Pre match thread

VillaChris

Just now, sne said:

Who knows, maybe Barkley can be bothered to turn up this time. 15th time's the charm.

I'm not counting on it, we have gone from a team against city not being arsed to go after them to a team adding more can't be arsed players into the side and possibly just caving in quickly if they score where WB will just be happy to sit back after that and we've lost.

All excited to see Wesley back not so long ago we had nicknamed him Weskey, 

Big lad, gets knocked over by tiny defenders, always moaning and sneaky kicks at people who dont even have the ball, waste of a shirt blah blah and I was one of them moaning about him

All forgiven now, hope he gets on the pitch and shows us what he is all about 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Big lad, gets knocked over by tiny defenders, always moaning and sneaky kicks at people who dont even have the ball, waste of a shirt blah blah and I was one of them moaning about him

I'm wondering if Deano has had him practising for a certain role recently?

David and him both on the bench. Wonder if Deano could be tempted to go all out 4 - 3 - 3 or 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 if things aren't working out. With all strikers on?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Ahhh before his injury he wernt getting knocked over so much and were even giving back as good as he got.

I think he was largely playing a game that he was instructed to by Smith. Remember we have Grealish so if he slows the game down and annoys teams like Grealish does then that's two players largely pissing off opponents. Whatever Wesley did in his time with us worked for us, he were the cause as to why we were successful in games and the moment we lost him and Mcginn were the reason we struggled way way more.

Just now, Robtaylor200 said:

Cant tell me you didnt compare Wes to Heskey 

Ha ha. Weirdly I wrote that comment before I’d read your post Rob so was just odd timing to be the post after yours.

I was always rooting for Wes and was desperate for him to kick on... but he was a bit rubbish at times wasn’t he? But young player, new league, struggling side though, so lots of good reasons to give him another chance. I think we all agree we’d love him to come back strong. 

• Like 1

Buzzing for Wes to even be in the squad. Ideal world we're in a comfortable enough position to give him a few token minutes at the end. Might be wishful thinking, granted. 

Otherwise it's quite bleak reading looking at that bench, very much highlights how much work we still have to do with the squad. Still and all we've the better starting XI so here's hoping this is the game where things start to click again for us.

5 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Can never really understand when our fans make up nicknames to slag of our own players... just seems odd to me

I've raised this too. It's not even intelligent. It's Trump esque, and he's a **** moron. 

17 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's Jack away from being our strongest side, no (suspension notwithstanding)? That was the side we were playing in December when we were on fire.

Also Cash, and both El Ghazi and Barkley are horribly out of form.

10 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

It'll be interesting to see how Barkley reacts to inevitably being subbed off.

I'm interested to see how Barkley reacts when he plays well and responds to the constant fan criticism of him when perhaps, perhaps, he needed support. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The thing is, at least the other players who aren't quite hitting the level we need are our players, and young players. We have very little to play for, so why waste time helping this chancer reclaim his form when he's been underperforming for months and his time with us is nearly at an end?

I can see the sense in that. But also look at the uproar over Smith when we don't win. If Barkley can help us, we might as well try. 

He's been poor but we've been no better without him. Our creativity is so limited at the moment and for all his flaws, he can create something. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Don_Simon said:

I'm interested to see how Barkley reacts when he plays well and responds to the constant fan criticism of him when perhaps, perhaps, he needed support. 

I've never understood the desperation to attack Ross Barkley. 

• Like 1