Breakaway League

Jareth

Absolutely hilarious 🤣 they dropped this literally hours before the new UEFA champions league was to be announced. Nothing more than pure bluster. UEFA and the FA should call their bluff, PLEASE!  

25 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Sounds like they're passing the buck to regional powers (national FAs and UEFA)

Interesting point I've seen on Twitter; if they intend to start this next season, then there's zero incentive for any of the 6 clubs involved to finish as high as possible, as it doesn't matter, so the integrity of the PL is completely flawed.

And the same every season going forward. Once one of the ‘big 6’ can’t win the title anymore they just play the kids and wait until next season whilst earning all their revenue in the guaranteed mid week competition. 

It is why they have to be kicked out. 

So our remaining PL may have just been cut from 7 to 3 matches, PSG may have just won the CL, Leicester may have just won the FA Cup.

Oh and if this all falls through, the Big 6 start back in the 5th division.

• Like 1

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

Well for years a lot of people have said that the football model is unsustainable and I guess tonight has shown this. Most of the 12 are not doing this from a position of strength but of weakness with huge debts and massive wage bills to pay for.

Not true.  They command the largest fanbases, therefore have the biggest draw for advertisers and will have lot of bargaining power.  Regardless of which league they play in, these clubs will make a lot of money.  The financial knock on effect for domestic and European football for all these teams leaving will be massive.  The FA and Premier League alone will lose billions in advertisements and TV revenue over the next few years.  

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The problem with the favoured position of 'just kick them out' - it's my position too - is that the PL has sold television coverage rights, most of the value of which is bound up in the coverage of these clubs. The other 14 clubs may be outraged at the end of their European aspirations, but can Aston Villa afford to pay tens of millions of pounds in returns to international broadcasters? Can the other 13 clubs?

Probably not, so I suspect they'll get away with it.

very valid points, but then what about these 6 clubs having the rest of their seasons being rendered meaningless? No incentives so surely all of their matches and the integrity of the completion will be under scrutiny  

Just now, rbcuk said:

Champions league and europa have both been temporary cancelled, so could be PSG winning the champions league and a Roma Villarreal final in the europa league 

Is there an actual source for this? (Stan Collymore is not a source)

• Haha 1

I’d like the think the remaining 16 premier league teams will hold an emergency meeting tomorrow with no representatives from the greedy six to discuss sanctions and possible outcomes.

They’re effectively not only ring fencing European competition but also the top 6 positions in the league as no one would be able to compete with them financially. It is criminal.

If they manage to remain in the league, then maybe no player should be allowed to feature in both domestic and super cup competitions and in effect force the greedy six to have 2 full squads. Players won’t want to be part of one competition and not the other. 

• Like 2

So, here are the six English teams that are involved and a way in which you can make some noise about them.

• Man Utd 
    • Owner - Joel Glazer
    • Shirt sponsor - Teamviewer (from next season)
    • Go online and let Teamviewer know that so long as this project is under discussion that you'll never use or buy their products.
    • Use the hashtag #NotbuyingESL
  • Man City
    • Owner - Sheikh Monsour
    • Shirt sponsor - Etihad Airways
    • Go online and let Etihad know that so long as this project is under discussion that you'll never use or buy their products.
    • Go online and support Amnesty international in its ongoing campaign to highlight the human rights record of the UAE.
  • Chelsea
    • Owner - Roman Abramovich
    • Shirt sponsor - Three UK
    • Go online and let 3 know that so long as this project is under discussion that you'll never use or buy their products.
  • Tottenham
    • Owner - Joe Lewis
    • Shirt sponsor - AIA insurance
    • Go online and let AIA know that so long as this project is under discussion that you'll never use or buy their products - it probably won't hurt them much, but noise helps.
    • Joe is the main owner of Mitchells & Butlers, go online and let them know that that so long as this project is under discussion that you'll never use an M&B pub or drink an M&B beer.
  • Arsenal 
    • Owner - Stan Kroenke
    • Shirt sponsor - Emirates Airline
    • Go online and let Emirates know that so long as this project is under discussion that you'll never use or buy their products.
    • Go online and support Amnesty international in its ongoing campaign to highlight the human rights record of the UAE.
    • Stan owns an esports team - The LA Gladiators - Go online and let them know what you think of this proposal and encourage people to consider an alternative esports team to follow
  • Liverpool
    • Owner - John W Henry
    • Shirt sponsor - Expedia (from next season)
    • Go online and let Expedia know that so long as this project is under discussion that you'll never use or buy their products.

I know it ain't much but I'm in a mood and it's all I got.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stewiek2 said:

All those applauding PSG are missin the point regards their non-involvement. They are Qatari owned. To sign up now before the world cup would jeopardize it taking place there. Once the world cup is over (which of course is before the 2024 ESL start) they'll be onboard faster than a rat up a drainpipe.

If you read the Super League statement, they are saying that 3 more clubs will join the 12 before the start of the first season.  The last 5 spots will be filled in the next year or two, probably sold to the highest bidder.  

3 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

All those applauding PSG are missin the point regards their non-involvement. They are Qatari owned. To sign up now before the world cup would jeopardize it taking place there. Once the world cup is over (which of course is before the 2024 ESL start) they'll be onboard faster than a rat up a drainpipe.

They want to start in August!

Serious question to everyone:

If Villa's owners joined this super league in one of the remaining spots, would you stop supporting the club?  I think many of us would be outraged for a few years, but we'd get over it and continue supporting Villa, no matter which league they played in.  

• Like 1

Just now, KMitch said:

If Villa's owners joined this super league in one of the remaining spots, would you stop supporting the club?  I think many of us would be outraged for a few years, but we'd get over it and continue supporting Villa, no matter which league they played in.  

I'd start supporting Rugby a lot more (even though that's going a similar direction), Villa can get **** if they ever had the opportunity and decided to join.

Just now, KMitch said:

Yes, this isnt about Villa this is about a sport we love. Sport is supposed to reward competition and this is the opposite of that 

Not to mention all the amazing history brushed under the carpet

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

I’d be bored by the competition (or lack thereof). I’d follow scorelines, but I’m not paying to stream Villa in a stadium with no atmosphere.

• Like 1

Â