Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Man City

limpid

Match Polls  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/04/21 at 22:59

A defeat was absolutely the expected result, they’re probably the top team in Europe. It was kind of sad how easy it looked for them.

What i took from today is that the majority of our XI are middle of the table quality. Konsa and Ollie are Europa League quality. Jack and Emi are Champions League quality.

• Like 2

Just now, est1874 said:

We really need, as a fanbase, to drop this narrative whereby Leeds have been lucky this season and other clubs have been wasteful against them.

They are set up to rock the opponent, disrupt their game plan, and make them doubt their defensive capabilities.

By contrast, we are not.

they were a little lucky in that they met a City that hit the post A LOT that night. they were not lucky in the way they fought bravely. I think they played excellent, but that game really could have swung differently.

• Like 1

What a poor decision out of cash, he was excellent up until that point, tonight and for the whole season. 

Barkely played well when he came on, glad to see it and hopefully he'll kick on. 

Luiz was OK some decent passing at times but miles off what we know he can do. 

Not a bad performance but not a great one either, man City have a great way of strangling opponents once the go ahead. 

3 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

no but they met a Citeh that were wasteful and hit the bar+posts all game. the Citeh we played today looked a lot better.

Completely agree.  

The Man City today was a different attitude to the one against Leeds.

Martinez - at fault for the second goal.

Cash - gets a soft booking, then 3 minutes later loses his head in frustration at miscontrolling the ball and gets sent off. Moronic.

Konsa - not much that can be said.

Mings - quick thinking for the freekick to score, beyond that not much to say.

Targett - can't say much

Nakamba - game passed him by.

Luiz - game also passed him by

McGinn - good finish for the goal, then proceeded to give the ball away all match.

Traore - invisible man

Watkins - assist for the goal, and then watched the match.

Ramsey - fouled by Walker to no end, fouled by Stones to have him sent off, and then subbed. And that's it.

Davis - started with some intent but then became a spectator

Barkley - what's the point?

El Ghazi - not sure he touched the ball.

Appalling game, awful ref, nothing of worth came from this from a Villa perspective. You'd get more benefit from smashing your bollocks in a drawer for 2 hours.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, AVFCDAN said:

Tell that to Leeds and Bielsa then because they didn’t get the memo.

Games like today really make me question Smith as a top level coach, what was our plan today because from start to finish it didn’t seem like we had one to me.

I don't need to. I watched the game. Leeds sat with their team in their own box and let man City shoot at will. 99/100 man City would have won. 

5 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

We've been outplayed by the future European champions. 

Their bench us worth more than our first team squad. 

Everyone of their players with the exception of konsa is better than ours.

It's not tactics  it's not Smith, it's not coaching  it's money............

I really dont get these comments. Leeds literally just beat them, with fewer players.

Everyone knows how much money they've spent. It was a bad performance from us. Should have got a point given we started a goal up and they played most the game with ten men.

Pretty pathetic really. Ok, you're miles behind them in quality so at least match them for effort and desire. We were so lazy, so passive, so nonchalant about it all. Short passes,silly flicks and no one busting a gut.

Martinez would be a truly world class keeper if he had better distribution, could see the difference between the two keepers today. Defensively we continue to throw our bodies at everything but the quality is low. I gave Targett MOTM for his defensive display as it was the most assured of anyone but going forward he was awful. Cash was lazy and stupid with the two yellows, they were both due to not being bothered. The midfield is horrific. I'm not even sure what to say anymore. Luiz and McGinn gave such silly balls away constantly. Luiz couldn't be bothered to challenge anyone. Watkins working hard but little to feed off as usual.

I'm surprised we haven't been fined for breaking Covid rules as these lot have been on the beach for weeks now.

I really question the work ethic of this team. Smith looked as though he found it all hilarious at the end slapping Pep's hand and giving him a hug. Shows the attitude of the team at the moment - nothing to play for.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

they were a little lucky in that they met a City that hit the post A LOT that night. they were not lucky in the way they fought bravely. I think they played excellent, but that game really could have swung differently.

Exactly.

It was a different team. No Foden, Gund, Rodri. Riaz. I guarantee had even Foden played against them they would have won. Kids on fire   

Stupid to compare the 2 games.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

Just now, turvontour said:

I really dont get these comments. Leeds literally just beat them, with fewer players.

Everyone knows how much money they've spent. It was a bad performance from us. Should have got a point given we started a goal up and they played most the game with ten men.

Leeds have spent she'd loads its it a myth they haven't.

How long did the 10 man advantage last tonight?

5 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Leeds are the fittest team in the league after City (everyone knows what I think of city and their performance enhancing drugs). That's what we need to aim for. 

Leeds you say.....

spacer.png

• Like 1

Showed no fear, went 1 nil up and could have got a second...  

Then just stopped.

While man City played very well we played shocking after the 6th minute.

Luiz seems back to the dog dirt performance of pre 1st covid.

Mgcinn seems to be playing half the time for the other team the amount he passes them the ball.

Traore is just traore, doesn't do anything except cut back slowing it all right down or giving it away.

We had a chance when they went down to 10 but cash getting 2 cards in 5 minutes saw the game drift away.

May I just add, if others had put themselves about a bit ( Luiz number 1 shirker) then maybe cash doesn't feel he has to go in on the player ? 

Putting dross Berkley on, saw the game leg it out the stadium and disappear in a cloud of poo smoke.

Martinez kicking was utter dirt tonight, davis is on so if you going to hoof it do it towards him not out wide where 90% of the time we lost possession.

Today we saw some terrible basic errors from traore mcginn and Luiz, let's hope they got them all out of the way tonight. I doubt it though.

Great first 26 seconds though !

• Like 1

That result was just as predictable as the Liverpool one. Even scoring first and then being given a life line through the sending off never felt like it would alter the outcome. I hate that we can't string more than two passes together. It's just boringly shit nothingness.

Just now, Demitri_C said:

@Awolto respond to your point in mat h thread threts looked, smith has to take the blame as he aigned most of them

Nakamba is gash, el ghazi is gash, luiz has gone back to being gash

Smith doesn’t really sign the players mate. Nakamba played well until he got hooked (for Ross farking Barkley..), Luiz couldn’t find his arse with both hands at the moment, but I believe in him as a player. El Ghazi I have nothing good to say about, but on today’s performance McGinn and Traore are in that box too. 

Gonna be positive and say it’s good to have a reality check as the window approaches. Too many starters cannot do the basics, no progressive passing, giving the ball away cheaply, it’s dire. If you can’t do the business in midfield then your striker is goosed and the defence under massive pressure. 

We need a lot of work still and few current first teamers are secure - imo. 

Â