Ratings & Reactions: Villa v West Brom

limpid

Match Polls  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/04/21 at 22:59

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Six of the teams on that table have spent more than us according to...(checks notes) that table.

And look at the arrivals. Our money spent per player is kinda low as the table proves.

4 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Isn't that the point though? We're not F&&& Man City either mate. Pretty F&&& far from it. 

Didn't realise you had to have Man City quality to beat a team that has won 5 all season. They were shite we were Lucky.

• Like 2

That was painful to watch. 

If it hadn’t been for Emi, we would have conceded about 4 goals, including the most spectacular own goal in the history of the premier league.

So pleased for Keinan. He has looked better and better in his recent cameo appearances. Can’t help but think that with better coaching and management, he could have become more of an asset for us by now.

The by now familiar performance of going a goal up then letting the other side back into the game. Fortunately, the Baggies’ obvious defensive frailties were so great that even our faltering attack managed to equalise, but we were lucky that Emi had kept us in the game to that point.

We gave them far too much time and space in midfield for long sections of the match and we were ourselves sloppy and unimaginative in that area.

Still, as we know, the manager isn’t so much bothered with results as he is with performance, so let’s hope he is happy with that.

• Like 2

Martinez - kept the game alive for us. Highlight being the save to somehow lift an Konsa header onto the roof of the net from under the bar.

Elmo - started slowly, almost scored an absolutely incredible volley, all time highlight reel stuff, better as the game went on.

Konsa - a really bad day at the office. Slip gives them the lead, and just really not there somehow tonight.

Mings - seemed to have been given a much more free role, but didn't really achieve much. Unlucky with the own goal.

Targett - best outfield player by a distance. Was basically the only out ball for most of the match.

Luiz - a few decent touches, much less defensive focus, but not really much beyond that.

McGinn - rubbish in the first half, couldn't make a pass, ran the match in the final 20.

Barkley - better than most of his appearances recently, was involved for a start, got the pen, had a decent shot, but otherwise he's just a bit..  nothing

El Ghazi - he takes a bloody good penalty. More in the game than he has in recent times, but little made an impact

Watkins - fouled all match, got nothing. Good assist for the second goal rescuing a cross that looked to be joining the long list of useless ones.

Traore - barely in the game, did very little of worth. He's got skill but he does something with it so rarely.

Ramsey - on for Luiz for some reason. 

Davis - hit the post, and grabbed a goal from nothing really, he's waited long enough for it. Good stuff.

Wes - on for a couple of minutes and managed to get a header on target. Good to see him back.

That's probably a decent match to watch for the neutral, and we were better than we have been recently, but that was mostly down to West Brom being a bit crap.

Shout out to an absolutely appalling ref. We couldn't buy a foul all match, the Baggies just had to ask for one. 2 soft penalties, the one for them being absolutely absurd in how sorry it was. I'm fairly sure he got a couple of corners and throw ins wrong as well. Awful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bojong said:

So happy for Davis! I really believe there's a great player in there. Hopefully the goal lifts his confidence.

Getting 10 minutes because we're losing is never going to improve anyone. This has to change.

• Like 2

Just now, Don_Simon said:

This states we spent less than  Man Utd, Man City, Spurs, Inter Milan, Barca and Real. 

You've successfully obliterated your own point. Congrats.

Net spend. Just use basic mathematics. 😂

5 minutes ago, est1874 said:

I think you're looking for a different word. It's not fickle if the same people have been saying it for a long time.

FWIW I adore Dean Smith. I think he's a good manager. Unfortunately good is not going to be enough to take us where we want to get to as a club. 

There's no easy solution and I don't think there's an obvious candidate for who could take us on and take us further, but that doesn't mean that Dean is immune from criticism and just gets unwavering support when he makes daft decisions and/or his gameplans don't work.

I've said it before: he is a good, but very limited, manager.

Yeah, I’m sticking with fickle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Didn't realise you had to have Man City quality to beat a team that has won 5 all season. They were shite we were Lucky.

Please go and take another look at the stats. If anything we was damn Unlucky. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dcdedi said:

Ah, but that's not what you claimed.

It'd be interesting to see the squads those teams had two years ago, I'm fairly sure ours will have been a teeny tiny bit weaker than some of the others that have outspent us.

• Like 2

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

And look at the arrivals. Our money spent per player is kinda low as the table proves.

That is the main issue - FFP meant that our owners were unable to build one team, we've had to build two and we still need at least one more new team to get to where they want to be.  Without FFP we'd have spent less because we'd have been able to target better players first time around.  Still would have been tough to persuade good players to sign for a team that has just been promoted / just avoided relegation - but I think we have a really good vision to sell and some excellent people to sell it.

• Like 1

Big Sam is such a bitter clearing in the woods.

I didn't think we were that bad and certainly deserved a point, possibly more.

A combination of silly mistakes (Konsa), poor refereeing, subs on too late, maybe is what cost us the 3 points but I don't think we played as a team who's "on the beach" just the quality and consistency is lacking at times and obviously we miss you know who. 

These hit Chelsea for 5 recently, are fighting for their lives and have a player in Pereira we should be looking at bringing to VP next summer, they're extremely physical and used a weak referee to their advantage tonight.

Anyway, we've effectively finished them off now and I'm so pleased it was the much maligned Keinan Davis. In 8 minutes he nearly had a hat-trick, things happen when he's on the pitch, wish people would cut him some slack.

Finally, Smith out calls are just nonsense BTW.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dcdedi said:

Aaaaah, sorry mate. I misread your post. I didn't see the "net" spend bit. 

I'm trusting you here, there's no way you're re-writing your post after the fact, are you?

Â