baggies just had to ask for one. 2 soft penalties, the one for them being absolutely absurd in how sorry it was. I'm fairly sure he got a couple of corners and throw ins wrong as well. Awful.

Already said it in here but I can’t have mings was unlucky for the own goal he should have been across to the guy before he got in the box. The reason he was in more or less the centre of the goal when he got the touch was poor positioning and it happens to often with mings where he backs off rather than closing the man quickly 

Oh well at least we didn't lose  and we are 10 points off already from last season but we are struggling at the mo. To be behind at home with 15 to go for both Fulham and Albion isn't great- but at least some character in coming back and getting 4 points out of the 2 games.

22 minutes ago, allani said:

Our keeper is comfortably man of the match and we're unlucky not to win.  I genuinely can't see how those two stack up... 

Their keeper didn't do so bad either, did he? That would mean it was game with chances on both ends, with us having quite a bit more of them

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AXD said:

Their keeper didn't do so bad either, did he? That would mean it was game with chances on both ends, with us having quite a bit more of them

And we had no threat from corners (save for at the end), bulk of Albion chances stemmed from those

It was a 3 on 1!

Similar thing happened a few weeks ago where mings got left in no man's land thanks to a team mate and then got criticised for closing the ball down leaving an easy square ball tap in 

He's unlucky that if his leg was an inch longer that would be considered a superb piece of defending that saved a goal, his decision making was fine 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

He couldn't go straight out to the player as there would have been a pass on to the man behind him - at that point he's essentially dealing with two, trying to stop the pass and hoping to close out the angle, in the end that wasn't possible - but personally I don't place any of the responsibility for that goal on Mings (other than that he's ended up scoring it obviously).

I agree, Mings was keeping positioning for as long as he could. Any other direction he’d be praised for the block. 

Case in point: Bartley almost chests it into his goal but it goes around the post instead. They sometimes go in, they sometimes don’t. Just rotten luck. 

Edited by The_Steve

Really happy for Keinan and Wesley.

Should have won today but couldn’t make domination of the ball count and they got a dodgy penalty. Also Ezri Konsa had a shocker (he’s been so good all season I’ll let him off one bad performance).

Actually thought Barkley had his best game for ages. El Ghazi my MOTM. Targett also played well. Emi some top saves as ever. 

Should’ve won so v frustrating but always nice to get a late late equaliser. 

1 minute ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Yep they showed it at half time. It was extremely innocuous. But the pundits went with the "in this day and age it's a penalty" line.

The frustrating thing was that they did the exact same thing to Watkins all over the pitch and he got nothing out of Attwell 

It was a dive, contact means foul, dive soft as shit penalty, horrible to see 

Â