Breakaway League

Jareth

Pathetic punishment.

I read elsewhere that the suspended punishment is £20m each and a 30 point deduction. I'm happy with that part. Stops them doing it again (although I'd suggest that suspended punishment applies to the whole league. If ANYONE tries it again, 30 points deduction)

But 20m between the 6 richest teams in english football? Yeah that'll show them

20 minutes ago, AJ said:

It wont.

The owners of these clubs have said that they will pay any fines out of their own pocket.

It’s like saying they’ll sign players out of their own pocket to avoid FFP. I doubt they can.

• Thanks 1

The only positive about this is that there's a stipulation about hefty fines and point deductions were they or anyone else to try this again. That'll stop at least the the level headed amongst the 'big 6' trying this again. Real, Barcelona and Juve are all effed.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Pathetic punishment.

I read elsewhere that the suspended punishment is £20m each and a 30 point deduction. I'm happy with that part. Stops them doing it again (although I'd suggest that suspended punishment applies to the whole league. If ANYONE tries it again, 30 points deduction)

But 20m between the 6 richest teams in english football? Yeah that'll show them

They were always going to go for the middle ground of “some” punishment, but not enough that they’ll get pissed off about enough to challenge.

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

The only positive about this is that there's a stipulation about hefty fines and point deductions were they or anyone else to try this again. That'll stop at least the the level headed amongst the 'big 6' trying this again. Real, Barcelona and Juve are all effed.

Swiss courts have ruled that those 3 aren't effed

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s like saying they’ll sign players out of their own pocket to avoid FFP. I doubt they can.

Just rechecked and stand corrected. What they said was they will pay the Super League exit fee out of their own pocket.

• Thanks 1

It would appear that conspiring to undermine the fopotball pyramid is considered a far less serious offence than Sheffield Wednesday's FFP violation. Funny that.

This isn't really a sporting competition anymore, it's a closed shop ego boost for oligarchs that's been bought and paid for.

Football has cancer and I'd celebrate the Premier League going bust in its entirety to rebuild this sport from the grassroots.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Pathetic, the same noise should be made now as was made when the super league was “formed”

Agreed, it has very much been swept under the carpet, and it's a message of carry on as you were...... nothing to see here.

I bet more than 20 million has been paid into someone's bank account to help smooth things over.   Absolutely pathetic.  Should have told them to f off and when it failed you can rejoin right at the bottom of the pyramid.  Shambles. 

3 hours ago, magnkarl said:

This 3.5m each (plus held off other punishment) is a disgrace it should be more punitive whether banned from European competition for a year, points deduction or heftier fine I dont know but 3.5m is like a £50 fine for a guilty attempted murder charge and then saying if you complete the murder next time you'll get a harder punishment.  I cant believe there is not a minimum points deduction, I'm not surprised but still cant believe it.

• Like 1

angry paul rudd GIF

utterly toothless and ineffective ‘punishment’ to the six teams jeopardising the premier league for their own financial gain. 

should’ve received that each, plus a transfer ban and a points deduction.

They must be pissing themselves right now and already preparing Super Duper League 2! 

13 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

They must be pissing themselves right now and already preparing Super Duper League 2! 

I'd assume that the PL's priority has been ensuring that the agreement to not do it again is water tight. They're not interested in anything more than securing their own profits. For a very brief period of time, the interests of fans and PL bosses were aligned. They're not anymore, and they don't want to piss off the big clubs - they just wanted to protect their slice of the cake.

• Like 2

It's a very weak slap on the wrist. Disappointing.

There are other punishments that can help though, the indirect ones; being stuck where they are, having to compete with teams with new money, not getting the extra income to write off their debt, those things at least get to continue to creep in.

BBC are reporting that anyone that tries it again gets a £25m fine and a 30 point deduction. Realistically I think that should stop another attempt at this, unless Super League V2 is expected to also replace domestic competition.

The actual punishment is a joke, as others have said - it's chump change for a football club. But I guess the continued existence of football where promotion / relegation etc are a real thing is the important thing in the long run. So I take some heart from the first part.

Its a joke punishment, is probably no senior player on less money per year at these clubs than the fine they got. 

Emile Heskey got about 3 million a season at Villa 10 years ago 

Â