Pre match thread

VillaChris

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

what a stat, only Sheffield United and Southampton have lost more PL games than Villa in 2021........

that says it all.

..............but not appreciated by some.

So, what am I looking for from this game......Fortitude.

Inc The coaching staff.

We have the ability to win the game.....we just need the mentality to match.

Things I don't want to see tonight:

Slow, laboured passing or unnecessary passing sideways or backwards when not under pressure. Switching off/standing still after completing a pass.

What I want to see:

Working hard off the ball and moving into a positive position once a pass has been completed. Showing some controlled aggression. Determination to provide service for Ollie.

Not much to ask surely! 

• Like 1

Martinez

Kesler    Konsa    Mings    Targett

Luiz

McGinn     Chukwuemeka

Traore        Watkins       Ramsey

Why not just give the lads a go today. I don't think either are first team ready; but that will only come with game time.

The safe option is to play Elmo & Nakamba; but we know that we will play safe, boring, predictable football.

Give some game time to Kesler, Chuk & Ramsey; players with something to prove against supposed weaker oppostion.

• Thanks 1

Kesler has never even made the subs bench yet has he? For all we know he might not even be ready for a spot in the bench until 2022 or maybe he will never make the step up to Premier League football.

Only the coaches and manager know how far along his development is.

so i don’t understand the clamour for an unknown kid to play!

5 hours ago, One For The Road said:

You reacted with a confused face to me saying Davis is s***, which his stats prove undoubtedly he is, and yet say El Ghazi should never play in the PL?

Now whilst AEG isn't the best winger we've ever had, he has scored some vital goals and is at least a hundred billion times better than League 2 standard Davis. 

Seriously, if literally anybody else had Davis' stats, they'd be laughed out of Villa Park. Instead, there are calls for him to even start! Yet El Ghazi, with pretty good stats for a bit part winger, gets dogs abuse from so many. Unbelievable

Because Davis has never, in recent times, had a proper chance/run in our, or any, team.  He did get a bit of a chance against Fulham and had an impact.

El Ghazi has been awful over the last 12 games - and he has had several proper chances in that run.  He is so predictable - always wants to come inside and get a shot off on his right foot - that it is easy for quality defenders to play him.  Worse than this though, I just don't think he has the heart to be a decent PL player - Trez is short on quality but he has heart and I would take this all day long over someone like AEG.

I am not sure about Davis - he looks like he has some ability almost like a modern day Heskey.  I watched him in the championship when I think he made his full debut and he created a hat trick for Hourihane v Norwich at VP and was unplayable.  I hope he gets a chance to play regularly next season on loan so we can see if he has got what I hope he has (he may not get to come back if we go out and sign, say, Edouard, but he could as a 3rd choice or we might get some value for him).

I also want to see us play a proper two up front with Ollie getting support.  I think Ollie is often isolated and could benefit massively from a big lump to play off/draw defenders away. 

1 hour ago, birdman said:

Things I don't want to see tonight:

Slow, laboured passing or unnecessary passing sideways or backwards when not under pressure. Switching off/standing still after completing a pass.

What I want to see:

Working hard off the ball and moving into a positive position once a pass has been completed. Showing some controlled aggression. Determination to provide service for Ollie.

Not much to ask surely! 

I would like to add to your check list of plenty of intercepting and not sitting off the ball and backing off like we did against city.

Surely Smith should look back on his first half season team and see how much better we were because of how much we denied opposition the ball and space to use it as we were so quick to deny.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

Martinez

Kesler    Konsa    Mings    Targett

Luiz

McGinn     Chukwuemeka

Traore        Watkins       Ramsey

Why not just give the lads a go today. I don't think either are first team ready; but that will only come with game time.

The safe option is to play Elmo & Nakamba; but we know that we will play safe, boring, predictable football.

Give some game time to Kesler, Chuk & Ramsey; players with something to prove against supposed weaker oppostion.

I like your first eleven but I'd add Barry to the bench and bring him on after half time.

Edited by Dave-R

Just now, Dave-R said:

I like your first eleven but I'd add Barry to the bench and bring him on after half time.

Let’s not play a load of kids that have never played a Premier League match and lose badly.

