Pre match thread

VillaChris

There are a few decisions to make here. Who plays at right back? I'd assume it's Elmo and Kesler gets on the bench. 

Does JJ start again in midfield or does Barkley get an undeserved start? 

Do we go with Davis from the start or stick with 4-3-3? 

This is the team I'd like to see but I don't see DS going for it. 

Emi

Kesler Konsa Mings Targett

Luiz

AEG McGinn  Traore

Watkins Davis 

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Wouldn't mind seeing this BUT really don't want Elmo in so would rather see Kessler.

I totally agree but think Smith will go with the tried and trusted Elmo, which is why I think he would suit playing in a back five rather than a four.  I do worry about the height of some of the Albion lot, which is why I think Hause would be useful for this one also. 👍

10 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

There are a few decisions to make here. Who plays at right back? I'd assume it's Elmo and Kesler gets on the bench. 

Does JJ start again in midfield or does Barkley get an undeserved start? 

Do we go with Davis from the start or stick with 4-3-3? 

This is the team I'd like to see but I don't see DS going for it. 

Emi

Kesler Konsa Mings Targett

Luiz

AEG McGinn  Traore

Watkins Davis 

I think that would leave us massively exposed in CM with just the two - Luiz and SJM?  The defensive output from AEG and BT is not particularly useful.

Equally, I am not sure why anybody would want to start with either AEG or BT after the last dozen games.  Having said that, I could see BT at 10 behind a Watkins and Davis combination - this would give him freedom but also make his predictability more interesting as he would potentially be harder to pick up.  This would need Nakamba, Sanson or Ramsey to come into CM for me?

I am all for bringing on young players but I’m not getting the clamour to play Kessler just for the sake of it. He has played no first team football as such and while he can obviously hold is own at under 23 level I’m not sure what he would gain personally or the team collectively by playing on Sunday in a game that West Brom should be busting their balls to win. I wonder where the master tactician Big Sam would be aiming his high hoof balls throughout the game ? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Allardyce already getting his excuses in...villa have an advantage because we played a day or two earlier than them 😂

Good. I like this defeatist attitude. His players will hear that too and it might give them licence to fail.

Another evening kick off will be difficult for El Ghazi because of Ramadan.

I think Elmo will start at right back and I think Wesley will be on the bench, not because I think they'll use him but because I think psychologically it'll give him a big lift.

I think we'll start with Ramsey out left-ish but I guess there's a chance we could see Davis start and a change of shape.

----------------------------Martinez-------------------------

Elmo-----------Konsa--------Mings---------Targett

---------------------------Nakamba-------------------------

------------------Luiz------------McGinn------------------

Traore---------------------------------------------Ramsey

---------------------------Watkins----------------------------

subs; Heaton, Kesler, Hause, Engels, Taylor, El Ghazi, Davis, Wesley, Chukwuemeka

We're looking a bit thin numbers wise.

I think we'll win.

well I expect elmo to come jnat right back and with nakamba oferring about as much cover as a flannel at a nudist colony we'll concede at least 2 and struggle to a pathetic draw if we're lucky.  personally I'd go.

martinez

kesler konsa mings target

mcginn luiz sanson

traore davis

watkins

not happy with that tbh but best we can probably do.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, tezzaleed said:

well I expect elmo to come jnat right back and with nakamba oferring about as much cover as a flannel at a nudist colony we'll concede at least 2 and struggle to a pathetic draw if we're lucky.  personally I'd go.

martinez

mcginn luiz sanson

traore davis

watkins

Not sure what Davis can offer in that position but seeing as you appear to be such a jovial chap I assume it’s a joke .

Martinez

Elmo---Konsa---Mings---Targett

McGinn---Nakamba---Luiz

Watkins---Davis---Ramsey

I think Watkins, Davis and Ramsey could play off each other quite nicely, whilst still tracking back and putting a lot of pressure on Albion.

I'm optimistic whoever we start anyway, I'll say 2-0 Villa.  :flag:

One of the games we really should win but fear motivation is what decides this one. They are playing for their PL status and we are not.

Honestly thou they are garbage and has a coach who should not be in football at this level. If we take the game to them, press as a team and play smart we win this even without Grealish (and Cash)

13 hours ago, 8pints said:

Martinez

Elmo---Konsa---Mings---Targett

McGinn---Nakamba---Luiz

Watkins---Davis---Ramsey

I think Watkins, Davis and Ramsey could play off each other quite nicely, whilst still tracking back and putting a lot of pressure on Albion.

I'm optimistic whoever we start anyway, I'll say 2-0 Villa.  :flag:

I would go for similar but swap Bert for Ramsey. We do not have a single player capable of running with the ball other than him (Jack excluded). Bert has been ropey for sure but he does at least carry a threat. Nobody else does.
We need to be more direct too and pick up second balls in the final third. I know it’s prehistoric and I don’t want it ever to be the norm but our inability to get in the final third in any other way is killing us.

16 hours ago, tezzaleed said:

martinez

mcginn luiz sanson

traore davis

watkins

Sanson is injured.

We could effectively relegate WBA on Sunday, surely that is motivation for Villa.

• Like 1