Pre match thread

VillaChris

10 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

On current form WBA are the better team so I'm expecting another defeat, they are playing very well at the moment.

Villa cannot seem to string more than a couple of passes together regardless of who we are playing.

I've actually watched every match this season live and I'm honestly considering not bothering as we've been so poor to watch for awhile now.

If we don't win this one questions will have to be asked of management imo.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wedge said:

Yeah, it's almost as if beating the champions 7-2, steering well clear of relegation and massive improvement isn't enough for some? Not sure what they expected after literally being one point away from the Championship on the final day of last season...

It's the way things have gone since January that's the issue. Relegation form.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Despite their better form and results, I think we win this. A bit like the Fulham game. It all pointed towards an upset and then we just decided we were better than them.  I'm a bit anxious going into it, but I think we're over-thinking and over-stating West Brom's improvement. We're a much better set of individuals and if we can put on a performance as a team then we'll be too much for them.

3-1.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, M_Afro said:

I have no confidence in us to beat anybody at the moment but we do always beat the Albion......don’t we?

Our actual league record v them in last decade isn't really that great. Even in the promotion season we only won one of the four (thankfully the first leg which was crucial) and from 2010 season up to our relegation it was mixed. 12 games and we won 3 of them although many draws in that. And the cup win.

We were streets above them in December but it's levelled out since for both teams even if they're still 20 odd points off us. Their recent form has been good and they have goals in them now.

1 hour ago, wedge said:

Yeah, it's almost as if beating the champions 7-2, steering well clear of relegation and massive improvement isn't enough for some? Not sure what they expected after literally being one point away from the Championship on the final day of last season...

Way it's going we won't be finishing that much higher than last season. We barely win a game between now and end of season and likes of Palace, Southampton and Wolves will need 2-3 wins and a draw or two to finish above us.

That could put us as low as 14th so really 17th to 14th wouldn't exactly be some sort of amazing success. I think I predicted in September 12th so would be lower than my pre season forecast and incredibly disappointing considering where we were in middle of Feb.

Two wins and a couple of draws and we can still finish top 10 so it's there if we can be bothered and then the season has a good look again to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Here's an unpopular one.

The difference between Man City and Albion is such that if we play like we did last night, we'll win this.

We won't lose to them if we get the first goal. They'll have to push forward at some stage and we at least showed v Fulham we can actually score with some open space infront of us.

We'll have plenty of issues if West Brom keep it 0-0 for an hour and then score first. Don't think they'll cave in like Fulham did.

Will be a much more interesting watch than last night though where for 40 minutes each half it was basically Man. City using us as training cones.

They have a lot more to play for but so did Fulham i suppose.

But imo West Brom have a little more about them than Fulham and Big Sam is much more experienced at this than Scott Parker.

I predict a dull 1-1 draw

• Like 1

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

They have a lot more to play for but so did Fulham i suppose.

But imo West Brom have a little more about them than Fulham and Big Sam is much more experienced at this than Scott Parker.

I predict a dull 1-1 draw

Big Sam is making a bit of a bollox of it so far tonight though.

Edited by smg
Spelling
  • Like 1

After watching the game this evening, I would match up with how Leicester lined up. 

The only way Albion will pose a threat is from a set piece, so Hause would be useful.  Elmo would also benefit from playing as a wing back, rather than being a right back in a four I think.

-------------------------------------Martinez-----------------------------------

----------------Konsa------------Mings--------------Hause-------------

Elmo---------------Luiz--------------------Ramsey—————Targett

-------------------------------------McGinn-------------------------------------

----------------------Davis-----------------------Watkins-------------------

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

After watching the game this evening, I would match up with how Leicester lined up. 

The only way Albion will pose a threat is from a set piece, so Hause would be useful.  Elmo would also benefit from playing as a wing back, rather than being a right back in a four I think.

-------------------------------------Martinez-----------------------------------

----------------Konsa------------Mings--------------Hause-------------

Elmo---------------Luiz--------------------Ramsey—————Targett

-------------------------------------McGinn-------------------------------------

----------------------Davis-----------------------Watkins-------------------

Wouldn't mind seeing this BUT really don't want Elmo in so would rather see Kessler.