• Like 4

Just now, ender4 said:

Let’s not play a load of kids that have never played a Premier League match and lose badly.

But they did against Liverpool, against the champs and Barry scored.

It's about bedding them in and we should use the remainder of this season to do that. Stop seeing them as kids, they are in the U23s and are verging on first team bench places or better.

Any other fanbase would gladly have some youth come in and play first team football, but our fanbase seem to just want to bubble wrap them forever. Do we not remember what happened to our last lost of youth, we had to move them on because they had never been used enough and properly or given the right experience. We have a ton of games left that even if we played a full team of seniors it wouldn't make a difference to where we placed because there's nothing to gain. We are not getting Europe so use the time to prepare some youth which in turn readying some youth up could add players for next season where other players maybe leaving us, a cheap way of adding talent. Then the gaps were left with then go spend our transfer budget in the summer.

We should not be overlooking Youth players as much as what we do, we have players who are not bringing the goods on a game by game basis and we need someone to step up, maybe youth can do it. Sometimes you have to go through all your toys to find the right working set and for all we know our answered could lie in a few of those youth players.

I am certainly down for trying while there's nothing to gain and nothing to lose.

7 minutes ago, ender4 said:

You'd rather play a load of experienced players (hopefully a few of which will be leaving in the summer - AEG, Barkley, Nakamba, Elmo hopefully) and play terrible football but hopefully not lose too badly?  Because that is what has happened largely over the past dozen games or so.

I'm with the others.  I'd rather try something different - maybe it won't work, but just maybe it will and we'll also get a glimpse of the future potentially.

Just now, Dave-R said:

But they did against Liverpool, against the champs and Barry scored.

It's about bedding them in and we should use the remainder of this season to do that. Stop seeing them as kids, they are in the U23s and are verging on first team bench places or better.

Any other fanbase would gladly have some youth come in and play first team football, but our fanbase seem to just want to bubble wrap them forever. Do we not remember what happened to our last lost of youth, we had to move them on because they had never been used enough and properly or given the right experience. We have a ton of games left that even if we played a full team of seniors it wouldn't make a difference to where we placed because there's nothing to gain. We are not getting Europe so use the time to prepare some youth which in turn readying some youth up could add players for next season where other players maybe leaving us, a cheap way of adding talent. Then the gaps were left with then go spend our transfer budget in the summer.

We should not be overlooking Youth players as much as what we do, we have players who are not bringing the goods on a game by game basis and we need someone to step up, maybe youth can do it. Sometimes you have to go through all your toys to find the right working set and for all we know our answered could lie in a few of those youth players.

I am certainly down for trying while there's nothing to gain and nothing to lose.

I’m not disagreeing with that. 

But players like Kessler and Chuk and Barry have never even made the subs bench of a Premier League match yet, yet people want them to start.

Surely the sensible way is to have them in the subs bench for a few matches, start letting them have a few minutes here and there and slowly they get more experience.

Like Ramsey for example.

Its not going to do them any good to just be thrown in the deep end of a full match where we are desperate for a win to halt our bad form.

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with giving them time, and I'd like to see Barry,Chuk and Ramsey all involved st some point tonight.

If we throw them all in from the start and we get heavily beaten, that's not going to help them in the long term. 

10 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I’m not disagreeing with that. 

But players like Kessler and Chuk and Barry have never even made the subs bench of a Premier League match yet, yet people want them to start.

Surely the sensible way is to have them in the subs bench for a few matches, start letting them have a few minutes here and there and slowly they get more experience.

Like Ramsey for example.

Its not going to do them any good to just be thrown in the deep end of a full match where we are desperate for a win to halt our bad form.

That's why I said put Barry in the subs bench if you ready my post properly. Have Barry on the bench and later come on for Watkins to give Barry time on the field.

Some players can thrive of being thrown in at the deep end, some can't.

I would say if were winning and there's a good chance our lads can take the game by a win then sure use the U23s, we just have to start using them more. Ramsey has shown positive signs recently, i think he's been very good and with experience will no doubt get better. That experience has to come with some game time against better opponents in the best league of all. Being a bench boy for the remainder of this season should be a thing for the youth mentioned above, that should be the minimum.

Edited by Dave-R